• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what are some embargoed goods available for purchase?

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...?
teacha.gif

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weed, dope and coke.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
you mean aside from weapons of mass destruction, which is difficult but not impossible to purchase, there are contraband that are not available if you go and look for it?

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Well this was my experience, maybe you can do so as well.

1. Go to London.

2. Buy real Cuban cigar, as they are not embargoed in the United Kingdom.

3. Smoke said Cuban cigar.

4. Realize that said cigar is not earthshatteringly better than a good Dominican Republic cigar that, in contrast, is perfectly legal for purchase in the United States.

5. Conclude that as with many things in life, don't believe the hype.

HTH!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is a third generation antique rug merchant and Iranian. He advised me that the USA is now going to put an embargo on rugs from Iran like they did for 10 years in the 70's. The embargo takes effect this month. So, if you want one, this might be a good time to make a deal on one.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Well this was my experience, maybe you can do so as well.

1. Go to London.

2. Buy real Cuban cigar, as they are not embargoed in the United Kingdom.

3. Smoke said Cuban cigar.

4. Realize that said cigar is not earthshatteringly better than a good Dominican Republic cigar that, in contrast, is perfectly legal for purchase in the United States.

5. Conclude that as with many things in life, don't believe the hype.

HTH!

The Dominican Republic ships much of it's tobacco to Cuba to be made into cigars. That is a fact. So, why not just find a good Dominican Cigar anyway? The best cigar I ever had in my life was in the D.R. It was handed to me by a guy hand rolling them. Better than any Cuban cigar and a fraction of the price.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
Weed, dope and coke.
You can get all those at the "farmer's" market in Berkeley

Abraxis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
The Dominican Republic ships much of it's tobacco to Cuba to be made into cigars. That is a fact. So, why not just find a good Dominican Cigar anyway? The best cigar I ever had in my life was in the D.R. It was handed to me by a guy hand rolling them. Better than any Cuban cigar and a fraction of the price.

I dunno. I might have only had experience with really crappy DR cigars, but even more expensive singles that I undoubtedly overpaid for were inferior to cuban machine rolled cigarillos that I've also had.

I also don't find cubans too expensive as something like Ramon Allones Small Club Coronas I've procured from my sources for 100 bucks a box of 25 (4 dollars per cigar). Sure it's a small cigar which is a plus, since I don't generally want or have time to smoke larger ones though when I do I smoke larger Ramon Allones or Partagas SD 4s (About ~200 bucks a box).

Anyway, I'm sure there are DR cigars and other domestically available ones that are better than what I've listed, but these are good, not too expensive and I didn't have to do a lot of trial and error to figure out that I these
smile.gif

ms244

Reaction score
If you count dual use equipment, the list grows a lot longer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads