• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are some different Styles & Looks?

Ricky247

Reaction score
What are some different types of styles and looks that one can dress in? For example: vintage, retro etc.

Thanks!

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
This is pretty broad. What are you really trying to get at? Why do you ask? That will help you get a proper answer.

Of the top of my head:

Western
Nautical
Preppy
Rockabilly
Goth
Disco
Blue Collar
Minimalist
Like a Pirate
etc.
etc.

Some of those are more thematic components of a style and others are actual style tribes. Again, it helps to understand what you're really after.

mrjames

Reaction score
just tell us who your 'style icons' are
who do you want to look like

but to summerise- there's
currrent fashion (which changes daily)
timeless fashion (which changes every 10 years)
and true timelessness (which is so boring that no one pays attention to it)

so you either dress like one of the above 3, you dress in something that's 'out' of fashion, like an 18th century french man

or you craft your own 'style' out of a number of sources. This question is way too broad

Ricky247

Reaction score
Well I really Like the way Johnny depp dresses, but I don't want to be a copy-cat. His ste inspires me, but the point of the question is to help me discover my own style
smile.gif

So pls help me out here!

Grenadier

Reaction score
Well then perhaps this image will provide some assistance:

article-1087007-0282C88F000005DC-862_468x570.jpg

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ricky247
Well I really Like the way Johnny depp dresses, but I don't want to be a copy-cat. His ste inspires me, but the point of the question is to help me discover my own style
smile.gif

So pls help me out here!

Unfortunately it will take much more than the advice we can give in a forum post for you to discover your own style. I can't speak for everyone here, but for me it has been a many years long process involving trial and error.

Here's what I'd recommend:

Start by checking out various style photo blogs. there are lots of them on the web, and on Tumblr in particular. Also check out the WAYWT threads on this forum. You'll get an idea for the many different looks that guys are wearing. Read a couple of style books like the Esquire Handbook of Style and Alan Flusser's work to gain a core understanding of the clothing. This will help in your development.

There's more to it than just finding looks that you like though, because to build a style that suits you, you need to take all of these disparate looks and combine them into a style that works just for you. Also consider your environment (work/casual, weather, urban/rural) etc. because these will have an influence on the way you dress, and the way you should dress. In developing style I also recommend considering your own heritage. Are their ethnic aspects you want to integrate? Is there a style habit of one of your ancestors that you want to incorporate and pay tribute to? Also, consider your ambitions and aspirations. Much like they say to dress the part of the job you want, not the one you have, you may want to blend aspects of the lifestyle you want into what you wear.

Take all of these considerations and synthesize them into a style that speaks to you. Then you'll have achieved your own sense of style.

Good luck!

P.S. If you like the way that Johnny Depp dresses, don't be afraid to copy the **** out of his style for now, but make sure you come to understand the style so you can make it your own. Then it may lead you in a new direction. Everyone steals **** all the time in fashion, but then they call it "inspiration" to make it okay. The artistic process of style is fundamentally derivative, but occasionally something new and unexpected comes out of it, and this is what pushes fashion forward.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads