• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are some classes everyone should take in college?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aperipan
We can see why it's been useful to you. Your opinions are full of derivatives.

You astound me every time you post. In a bad way.

Originally Posted by scarphe
frankly if they do not know calculus at the end of secondary school it is a bad sign, let aloen getting into uni without it. Even classical seconadary schools teach calculus.

I agree, but the reality is that not all high school students take it, and in high school, it tends not to be very rigorous.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
Basic accounting. Understanding a balance sheet beats gravity and electricity every time.

I agree with you, but I still have to get in on an accounting class.
tounge.gif

Sometime before the end of this year.

smath

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I agree about formal logic, though I think it can be both eye opening and limiting at the same time.

I think it's limiting in the sense that every other field of study can be: if you look at everything you experience as an extension of that field, or associate everything with an idea in that field, then you are missing out on the experience as a whole. In general, you shouldn't only have one tool in your bag. Is this how you mean limiting?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by smath
I think it's limiting in the sense that every other field of study can be: if you look at everything you experience as an extension of that field, or associate everything with an idea in that field, then you are missing out on the experience as a whole. In general, you shouldn't only have one tool in your bag. Is this how you mean limiting?
I find that some people expect truth in real life to look like truth in a formal language. If you get past that, then it is a great tool.

Berticus

Reaction score
Talking with some of my peers, calculus wasn't offered in their school. They only took pre-calc. Also, instead of having calculus-based physics, you can have algebra-based physics. My school did both for people who didn't get into calculus, but still wanted to take physics. I'm still in school, so I can't really say what helps in life. However, I thought all the physics courses (classical, special relativity, and quantum), calculus, ordinary differential equations, and linear circuit analysis were all highly intriguing and fun classes to take. Not really sure how useful they would be in the "real world." At least I think it's cool to know five or so different ways to destroy a planet. Too bad I don't have the money for it... Other classes I'm looking forward to are game theory and linear algebra. A lot of people seem to suggest taking economics, but I didn't find it very useful. It's all very obvious stuff. I'm still surprised people managed to not get an A. I'm not quite sure what's so hard about reading a balance sheet. So I guess if you're gonna take an economics class, don't go for the introductory ones? I took a couple of history courses as well, and I thought they were good. However, I don't really remember anything. It seems when it comes to history, the information seems to leave me the moment I step out of the final.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Berticus
A lot of people seem to suggest taking economics, but I didn't find it very useful. It's all very obvious stuff. I'm still surprised people managed to not get an A. I'm not quite sure what's so hard about reading a balance sheet. So I guess if you're gonna take an economics class, don't go for the introductory ones?
College level econ (the 100-level stuff at least) is terrible. You're better off learning it on your own IMO.

gsgc

Reaction score
Why does everybody hate on calculus? It is not very hard, and incredibly useful. I don't think people should be allowed to graduate without two full courses of it.

I'm a math major and I like calculus. It's just that there's so much more to math than limits and integrals, so if someone's just going to take one or two courses and if it isn't relevant to their major then I think that they should aim for breadth.

There's also the fact that most first year calculus courses are not very rigorous. Lower level discrete math classes are more likely to have a heavier emphasis on writing proofs which is one of the more important things a humanities person can get out of a math course, in my opinion. Most calculus courses tend to have more to do computation and symbolic manipulation (which humanities types tend to be bad at) and less to do with writing arguments (which humanities types tend to be better at.)

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
confused.gif
History and religious studies ARE humanities subjects.

okay, ooops. I guess I thought of humanities as like English,Literature,Arts, etc.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I won't be taking calculus. Guess I'm gonna fail at life.
Well, I don't think it is the biggest deal in the world, but it makes it difficult to really understand some important concepts that you come across in every day life.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't think it is the biggest deal in the world, but it makes it difficult to really understand some important concepts that you come across in every day life.
well it as leat as important as those introdcutions to philsophy and hisotry that people are reccomending. if i understand the concept fo tkaing different cources that are not importn t the chosen course of study the idea is to be have well rounded education( ie filin for lack of intersrest or a horrible secondary school). so learning caluclus physic, biology chemistry are just as important the writing, history economic, and philsophy courses that one should take.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
well it as leat as important as those introdcutions to philsophy and hisotry that people are reccomending. if i understand the concept fo tkaing different cources that are not importn t the chosen course of study the idea is to be have well rounded education( ie filin for lack of intersrest or a horrible secondary school). so learning caluclus physic, biology chemistry are just as important the writing, history economic, and philsophy courses that one should take.

Are you drunk?

wheelsx45

Reaction score
Small Group Communication is a fun class to meet people and also improve your skills working with a group. If you haven't already acquired this skill from the workplace, this is a place to start.

Accounting is something I think everyone should take, it will help you understand your fiances better and also be helpful if you decide to start a small business.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Symbolic logic turned out to be way more practical that I had thought. Although I don't convert sentences into logical symbols, I do use the structure of logic when I hear or speak. It is difficult to explain.

Second, I suggest that if you find a professor whom you LOVE because he/she inspires you, you should take all of that professor's classes that you can.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads