1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are some classes everyone should take in college?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Aperipan, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Aperipan

Aperipan Senior member

What random courses you took which have proved to be useful later on?

2. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

As much as I hated taking them, I would suggest registering for a few English classes before graduating.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

What random courses you took which have proved to be useful later on?

Impact of feminist thought in the 20th century.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I recommend you take some political science classes. And argumentation.

5. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

This course can be summed up in one word: minimal.

6. Aperipan

Aperipan Senior member

Care to explain how this has proved "useful"? Thanks.

7. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I wish I had taken more Philosophy. I have found that all the hardest classes with the most involved Profs were the most useful in life -- because they expanded and made more elastic my ways of thinking. Aesthetics was incredible. The sciences -- physics and chemistry -- are peerless in helping you to understand the physical whys. Public speaking has been very useful. Calculus I is the most useful math class from an 'aha' this is why standpoint. A good Western Civ class can be incredibly elightening but they seem to becoming more rare. History is essential for you to understand where you've been. Remember, learning is as much about process as product. The courses in which you have to fight your own mind and push yourself out of your comfort zone will always be the best. This, typically, will be a function of the Prof -- and frankly, you;ll never have the best of experiences with cakewalk Profs, nor with hardened curmudgeons, either. Find the ones with spark -- their rate-a-prof pages will usually have only strongly negative and strongly positive comments. ~ H

8. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

As much as I hated taking them, I would suggest registering for a few English classes before graduating.
    Missed this. I was a great writer going into college, and balked at the Eng Comp I class -- what an arrogant little idiot I was then. I learned so much. You rule, Mrs. McP! ~ H

9. Threak

Threak Senior member

I took an English class that focused on critical thinking, which was very good. It taught about persuasive writing, logical fallacies, that kind of thing. But the biggest lesson learned in that class was how many people, after a semester-long class, still didn't get it [​IMG].

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

This course can be summed up in one word: minimal.

You could not be more wrong.

11. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

12. flashback

flashback Senior member

economics
    logic
    poli sci

13. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

economics
    logic
    poli sci

+ 1. I would add basic math and physics classes to that too.

14. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I agree with one of the above, something along the lines of philosophy, or law/contracts, or english writing, etc. the subject matter is actually less important then the process you'll be learning. Basically, how arguments are constructed and how to reason and think critically. Very practical.

I personally found a course on human sexuality also very fascinating.

if it's available - I took a course along the lines of career management, covering everything from resumes and interviews, to (and most importantly) how to manage your career, deal with bosses, coworkers, etc.

Most of university is 80-20. You'll forget a lot of the knowledge but remember the process. A few things'll stick out and you'll use them again and again but most stuff you'll jsut forget.

15. Threak

Threak Senior member

I personally found a course on human sexuality also very fascinating.
    I took a class like that offered by the psychology department and enjoyed it. A female friend of mine sat in the class once, though, and hated it. She observed the class in the middle of the semester, though, so I think she was shocked by how explicit the lectures and discussions were, whereas the rest us of were comfortable with them by then. Or maybe she was just a prude. Then again, the professor, a Japanese lady in her 30-40's, frequently made jerking-off gestures (sometimes with sound effects).

16. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

+ 1. I would add basic math and physics classes to that too.
    If you're not on a science related field, what possible use could you have for physics in everyday life??? If you plan to own your own small business, the most basic accounting course could prove useful.Doing some of the super-easy book-keeping yourself can save you big bucks on your bill from your accountant at the end of the year. That, and perhaps the most basic finance class since this teaches you how interest works. Everyone pays it, but astounding numbers of people don't fully comprehend how long they'll be paying it or how much they'll be paying.

17. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

If you're not on a science related field, what possible use could you have for physics in everyday life???
    I am not in a science related field, but I'm very glad I took physics. I don't use the formulas or the math in my life, but I do make use of the concepts I learned in the class. IMO, physics is the study of the functions of nature and how they work, so I have definitely made use of the knowledge of mass, charge, matter, laws of motion, etc.

18. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Another i'll add to the list, is something to do with child development/education. I always thought people should have to get a liscense to have kids (sadly the goverment doesn't agree) - but taking a course or two from the psych department related to development or educational psych taught me a lot about children and I hope will ultimately make me a better parent. It at least helped me keep the kids in line at summer camp.

19. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

And argumentation.

Definitely

I had the most fun in that class and feel I got the most out of it.

20. doublebucklemonk

doublebucklemonk Well-Known Member

Check out the offerings in the Speech department, and take something that would involve public speaking. Regardless of what you do in life you will almost certainly have to speak to a group of people sometime.