• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are opinions/experiences with "The Smooth Company"

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with the brand "The Smooth Company" ( www.www.thesmoothcompany.com ). In particular, I was wondering if you guys know anything about the sizing of the double breasted cardigan and the henley hoodie.

I like the double breasted cardigan because it seems to button higher than most (er, I also sort of like the Morphine Generation's "George Best" cardigan, but can't bring myself to buy anything from that company. I like the henley hoodie because although I've been really interested in this concept (like NSF's bongo hoodie), I
want something a little heavier and more durable than jersey, and French terry would do it. Plus, the brand seems to be priced reasonably enough to just take a chance on.

Still, would like to at least get sizing right. Is a medium closer to a 48Eu or a 50Eu, for example? Sigh. The disadvantages of living in Idaho now. So looking forward to shopping in Seattle, LA, and San Francisco when I go in about a month's time for work.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by twin8885
Can't comment on the Smooth Company, seem to new of a company to hit retailers yet (except Revolve clothing).

But, I can vouch for this amazing Flippa K cardigan I saw at Context.

http://contextclothing.com/brands/fi...igan_black.php

Very well constructed and thick, but steeper on the price point.

I really like that, but I would like brown or grey rather than black, and I want something a little higher buttoning. The one linked is really nice though.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the Filipa K looks pretty sick

TheDroog

Reaction score
I heard about this company for the first time last week when I was in Seattle. There was a hip boutique in the Capitol Hill district that had a couple of their peacoats. Very nice, but pretty expensive. Their fit was on the slim/snug side, so I would expect that sizing would apply to their cardigans and hoodies as well. I'm a true medium but often buy sweaters in small since US sizes run big. I would guess a Smooth Company medium would fit just fine.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog
I heard about this company for the first time last week when I was in Seattle. There was a hip boutique in the Capitol Hill district that had a couple of their peacoats. Very nice, but pretty expensive. Their fit was on the slim/snug side, so I would expect that sizing would apply to their cardigans and hoodies as well. I'm a true medium but often buy sweaters in small since US sizes run big. I would guess a Smooth Company medium would fit just fine.

Hmmm... I am between a small and a medium. Would you mind giving me your weight/height/chest, just as a reference? Thanks.

Fok.

TheDroog

Reaction score
I'm about 175 pounds, 6 ft, with chest 39 or 40.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone on here have clothing from this company? How is the quality of the clothing? (besides the peacoat)

Jazzman19

Reaction score
I have a shirt I bought on Gilt. I really like the style and the sun-washed effect of the color. The quality is decent. It isn't anything to rave about. I have a couple cheaper Mavi shirts that I grabbed for 20 bucks each that are of better construction- Maybe that is just the exception?

A good comparison is my J.Crew button ups. They are the same quality wise as those.

I really love the catalog from the company last spring and fall on to this year. Before 2009 the clothes wre much different, see the above pics, then they are now.

I'd buy more of it - though unless it was a heavier item (sweater or coat) I'd be reluctant to spend full value for each item.

The zip up terry hoddie they have is fresh as hell, but a little to fem in color for my liking.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Yea I saw the catalog and some of the items looked pretty sweet. How are the fit on the shirts? True to size?

Jazzman19

Reaction score
I think shirts are true to fit.
I am 6-2 170 lbs. I have wing span of about 6-4 so I look for shirts to be a bit longer in the arm. These fit the bill- I can't comment on if that is intentional. I am also a thinner guy. The shirts fit nice around the upper body without being too snug like my shirts tend to be from "Just a Cheap Shirt." I take a Medium in both brands.

I guess to make it more succinct you get a decently tailored look without looking overly metro. Maybe that is or is not your thing. I also like how they are just long enough to wear tucked in without coming out your pants all the time...or untucked without it looking wrong.

You seeing these anywhere in particular? I have a hard time finding the stuff online.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jazzman19
I think shirts are true to fit.
I am 6-2 170 lbs. I have wing span of about 6-4 so I look for shirts to be a bit longer in the arm. These fit the bill- I can't comment on if that is intentional. I am also a thinner guy. The shirts fit nice around the upper body without being too snug like my shirts tend to be from "Just a Cheap Shirt." I take a Medium in both brands.

I guess to make it more succinct you get a decently tailored look without looking overly metro. Maybe that is or is not your thing. I also like how they are just long enough to wear tucked in without coming out your pants all the time...or untucked without it looking wrong.

You seeing these anywhere in particular? I have a hard time finding the stuff online.

Thanks. The online store for the company is marked as coming soon. Surprisingly urban outfitters carry a couple of their shirts but only Large+ sizes are available. I asked because I found one of their short sleeved shirts at a TJ Maxx.

Their website has a list of stockists but only a few of the sites have some stuff on there with Matthew Izzo being one of them.

http://www.thesmoothcompany.com/stockists.php

aarone

Reaction score
what happen with The Smooth Company online store?

PD: I`m from Chile

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics