• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are close-soled shoes?

godofcoffee

Reaction score
I was just reading "A Man in Full" and stumbled across a line about close-soled shoes, which is a typically esoteric Tom Wolfe touch. Here's the passage:

"... just didn't understand about shoes. They didn't wear close-soled shoes. They wore them with soles that stuck out like sidewalks."

Can anybody shed light on this?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by godofcoffee
They wore them with soles that stuck out like sidewalks."

Something like that for example:

51_stefano_branchini_5.jpg

51_stefano_branchini_4.jpg

Those are Stefano Branchini of maybe ten years ago.

Depending on the construction, you can cut the soles extremely narrow (cemented or Blake-stitched)
to very wide (like in his example of a 'Norvegese' car crash).

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Something like that for example:

51_stefano_branchini_5.jpg

51_stefano_branchini_4.jpg

Those are Stefano Branchini of maybe ten years ago.

Depending on the construction, you can cut the soles extremely narrow (cemented or Blake-stitched)
to very wide (like in his example of a 'Norvegese' car crash).

Wow those are awful.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But, look at all that handwork!

notalwaysrig

Reaction score
1. tom wolfe is awesome. I recently started "look homeward angel". (faulkner knew that wolfe was a genius of the souther gothic style.)

2. i have some shoes, bostonian/clarks...leather dress shoes...they have a sole that extends beyond the shoe...a very slight...but still noticable amount. I like them alot...also..the stitching is not hideous like the "example picture".

i guess my point, is that...there is a way for this to be done right.. but it's hard.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by notalwaysrig
1. tom wolfe is awesome. I recently started "look homeward angel". (faulkner knew that wolfe was a genius of the souther gothic style.)

2. i have some shoes, bostonian/clarks...leather dress shoes...they have a sole that extends beyond the shoe...a very slight...but still noticable amount. I like them alot...also..the stitching is not hideous like the "example picture".

i guess my point, is that...there is a way for this to be done right.. but it's hard.

Not to jump on you, but many here would saythat bostonian/clarks probably don't know the "right" way to do this.

Brogued

Reaction score

I think the OP means the other Tom Wolfe. The white suit wearing dandy.

goshibrine253

Reaction score
In Tom Wolfe's The Bonfire of the Vanities, one character - a Brit - has a condescending line about the shoes Americans wear, particularly American men. I forget the exact line, but the man says something about how American men know how to ruin a good dress shoe by making it clunky and heavy, like some kind of boot. Wolfe knows about shoes. I'm sure his are all handmade on Saville Row, or on some centuries-old foot last somewhere in Northern Italy.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2. i have some shoes, bostonian/clarks...leather dress shoes...they have a sole that extends beyond the shoe...a very slight...but still noticable amount..

It's not a problem if it's only slightly. Most goodyear welted shoes have soles which extend slightly further out than the uppers, as it's not possible to trim them any closer without using a different construction method (e.g. Blake).

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by godofcoffee
I was just reading "A Man in Full" and stumbled across a line about close-soled shoes, which is a typically esoteric Tom Wolfe touch. Here's the passage:

"... just didn't understand about shoes. They didn't wear close-soled shoes. They wore them with soles that stuck out like sidewalks."

I have a pair of Sutor Mantellassi that have soles that stick out quite a bit, not as much as those in the photo somebody posted above, but yes, quite a bit, and with a lot of stitching. But it looks quite nice, actually, very different from the above photo.
However, my question is: WHO didn't understand about shoes? I must say that I really enjoyed reading A Man in Full, the first chapter is just incredible, but I cannot recall the comments on the shoes. I remember a guy wearing braces with skulls and bones.
Wolfe is great on describing how people enjoy showing off, be it with expensive suits and a Mercedes sports cars like in the Bonfire of the Vanities, be it by burning big logs in the country house, or be it by wearing Diesel denim (in the last one, about the University).

notalwaysrig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brogued
I think the OP means the other Tom Wolfe. The white suit wearing dandy.

Your correction is appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads