• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What and Where is Painting - Egyptian Couple Who Lost First-Born to Plague....

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Help! My wife and I saw somewhere in recent years a painting of an Egyptian couple mourning the death of their first-born son - based on the Bible and the tenth of the Ten Plagues. They are shown, my wife recalls, with a sarcaphogus or coffin of some sort, and my wife says the wife/mother looks sort of like an image of Pocahontas. She thinks it's 19th century, but this is all uncertain. The couple, from what I recall, sort of dutifully carry out their responsibilities toward their dead child.

The painting is memorable as it's an unusual perspective - sort of sympathetic toward a couple who are not looked at kindly in the Bible; in a sense it makes the viewer sysmpathize with the couple and what they lost. May even be the Pharoah and wife. It's almost cute, I recall - perhaps a little primitive yet beautifully executed.

Does this ring a bell to anybody? Museums we've visited in recent years include those in Atlanta, San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Oberlin, London, Roanoke, Paris, Toledo, Seattle.
eh.gif

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but I've seen many reproductions of the Pearce and the Alma 'Death of the Firstborn" paintings. What we saw did not look anything like this. As I wrote, it had two Egyptian parents standing, perhaps slightly on the primitive side. Slightly cute, perhaps, and definitely sympathetic.
Little emotion shown. Do you know where the painting you posted is, by the way? I found it difficult to find a location.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay - I see it's in the Smithsonian.
Not the right one.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And this is the other one I am not looking for - the Alma-Tadema I referred to. Again, we saw a painting with the parents standing as two, kinda childlike figures going about the unpleasant business of hardling the remains of their son. That's about all I remember.

Thanks, anyway. Now that two responders contributed the two relatively famous ones, other ideas please?

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
You and your wife combined the two in your heads.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
Pearce
PEC001_L.jpg

Originally Posted by LaGourgandine
Not sure this totally fits your description:
1872_Lawrence_Alma-Tadema_-_Death_of_the_Pharaoh_Firstborn_son.jpg

Both of these are infinitely sorrowful, and I now know who Lafont is. I like the second one more as it reflects the public nature of loss a monarchy would face. Although, I think the first is much more emotional. Thnx

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Both of these are infinitely sorrowful, and I now know who Lafont is"....

I don't think you know who I am, kiddo...
Anyways, I don't quite understand the above two posts, but can someone please tell me what painting we actually saw? Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads