What about this diet

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by EKG, Apr 30, 2005.

1. EKG

EKG Member

I am 195, 5 10", I wear a 38 waist and I need to lose weight.

I am hoping to lose about 40-50 pounds of fat weight.

I am thinking of going on a 1300-1500 calorie a day diet of soy meat, a bran muffin and one apple. 5-10 glasses of water a day. Exercise would be jogging 30 minutes a day and 30 minutes of slow-lifting 5-10 pound weights, and pushups + crunches.

I am vegetarian, so getting protein without stacking up the carbs is very hard. Would anybody recommend a good protein shake/mix?

I am also thinking of taking Hot Rox. Any opinions on this product? Testicular shrinkage?

2. sam

sam Senior member

Count how many calories you eat now (like write it down, you'll definitely miss some stuff). Subtract 10-15%. That's your diet. 1300 calories is like being on the set of "Alive".

Lift heavy weights. 30 minutes of lifting 5-10 pounds is a waste of time.

Buy a pair of calipers and gauge your progress. Check the moving average of your weight and fat percentage. Modify diet/exercise as necessary to minimize muscle loss.

There was a thread on good bodybuilding sites a little while ago. Check it out.

3. EKG

EKG Member

Well I only had about 600 calories today, but I only jogged for about 10 minutes.

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

are you vegan? how about eggs and cottage cheese?

5. EKG

EKG Member

I can't have eggs but I hadn't thought of cottage cheese. I am not vegan.

I wouldn't eat raw eggs even if I could, considering there is more bacteria in an uncooked egg than a pound of goat crap.

Thanks for the tip on cottage cheese.

6. Oltmann

Oltmann Senior member

7. EKG

EKG Member

Is it possible to lose the spare tire/thighs and shoot for muscly glutes and that V shaped torso? If so I am all for it.

8. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

it doesn't have to be raw.cook it with some cheese or vegs

9. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

You're eating way too little calories - if your aim is long-term weight loss you should not aim to lose more than 2-3 pounds per week - I suggest you eat more like 1800-2000 calories/day with a large chunk of that in protein. Beware of soy protein - it is not that good for you, and has very strong estrogenic properties: http://www.t-nation.com/readTop....=461709 This is by far the best protein I've ever tried: http://www.t-nation.com/readTop....=459252 Panzer

10. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

That's very very unhealthy - with such a program you'll lose a lot of weight in the beginning (most of it water weight) but will gain all of it back (and then some) when you return to even a normal healthy diet as you would have artifically suppressed your metabolic rate.

Panzer

11. EKG

EKG Member

Holy Jesus are you serious? So can I just get most of my protein from that supplement you recommended? Because the soy synthmeat stuff was basically my only source.

Thanks for the advice, I will bump up my cals.

12. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

Sure - no problem. Be very careful - the entire bodybuilding community has shunned soy for years because of its very estrogenic propeties. The protein powder I recommended is not the cheapest on the market but is of very high quality, and most importantly, tastes very good (my experience has been that most people will never take protein supplementation consistently unless the taste is somewhat palatable).

Your best bet would be to go for 1,800-2,000 high quality calories with 150-200 grams (i.e. 600-800 calories) of protein intake. If you take 2 of those shakes I recommended that's 80 grams right there.

Also don't be afraid to go heavy on the weights - many people erroneously assume that they'll turn into Arnold overnight - that's a result of many years of training and extensive anabolic use and superior genetics. The more muscle you put on the more calories you'll burn during the day as your metabolic rate is drastically increased.

Panzer

13. VMan

VMan Senior member

What about beans and lentils? High in protein and fiber, and low in fat. Eat beans and rice together and you'll be doing great for your essential amino acids. One part beans/lentils and two parts grains and you should be doing great. Also, you do need carbs - and this will provide you with complex carbs.

14. EKG

EKG Member

Cool, but I take an amino acid supplement called Bragg's, and I don't really eat rice, but I love beans and lentils. It's good to know I can keep them in my diet with moderation. Thanks.

15. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Chick peas are an excellent source of protein as well - just add them to your salad and you add a good amount of protein to your daily diet.