• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What about small boats?

parham

Reaction score
I feel I may be alone on this, but is anyone here into small, trailerable boats? To be more specific, wooden boats! Sailboats, powerboats, rowboats, kayaks, canoes, or any other watercraft that can rot! I'm trying to motivate myself to start spring maintenance in time for when the weather breaks.

I grew up around Chesapeake Bay using all types of pleasure craft as a kid, then got away from the water until a few years ago. Rediscovering small boats helped me realize this might be the ticket to manageable boat ownership.

Everybody loves a Chris-Craft or Riva mahogany runabout, but that's serious cash, a lot of time varnishing, and a preponderance of douchy-old guys spraying down teak and polishing chrome. This thread is for those that appreciate the cheaper, smaller, more affordable classics, the stuff that was common post-war to the 70s, before fiberglass totally took over and made everything monochrome and stripey. The stuff you can build and/or repair in your basement, and gets looks because everyone's confused about wooden boats.

Small boats are great. Pros: you can hang small boats on walls or from the ceiling out of the way, they're much more affordable and easier to maintain than larger boats, and are easy to car-top or pop one (or three) on a trailer. Cons: your friends all need their own boats to join you on the water, your spouse might think you're crazy (maybe it's all the epoxy fumes?), and it's very easy to become a hoarder of small boats.

In honor of my first kid (due in about a month), I bought a new boat so we can all fit for a day on the water. It's a 1960 Thompson Sea Lancer 17' wooden laptrake "utility runabout" built in Cortland, NY. Only had it a few weeks, but I'm truly impressed by the build-quality on these floating mid-century pickup trucks. She doesn't leak, but needs new interior varnish. Chris-Craft built these kinds of boats too, but other popular brands of the period were Century, Lyman, Cruisers Inc, T&T, etc.

We have a few other small boats (the garage no longer houses cars, only boats, motorcycles, and tools):
*1968 Hampton One Design - 18' wooden racing sloop native to Chesapeake Bay
*1960 Alcort Sailfish - 13'7" fiberglass "board-boat" that preceded the iconic Sailfish
*1978 Alcort Minifish - 11'7" fiberglass dinghy, baby-sibling to the Sunfish
*1980s-era canvas-on-oak kayak - 14' Greenland-style homebuilt scored at a yard-sale
*Assorted watercraft - old surfboards (9' turd, 6' foot shorty), paddleboards (12'), and an 8' plastic kayak from TJ Maxx
*When we travel to the water, a few of the smaller craft can fit into the powerboat so that the whole family has options.
*Wishlist to round out the collection - a wooden stand-up paddleboard, an old canvas-on-wood canoe, a Beetle Cat, and maybe a larger catboat or daysailer like a Watch Hill 15 or Wianno Senior.

parham

Reaction score
Photos are in order. How about some classic American lapstrakes, descending in size from 23' to 15'.

Lyman

1959 Penn Yann Magellan

Chris-Craft Sea Skiff 18

1960 Thompson Sea Lancer 17

1957 Sorg 15 Runabout (made in Detroit).

Love the simple interiors with exposed steam-bent ribs and stringers. Even the little Sorg has great details - an Austin-Healey 100 for the water.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a small boat:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

2007 or so Vanguard 15

Last edited:

isha agrawal

Reaction score
A boat is a small vessel for travelling on water, especially one that carries only a few people.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Went to a boat festival a few weeks ago. Nearly walked away buying a Lyman...

IMG_2068.JPG

IMG_2065.JPG

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great pics! I have a canoe but it's made of recycled milk jugs or something.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The crazy part was the boat was available for $4500. I'm convinced something was wrong with it but never followed up with the owner - especially cause at that price I could have picked it up but have no where to store it.

parham

Reaction score
The crazy part was the boat was available for $4500. I'm convinced something was wrong with it but never followed up with the owner - especially cause at that price I could have picked it up but have no where to store it.

Awesome. I was there on Sunday, just as everyone was closing up shop, and didn't see that one. Sounds like a great price. Probably a little low because it has a modern motor on it, and some cosmetics? That seems to be the price range for those. It's what, about 16'?

parham

Reaction score
Great pics! I have a canoe but it's made of recycled milk jugs or something.

That's cool too. Reduce, reuse...all that. As long as it floats and is small. It's about the adventure, right?

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's cool too. Reduce, reuse...all that. As long as it floats and is small. It's about the adventure, right?

Yup. In my case it's about having a super-low-maintenance boat that is also close to indestructible. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads