• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What about silk scarves?

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see these in silk scarves in catalogs and really like the colors and prints. I don't see alot of them being worn. What are the opinions on silk scarves in general? How are they to be coordinated with the rest of the clothes?

Here's a couple of examples.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like silk scarves at all. They are just too feminine in my opinion.

The Devil's Hands

Reaction score
Silk scarf is for girl

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have three vintage scarves from the 40s, each in rayon--a poor cousin of silk that was considered more of a luxury item back in the day. I only don them with a topcoat or an overcoat and wear them tied ascot style.

The Devil's Hands

Reaction score
I was giving you a hard time.

devil.gif

The problem with those scarves is that they are very flashy, like if you took a pocket square, unfolded it, and pinned it to your jacket. If you have an over-the-top personality, you can pull it off (I'd follow the same rules as a pocket square), but if you are generally reserved, you'll come off as affected.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always wear a scarf with my better outerwear (especially leather) to protect the collar from dirt and oil stains caused from contact with my neck. Silk for cool weather, cashmere for cold weather.

......78.jpg

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love a nicely patterned silk scarf like nearly all the ones pictured in this thread.

I wear them with an overcoat/suit combo in winter. As for matching, I don't think you need to bother too much as long as one of the scarf colours are vaguely complementary to another colour you're wearing. They're a pleasant dash of colour in the winter outfit!

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage Gent, Tomasso, those all look great. I'm really tempted to try one of these. any particular make or
things to consider. I have seen double sided - good idea, or just silk?

Thanks for the input.
designprofessor

Morris

Reaction score
Cashmere ... only Scottish cashmere.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads