What a WW Chan looks like with no fittings

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by UKyank, Nov 28, 2012.

Tags:
  1. UKyank

UKyank Member

I was passing through Hong Kong the beginning of the month, did not forsee myself being back there anythime soon, had read numerous good reviews of WW Chan tailor, and though I knew my schedule was too brief to set up fittings I figured why not give them a try anyways. So in case anyone was wondering what result one could see from Chan with nothing more then an initial measurement this is an example.

Overall I am fairly pleased as I most definitely did not expect perfection (and part of me was ready to accept complete disappointment). Some things I definitely want to get altered but nothing that a tailor here can't easily remedy, but so as not to bias anyone with specifics, I'll throw it out here for your criticisms & thoughts.

Thanks!

By thw way as an aside, the turnaround time was quick, about 3 weeks. I was curious, does anyone know how they send out their products - I only ask, because the email that the suit was done was when I recieved a fedex shipping notification for 1 day shipping from San Francisco (i'm on the east coast), and wondered how it got to Cali.

I went with a VBC navy cloth (wasnt feeling very adventurous) and the price was $1390.

& I should note, this was put on right out of the shipping box so a bit more wrinkles then normally would be otherwise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. UKyank

UKyank Member

3. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

You either need a better camera, or get a better photographer :D

4. UKyank

UKyank Member

Actually I needed option C, better lighting most

5. bboysdontcryy

6. UKyank

UKyank Member

Originally, been based in the US since 2007 though.

7. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

...nice...$1,400?...no way.

On another note, and of course IMO, those notches are huge.

8. bboysdontcryy

It's not bad for smth without any fittings. Have them clean up the coat when they're in the States -- pay attention to the left sleeve, back, and see if the length of the sleeves are correct.

Like VinnyMac said, preference for lapel widths are subjective. I think they're fine.

You had NO fittings in HK at all? That is, they only took measurements once?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  9. bboysdontcryy

Oh yes, the trousers are sub-standard. That is, if they're hitched up properly and still cling to your thighs like spandex.

10. UKyank

UKyank Member

Yea, just a drive by measuring (I was only in HK for a couple of days).
    While my rational side said $1400 was a lot to essentially quite possibly waste, I was on holiday & rationality can go by the wayside (plus I didn't foresee myself going back anytime soon & thought I'd see what it was all about). Call it an experiment.

11. bboysdontcryy

I know far better tailors that travel to the States (depends on where you're based), and I'd recommend them over Chan. PM me if you are really keen on something better. Having tried Chan, as well as a tailor whom I use who travels to the States, I believe I'm qualified to say that this tailor offers superior value/quality over Chan. I honestly wish I wasn't so adamant at trying to nail down my pattern with Chan so much so that I commissioned another coat with them recently.

We'll see if the fit improves.

12. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

I believe Chan sends it to an agent out in the states and they then send it to you.

13. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I think some men here may be unduly hard on your suit for the reason that you had not steamed out the wrinkles, and the crappy photography doesn't reveal too much. Judging from the cost, am I correct in assuming the material is VBC Revenge Super 140? If so, that's a very lightweight cloth and does get horribly rumpled from being shipped in a FedEx box, as I know from experience.

Chan does very good work, usually even on their first try. I think once the garment has been steamed out, you may find it a good deal more satisfactory.

14. UKyank

UKyank Member

I'll update the thread with some photos this weekend, that are 1. not in bad lighting or with a phone camera, & 2. not just out of the box.

Its VBC Revenge Super 130 actually.

I was just excited when I recieved it and suffered from some premature posting ;)

Look for an update

15. emc894

emc894 Senior member

That is pretty similar to fit I got from just one measurement in USA. Very wearable and decent, but for bespoke, you might as well pay for one more basted fitting to dial it in a bit more. They can send you back a based version and then tweak it a bit when they are on tour in the USA.

As for mine, my shoulders needed to be a bit more forward slope and my arm rotation needed some correcting I sent it back to Chan and they are fixing it now.