• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What 5 items must every stylish man have?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) moleskin jeans
2) white shirt by Lazo beneath a cardigan sweater or sportcoat that feels like a cardigan sweater
3) brown suede dress boots
4) used copy of ____
5) cup of coffee

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, no one appreciated my philosophizing, so here is my list of clothing and accessories, in no particular order. I think that these items show more about a man's style, and thus whether or not he is stylish, than any other:

1. A great jacket - the mainstay of all men's wardrobe - and it says more about you than any other part of your wardrobe.
2. A favorite pair of jeans - well cut, and made out of good denim. Whether you are a clean, slim dark jeans guy, or prefer them well worn in and patched as needed, speaks volumes about your personallity. Oh, and the wear should be honestly come by.
3. A great belt - are you sleek and modern with a matte calfskin and angular hardware? a rock and roller with a studded belt? An old guard traditionalist with a deep burgundy croc belt?
4. Good leather shoes or boots - how you take care of them show how you like to take life? Are you meticulous and careful? Or are you stomping through puddles with complete disregard that your shoes cost you a rent check and some bits?
5. A well fitting suit - are you an iconoclast in Comme de Garcons? Are you an Anglophile, and Italophile, or an old preppy? Are you body conscious? Are you trying to compensate forr deficiencies or do you think that all eyes belong on you?

TheGame

Reaction score
Ahh but the scent of perfume on myself does far more to attract women than a fine cologne ever could, so with that in mind I'd opt for the perfume if I were forced to choose
smile.gif
If I were really forced to choose I'd go with my slowly-but-surely growing collection of exotic cowboy boots. Â The reaction I get whilst wearing those with suits is so positive that I should like to burn every last pair of shoes I own and forever wear boots and only boots. Â My shoes haven't been touched in months and are now barely recognizable under the dust they've accumulated.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LA Guy,

I liked your philosophy back there. However, your new list is great too - I like how it is somewhat vague as far as labels, but specific in regards to fit and character. Seems like everything on that list should be an 'old favorite'.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ahh but the scent of perfume on myself does far more to attract women than a fine cologne ever could, so with that in mind I'd opt for the perfume if I were forced to choose
Are you suggesting that we should wear a tiny bit of perfume, so that we smell like the ladies have been all over us?? Â
biggrin.gif
Rather Machiavellian, but I suppose it might work on some girls...

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only two:

1. white handkerchief in back trouser pocket
2. cigarette lighter

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For work :
1) nice watch
2) good black oxford shoes
3) well fitted convas suit
4) nice white or blue shirt
5) nice cachemire overcoat

For WE :
1) nice watch
2) cachemire jumper
3) jeans
4) leather jacket of good quality
5) slim sneakers

truthhurts

Reaction score
1) Good barber. 2) Good shoes. 3) Miscellaneous (but often asked for
smile.gif
accessories i.e. gum/lighter/handkerchief/swiss army knife. 4) Vast knowlege of where to go and how to do as much as possible. 5) A great breakfast that he can make without a thought while reading/chatting. Sticking strictly to clothes: 1) good dress shoes. 2) good watch. 3) body conscious dark suit. 4) jeans that show off your well shaped backside. 5) good quality sexy underwear and some very comfy socks.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HH007.jpg
Those... Â H. Huntsman ...suits don't come cheap.
Teeheeheee. OK, so it's not bespoke, but it cost me 20 bucks and was absolutely new, courtesy an eBay auction that didn't even list Huntsman as the maker. But I recognized the label...
smile.gif
Regards, Huntsman

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

truthhurts

Reaction score
A good haircut and the right shoes will make up for almost anything.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's sum up

wja

Reaction score
The manager of Church's in Burlington Arcade told me that one can get a good first take on a gentleman by looking at his shoes, his watch, and his nails.  That leaves room for two other essential items...that's tough.  Certainly an outdoorsman would have a pair of MTM boots.  One thing left..I need more time to think.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The manager of Church's in Burlington Arcade told me that one can get a good first take on a gentleman by looking at his shoes, his watch, and his nails.  That leaves room for two other essential items...that's tough.  Certainly an outdoorsman would have a pair of MTM boots.  One thing left..I need more time to think.
Good point, on the first three from Burlington Arcade. But as for the watch, should a gentleman really be concerned with time?

So to sum up, as Ernest calls for:

1) haircut (I'll include other grooming here)
2) shoes
3) handkerchief
4) lighter
5) an outstanding bill from his tailor

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(wja @ 09 Nov. 2004, 2:51) The manager of Church's in Burlington Arcade told me that one can get a good first take on a gentleman by looking at his shoes, his watch, and his nails. Â That leaves room for two other essential items...that's tough. Â Certainly an outdoorsman would have a pair of MTM boots. Â One thing left..I need more time to think.
Good point, on the first three from Burlington Arcade. Â But as for the watch, should a gentleman really be concerned with time? So to sum up, as Ernest calls for: 1) haircut (I'll include other grooming here) 2) shoes 3) handkerchief 4) lighter 5) an outstanding bill from his tailor
I do not agree with you as : - watch is not for time but for style - a gentleman does not smoke, a cowboy do. At least if he makes this mistake, he do not invest more money in that stupid activity with a lighter. - what will do a gentleman with an hankerchief? - hair cut is not a good, we are talking about goods I guess - bill? I think having a great suit is important but not the bill. If I had to sum up for the all forum I would say for the moment = 1) watch 2) shoes 3) suit After?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads