• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What 46 in. LCD should I get?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking at several Samsung LCD tv's. I am looking at the 46 inch ones, all are the 1080 resolution, but there are 3-4 to choose from, I am confused as to the differences and not comfortable not knowing, rather would like to be told!

Seeing I trust our community here, I thought I would ask in hopes that someone can weigh in.

Thanks in advance!

Yaz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Hello all,

I am looking at several Samsung LCD tv's. I am looking at the 46 inch ones, all are the 1080 resolution, but there are 3-4 to choose from, I am confused as to the differences and not comfortable not knowing, rather would like to be told!

Seeing I trust our community here, I thought I would ask in hopes that someone can weigh in.

Thanks in advance!

I can't help you directly, but have you ever been to avsforum.com? There's a section just for LCD displays that may also provide you with some useful info.

JaCet

Reaction score
samsung and sony make the best lcds

somone on avsforum will tell u since i dont remember the model numbers exactly

cam_pearson

Reaction score
I have a 50 inch Q91 for the media room (as-well as a projector)
and a Sony Bravia X-series 46 inch for lounge, best motion flow on both, full HD resolution to 1080p on Bravia.. go for the X, otherwise wait for the F8 which shoudl be released with a 46 inch..

and Samsung make sony.

brimley

Reaction score
Is one of the TVs in that range a 120 Hz model? If so, that's the best one. There's a definite price premium, but the faster refresh rate produces amazing images and goes a long way to fixing the greatest flaw of LCD technology. Those 120 Hz LCDs are almost enough for me to give up front projection.

Bogie

Reaction score
I'll echo the quality of the samsung and Sony Bravia. I'm personally saving for a 46" bravia.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same dilemma as you. For me, it comes down to two choices both in the 2K range on Amazon.

Samsung LN-T4671 or the Samsung LN-T4669.

The 71 is sweet as sin. I am waiting for a Superbowl sale and then I will bite.

injung

Reaction score
I have a friend who sells TVs and he told me the samsungs and sonys come from the same plant, so you probably won't go wrong with either one.

I'm also shopping for a TV and he recommended (in this order) Sony, Samsung, Toshiba. Sharps are supposed to be pretty good but he said it was hit and miss with them.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
The key thing is to look for a 120hz scan rate. That eliminates pretty much any motion artifacts. I have this on my Sony RPTV.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sony and Samsung use panels made in the same plant, so the picture quality should be comparable, which is to say very good. Many of the newer Samsungs have a glossy screen and bezel that may be annoying if your TV room has ambient light.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by injung
I have a friend who sells TVs and he told me the samsungs and sonys come from the same plant, so you probably won't go wrong with either one.

They have a joint LCD venture together, but other factors, such as the tuner and non-display chipsets will be different from brand to brand, and that can change your total TV ownership experience. That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

I personally recommend Sony.

Jon.

AC: you beat me by 1 minute.

base1001

Reaction score
yep, its either going to be a samsung or a sony. sony uses a 10 bit panel and does 10 bit processing, smoother and a noticeable better picture, worth the xtra $600 - $1200? hmmm. sony makes a "w" model that uses "ex" bravia processing; it is the model just under the xbr4(xbr5 is the same as xbr4, only more expensive bezel), no 120hz. samsung is either 8 bit panel, 10 bit processing or other way around. just because samsung and sony lcds come from the same plant doesn't mean they are near the same. i have heard rumors that samsung processor is out of date, the same processor that is used in the 65 series is used in the 69/71(120hz) series. sony is the best, maybe by a hair, still the best. samsungs new 81 series lcd LED is on par with sony's xbr4, however its even more expensive than the xbr4 series which are ridiculously priced as it is. samsungs are affordable.

www.cnet.com

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the deal with 120hz? I know I want the Samsung 71, Amazon out of stock as of now.

Vman, how did the 69 compare with the 71?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went with the LNT4661, got it for $1200.00 locally around Thanksgiving. Found some crazy online price, and went to a local store and they price matched it, plus payed the tax. Took it home the first evening.
My father inlaw got the Sony Bravia, so I can give you an idea of the differences.

First, I will say I like the styling of the Samsung much better, kind of understated and very simple. There is something about the glass surround on the Bravia I do not like.

The matte screen on the Samsung really kicks ass, we have it in a room that faces south west, so I can actually watch the tv in full sunlight with little difficulty. Not something that can be done with a tv with a shiny screen. This is why I didnt go with the other LNT 46 inch, that does have the 120 hz, because it doesnt have a matte screen.

The picture quality on the Samsung in full 1080 is superiour to the Sony.
I do like that the Sony tells you if you are watching HD or not.

I found the set up of the Samsung easy and fast.

So, for the price I payed I am thrilled with what I got.

Originally Posted by VMan
I picked up a 46" Samsung LN-T4669 before Christmas and have been very happy with it so far, nice sharp picture.

Did you settle on a model yet?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads