• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What’s up with all these “TORTURE” films?

JeffsWood

Reaction score
I admit I am the furthest thing from cool: wife, kids, dog, Japanese sedan, and a 4 bedroom house in the burbs - that s me. So I am not Mr. Pop culture, but I don't get why these sick torture films are making so much money? What is the attraction?

I have only seen part of one these films - kind of a funny story really. I walk into the video store ?2? Years ago and I see the #1 rental is a film called "Hostel". The kid at the counter tells me "great film" and since my wife and I backpacked around Europe in the early 90"s the title seems harmless to me. (I know I should read the back etc, but when you got two kids under 5 in toe you rush through picking your movie so you can help them get the latest "Dora film").

Of course the film starts out nice enough, then turns into a torture flick. Though we turned it off half way through, the film left a mental image with me, that I will not forget and I can't imagine why people would enjoy watching something like this.

So what the deal? Why do these films do so well? I have nothing against a scary movie, but this stuff isn't scary it is sadistic.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I dunno, but I think it gives all these pansy-ass "Emo" kids a seeming emotional outlet for all of their angst and irritation about the unbelievable difficulties of their cushy suburban lives.

I mean, when life is so difficult that your Mom will only pay for TWO Lattes per week at Starbucks instead of the seven you really wanted, you simply HAVE to have a violent outlet in which to place your frustrations. People being mutilated on film is just the thing...

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I think we also need the good professor's answer to this question?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spatlese
^ I think we also need the good professor's answer to this question?

He tends not to poke his head outside DT; so feel free to formulate a good, Fabulously worded question and post it you-know-where.
smile.gif

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
He tends not to poke his head outside DT; so feel free to formulate a good, Fabulously worded question and post it you-know-where.
smile.gif

LOL. Ok maybe later after I've had some vino.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The first Saw was clever and brought something new to the horror genre. Unfortunately, what followed was its less-than-stellar sequels and the introduction of these torture films (see Hostel) to a wider audience.

That being said, torture films gross me out to the utmost degree. Enough with this **** already.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Torture horror is the new Appreciation, morally deplorable yet socially acceptable. Even better, you get to sit in a theater with 100 other people and squirm in unison, and not have to deal with any of the shame or guilt usually associated with viewing pig sex.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
Torture horror is the new Appreciation, morally deplorable yet socially acceptable. Even better, you get to sit in a theater with 100 other people and squirm in unison, and not have to deal with any of the shame or guilt usually associated with viewing pig sex.

what guilt?

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This fascination is nothing new, people used to enjoy stonings and hangings, and that's real-life ****. There's still a hotel restaurant in a small town in New Mexico with a photograph on the wall of a late-19th century hanging in the town where the guy's head popped off and landed on the platform.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dick Cheney is bankrolling the new Hollywood while laundering his Halliburton $$$

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't stand these movies. The whole "Saw" thing just grosses me out and I find it's just insulting to someones intelligence to push this gross mindless **** on people. In my opinion the only reason why people spend millions to go see this **** is because it is outrageous.

Diem

Reaction score
In most of these movies the violence is used as a tool to connect with the viewers.

Do you think that Salò o le 120 giornate di Sodoma would be an interesting watch without all the violence?

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also not a fan of "torture Appreciation."

And yet, this is considered much more acceptible/normal than nudity. What does that say about our society when a graphic depection of mutilation is considered less offensive than an exposed nipple?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sort of goes along with the UFC/MMA culture in my opinion.. Sad reflection of the times..

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the growing prevalence of these films is driven partly by the disconnection from basic physical reality felt by today's youth (and Generation X). Insulated from want and from effortful existence, coddled by electronics, they paradoxically seek reality in virtuality; and death, the final fact from which not even suburbia escapes, becomes the ultimate touchstone of reality.

The blood and viscera serve as an explicit reminder to the audience of the frail physical bodies from which they feel increasingly divorced.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads