What’s a $4,000 Suit Worth?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TRINI, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Maximus Mark

Maximus Mark Senior member

Great article. Once you go bespoke, you can't go back.

I prefer to support a local bespoke tailor as well (Trend custom), though my suits are more in the $2K range as he has a staff of junior tailors and seamstresses for production.
    Psychologically at the $4K+ mark you'd expect superlative amounts of handiwork and construction. This is where I have a hard time justifying the cost, since this is rarely the case.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012

2. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Heh. I like the play-by-play. Nice.

3. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Have a go at selling some 4k suits on your own, without a brand behind you or a store, see how long it takes you in man hours just to sell one.

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I'm just talking about the impression the article gives. I have no idea. But I could see how once you've got a built in customer base that you've worked hard to acquire, selling the suits could have reasonable marginal cost, whereas there aren't such cost savings in the making of the suit.

5. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Senior member

His company is called Arcangelo Sartorial.

There is no website. He has a profile on LinkedIn (http://www.linkedin.com/pub/peter-frew/48/115/182) and is associated with some Custom Tailoring trade groups, but otherwise the man is out of sight, out of mind.

Yet he is as busy as he can be.

People who are in the market for bespoke suits and the like know where to find them. Goods such as these are bought, not sold.

That makes all the difference in the world.

6. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Im not sure if this is relevant but i thnk this is done to some extent with some SR firms in that two cutters from two different firms might be using the same tailor to put their respective suits together. I mean i can sort of see this working if lets say you have a factory that produces on the level of Brioni/Oxxford and you have cutters cutting patterns and just sending over the pieces to have them assembled at the factory. But then again to train that about of workers to that level is going to be pretty hard. If I'm not mistaken Brioni has their own school for that where students learn for 4 years before putting needle to cloth

7. chogall

chogall Senior member

I thought SR and North Hampton are both big circle jerk group with different firms use the same outworkers for some of the more standardized work...

8. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

For the suit guys, yes, but not so sure about the shoe guys.

SR may only survive with freelance workers, had they need to pay insurance and pension, they might as well learn Chinese and work in Mainland, at least there are many people who will buy their heritage.

One way to help, craftsmen should try to do something that attracts more 'young' customer, from private school kids to young professional, I knew a lot of them spend as money as SFer buying junk from D&G and Armani.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

9. Elegantly Wasted

Elegantly Wasted Senior member

Would those craftsmen provide a look/style similar to D&G and Armani? I bet such youngsters don't even want to hear the terms "conservative british" or "old neapolitan".

10. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Yes, it can be. Tailor can easily follow the GQ trend, with bespoke qualities.

In fact, the fit that most SFers love are very modern, not even slightly traditional.

11. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

:)

I was writing couple of small role plays for students to act out this morning

Tailor A, That will be $4000 please.
    Customer, HOW MUCH!!!?..bye bye.
    Tailor A, But..but..but..hold on sir!.....
    (Tailor A then tries to convince the thrifty customer why he should spend $4k on a suit and not $2k).

12. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Thats essentially what i said but you put it more errrr "eloquently" lol

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

to answer the OPs question technically, btw, on B&S, about $269, with free shipping of course.

14. A Y

A Y Senior member

Yeah, the SR system of using outworkers (and the Italians do this as well) is still within the bespoke tradition of having lots of handwork. I was thinking more of a factory like Suit Supply or Indochino where machines do most of the work. I wonder how much latitude there is in their machines to accomodate a custom pattern.

NPR today had an infographic as a follow-up to the article:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012...een-a-99-suit-and-a-5-000-suit-in-one-graphic

It's not entirely accurate, because the lines between high-end MTM, RTW, and custom is pretty blurry with respect to construction techniques and material.

15. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Ahh i see. Well theoretically if there are still people manning the machines I'm sure there could be some latitude. If I'm understanding your concept right what you would be essentially be looking at is having a cutter take measurements then sending it to a place like in this video. (the first 3 mins of the video shows mass cutting of fabrics so thats what you are replacing)

i don't really see why you couldn't do it, maybe they could suit supply or indochino could section of a part of their factory specifically for this type of work? Just like how zegna sections off parts of theirs for Tom Ford, Gucci, Dunhill etc?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012