• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wet wether friendly shoes to wear with a suit

pred02

Reaction score
Hi,

Ok so I've read the rules on wearing oxfords, leather sole-only shoes with a suit, but the practicality of such a combo during wet weather isn't the best. I live in London - which means every other day we get hit with a light drizzle and I find myself sitting all day with wet socks in the office not so much fun. Do people just get Oxfords with rubber soles? What do people do on a more practical side?

Thanks,

Last edited:

Lucan

Reaction score
Leather is generally waterproof, that's why all the cows you see when you leave London haven't dissolved!

Sounds like you just need new shoes or soles if you have wet socks when it's just light drizzle. Or just keep your shoes in the office and wear something else to walk in.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A topy/sole guard might help, though it won't keep water out if you are stepping in puddles.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather is generally waterproof, that's why all the cows you see when you leave London haven't dissolved!

Sounds like you just need new shoes or soles if you have wet socks when it's just light drizzle. Or just keep your shoes in the office and wear something else to walk in.
Leather is generally not waterproof. If it were, there wouldn't be a need for all of those leather waterproofing sprays. There is a difference between the skin on a living animal and the hide.

saiyar1

Reaction score
All those "rules" are not rules. They are just what you wear if you happen to appreciate very high quality, sophisticated clothing. That doesn't mean it's appropriate for everyone/all situations. If you appreciate that level of craftsmanship, wear them on dry sunny days or to special events. Otherwise have an another nice pair with rubber soles. Plenty of nice, non clunky, aesthetically designed dress shoes with rubber. And by nice I mean what YOU find nice, not what the random guy on a forum who spends $1000 on shoes thinks is nice.

If your socks are damp when you come in, then you are damaging your shoes, by the way.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi,
Ok so I've read the rules on wearing oxfords, leather sole-only shoes with a suit, but the practicality of such a combo during wet weather isn't the best. I live in London - which means every other day we get hit with a light drizzle and I find myself sitting all day with wet socks in the office not so much fun. Do people just get Oxfords with rubber soles? What do people do on a more practical side?
Thanks,

I can count the occasions I've had wet socks from leather soles soaking through on one hand. Unless you literally splash around in puddles like a 4 year old, or its monsooning, this is a non issue. I'm questioning what shoes you wear that cause you such issues.

Macallan

Reaction score
I live in London and wear oxfords to work, no issue with socks getting wet; however, it is heavy rain then I would wear something like Church's Grafton http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...andid=4&catid=6&oldcolid=45&stype=0&overlay=0

If your socks are getting soaked even with light rain, then you need to change your shoes - this could be the leather being crap and or the shoes being too big and rain falling through the gap between your socks and shoes.

The rain in London is not that bad, most of the time it is light rain.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A topy/sole guard might help, though it won't keep water out if you are stepping in puddles.
That's what I do. Unless some odd soul is making a concerted effort to stare at the soles of my shoes, they look no different than any other quality leather soled dress shoe. Because they are quality leather soled dress shoes - just with a thin protective layer that is both more water resistant (leather? water resistant? seriously?) and offers better grip in wet conditions.

If we're talking heavy, driving rain or slushy sidewalks, an overshoe (try Swims) or dedicated boot are in order.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Swims overshoes. Problem solved.

Not in London. Everybody in his workplace would be laughing at him.

I echo what has been said before, light rain should not be a problem with a sound shoe that has no leaks in it. London rain does not usually mean monsoon conditions, though it is not too great at the moment.

Last edited:

kaizo

Reaction score
From what I have read dainite soles seems to answer your prayers whilst maintaining the sleek looks of your shoes. I live in London too and I think having a rubber sole (not just topy) is a good idea.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From what I have read dainite soles seems to answer your prayers whilst maintaining the sleek looks of your shoes. I live in London too and I think having a rubber sole (not just topy) is a good idea.

Agreed......and Dainite (or an equivalent thereof) will wear like iron and outlast its leather counterpart.

Last edited:

Putonghua73

Reaction score

Did this recently with a pair of black single monks [Meermin]. To get to the bus-stop where I live, I take a short-cut across uneven ground (grass, stones and gnarled tree roots). Fortunately, my oxford leather soles are undamaged - except mild water marks - sadly, my single monks received a puncture in the sole.

Note: I now avoid such short-cuts.

Silver lining is that I replace the leather sole with dainite at James Taylor & Sons (just off Marylebone). Wish that when I bought my Loake 1880s, I could have found dainite soles because one requires a pair of dainite soles for work (Oxfords) and a pair for casual.

I can recall only one day recently where I have had the opportunity to wear leather soles. I think that when I eventually buy a burgundy or merlot pair of casual shoes (probably Carmina), they'll have to be dainite soles for rotation purposes.

Earlier in the year, it rained solidly for almost two months (throughout April and May). Enough now that if I were to start my nascent shoe career again, I would have (a) bought dainite sole oxfords and casual (black) from the get-go, and (b) not bought a second pair of black casual shoes.

Word of warning: dainite soles and wet weather, combined with smooth surfaces is a recipe for near disaster. Airports are one of the worst offenders, and particular department stores,

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Laughing at him for wearing overshoes? You take them off once you get inside, obviously. In any case, eff it. They laugh ar you once or twice, fine. Meanwhile your nice shoes will be well preserved.

+1.

I have a pair at the office and a pair at home...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads