• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Wet shaving for a manly man who hates man-made chemicals

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's hear some suggestions for shaving creams and aftershave balms or lotions which lack the following man-made shyte that my bloodstream can do without:

Methylparaben
Propylparaben
Butylparaben
Ethylparaben
Isobutylparaben
Phenoxyethanol
Benzyl Salicylate
Tetrasodium EDTA
Sodium Benzoate
Potassium Sorbate

And other such unmentionables.

P.S. Organic products have been tried multiple times without much success as they failed to work up adequate lather and/or smelled like a hospital.

Rikkar501

Reaction score
Mama Bears Soaps has a ton of completely natural, chemical free soaps. I have a tub, and it's great. Best of all, it's all really cheap compared to alot of soaps out there.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you catch they're using synthetic protein, menthol and so on ?
Why would you want that shyt absorbed into your skin ?

Rambo

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Rikkar501

Reaction score
"These soaps are completely natural with fragrance added and contain no detergents, surfactants or sulfates. They are completely natural (other then fragrance oils) with an addition 20% added glycerin."

That's what I read, and from my experience (having sensitive skin) the soap is extremely mild and refreshing. And what's wrong with natural menthol?

kaiimac

Reaction score
I really like "Shave the Planet" by LUSH. It doesn't lather, but it creates a thick, protective layer.

(I edited this because I just went to their website and realize they don't make it anymore...sorry!)

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ Rambo

I know of Perry. It was nice of him to fick his former employer in the ass with that new all-natural line of rival products

@Rikkar501

It says that protein and menthol ingredients could be either/or. Meaning, certain packages would have real stuff - others would have synthetic substitute. So good luck with that one.

imschatz

Reaction score
What man doesn't want a good dose of Benzyl Salicylate in the morning?

Rikkar501

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
@ Rambo

I know of Perry. It was nice of him to fick his former employer in the ass with that new all-natural line of rival products

@Rikkar501

It says that protein and menthol ingredients could be either/or. Meaning, certain packages would have real stuff - others would have synthetic substitute. So good luck with that one.

"Wheat protein and fragrance either natural or synthetic". The and separates wheat protein from fragrances- and natural or synthetic fragrances depending on if you are buying the soaps with essential oils or the soaps with the cologne fragrances. Come on man, did you read it in that much of a hurry?

Monaco

Reaction score
Use coconut oil, good for your skin and anti-bacterial/viral/inflammation.

It makes for a great moisturizer afterwards also.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You do realize the only difference between a "natural" and synthetic chemical is that ones creation was catalyzed by a protein and the other's creation was carried out in a beaker right? Some of the world's most dangerous and toxic chemicals are "natural" and some of the world's most helpful are synthetic. If only people took the time to look at the science behind their firmly held incorrect beliefs. Also, your entire body is made up of chemicals.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hmmm, a few options come to mind but you may find reasons to hate on them. I have not checked the ingredient list, though.

For soaps: Provence Sante makes a fantastic soap, lightly scented, easy on the skin. Also check: The Gentleman's Quarter (although those are strongly scented and some use FO's instead of EO's)

Aftershave: Thayer's Superhazel.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
You do realize the only difference between a "natural" and synthetic chemical is that ones creation was catalyzed by a protein and the other's creation was carried out in a beaker right? Some of the world's most dangerous and toxic chemicals are "natural" and some of the world's most helpful are synthetic. If only people took the time to look at the science behind their firmly held incorrect beliefs. Also, your entire body is made up of chemicals.

I'm afraid the OP has fallen for clever marketing or propaganda.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I switched to using a basic non scented bar of Dove soap for shaving and a regular moisturizer for an aftershave on a recommendation from a dermatologist. Turns out it works pretty well, and I'm no longer spending $$$ on shaving products.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi

x2. Consider that horse piss is "natural", while whisky is "synthetic".

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.