• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western Shirts

Hellbound

Reaction score
This really doesn't seem like the crowd that gets into westen shirts. I happen to love em. There are some companies doing some really good reproductions of classic 1940's-1960's styles. I've got a few treasured HbarC's that I've managed to pick up on the cheap. Anyone here style em'?

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm assuming by "western shirts" you're referring to the snap-button style buttondowns? the aesthetic is faily common around here in fabrics like chambray or denim, like plenty of the shirts made by the flat head.

i myself never got into them but i know RRL, Engineered Garments, and other brands put out snap-button shirts in different styles.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Living in Australia, the western shirt was kinda exotic rockabilly Joe Strummer cool ... living in Texas, I look like just another hick in a Western shirt.

Context is everything.

stoneb

Reaction score
I love western shirts. I bought some Arizona ones a while ago that had a surprisingly nice fit, though the materials and construction were obviously subpar.

Hellbound

Reaction score
This is the style I like. I like wearing ones that aren't that common
l_aa70189af13950702437c4f845f40475.jpg
l_5f2b236e9ed1750c60baaafe066aaab8.jpg
It also really depends on how you wear em'.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Who is that?

Also, could anyone explain the significance of the Woody woodpecker tattoo? I suspect it's a traditional tat, but I've been curious about it's meaning since Raising Arizona. A prison reference to "peckerwoods?" Or something from car culture?

To the OP - aside from thrifts, there is a never ending stream of western shirts on fleabay. Once you find a make you like, you can get more than you can handle. There was one very slim fitting, common brand I quite liked for a while. It had a buffalo logo, can't remember the name.

Hellbound

Reaction score
Who is that?

Also, could anyone explain the significance of the Woody woodpecker tattoo? I suspect it's a traditional tat, but I've been curious about it's meaning since Raising Arizona.
That's me. The Tat is the "Mr Horsepower" logo which dates back to the 30's. AKA Claysmith engineering Co.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
one of my favorite things in the world is my grandfather's trad cowboy shirt with a mother of pearl lasso on the back.

i10casual

Reaction score
I have a friend ,John Ruddox, that makes the shirts you are looking for. http://www.ruddockwesternshirts.com I make 1880's period western shirts. Probably not what you are looking for. These are long, blouse arms, with grandad collars. The woodpecker was usually painted on a lot of old muscle cars. Its probably a nod to that.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Now that I am more concerned with fit it is much harder to find western shirts that fit. I have a ton that are too big in the body, or sleeves that I rocked all throughout late highschool early college.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads