• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western shirts

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
OK, the streetwear forum is getting a little stale. Time for some discussion.

Who here enjoys Western-style shirts? I own a few vintage short-sleeved double-pocket numbers.

A double-pocket western is the only acceptable short-sleeve button-down.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love western style shirts, both vintage and designer remakes, both of which fit much better than, say, Lucky Brand ones. My favorite shirt is actually a "western inspired" Brown Prada stretch poplin number, with the cruved chest pockets, and 3 button cuffs. I really like the Cotton Poly shirts from the 60's and seventies, which are comfortable, look good, and can be exceedingly durable. And I've always had a thing for pearl snaps.

I think that western and military inspired styles, will never be completely *out*. The popularity might wax and wane, but they will always be staples.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
obviously i have quite a few vintage western shirts and love them but primarily ones from the 40s-50s when they were at the height of construction, being made of rayon gabardine with lots of embroidery. there are some nice ones from the 60s but that is when the fabrics switched to a cotton/poly blend which doesnt compare to the gabardines.

my personal fave western shirt is a 1950s off white long sleeve with black flecks and a black/pink arrow pattern throughout. i got it deadstock with the store tags still attached and is definitely an attention getter that gets quite a few looks of admiration at weekenders.

i'm also into good gabardine western jackets. MacMurray makes one of my fave designs from the mid 50s, as does HBarC. yeehaw.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been meaning to ask this - how should I search for cool western shirts on ebay? I love some of the recent deisgner versions I've seen, but don't see many available in the places I shop. Who makes a cool Western style shirt these days? I'd like to give the lonely Rogan Western shirt I've got some company.

sam

Reaction score
Built by Wendy for Wrangler
Frankie B

That's all I know. But if you look at Mexican clothes (like men's formal attire) they are really influenced by western themes. Getting one would be cool.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ive picked up some pretty funky western shirts from a local vintage shop.. the embroidery is pretty funny.. but i like it.. great fit, too

Brian SD

Reaction score
Vintage Levi's and Wrangler are my favorites for sure. Wrangler 47 (built by Wendy) as Sam pointed out, makes some cool ones too.

A Harris I would suggest just searching (western,rodeo) shirt and just sort through the masses of results you get. you could always sort it by price to find the designer ones.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey, while you're searching through eBay if you find decent ones in my size (x-small, the smallest you can find), PM me. Post your size and I'll do the same for you.

Ebay shopping is very tedious but we can combine our powers this way.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kent Wang, if I see anything cool, I'll let you know.

A Harris I would suggest just searching (western,rodeo) shirt and just sort through the masses of results you get. you could always sort it by price to find the designer ones.

Yep - I sort them by highest price first when I search. Not my normal strategy but the sheer mass of listings makes it dificult.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Built by Wendy for Wrangler Frankie B That's all I know. But if you look at Mexican clothes (like men's formal attire) they are really influenced by western themes. Getting one would be cool.
I've been pushing these two brands since they began. The BBW Wrangler 47 line had an amazing western styled corduroy shirt, and I wear my now very distressed chocolate brown Frankie B corduroy western shirt/jacket as my default layering piece. Check out the BBW Wrangler stuff at www.builtbywendy.com

stache

Reaction score
Sometimes Urban Outfitters will carry a western style, but the quality can get sketchy.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes Urban Outfitters will carry a western style, but the quality can get sketchy.
Urban Outfitter has cool things with surprising regularity. However, I'd say at any given time, 75% of what they sell is made with polyester.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I tried on some engineered garment shirts today that could be seen as western inspired (more like worker shirts or hunting gear but hey...) so you might want to look into that. EG has some of the nicest detailing I have ever seen on streetwear pieces...

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a red Wrangler cotton/poly from a thrift store with dark orange snaps that I've always liked, and I had a faded red Rockmount with white pearl diamond snaps from probably the 60s that I wore until it fell apart and/or smelled bad. I like the Rockmounts the best, though I don't know if they still make them. I kind of want to pick up a black one now that this topic has come up. They really work for a lot of situations.

I saw a Mexican guy at a bar once with a western shirt with a HUGE Jesus embroidered on the back. I don't think I could rock that, but I had to give the guy props.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a great vintage western shirt in mauve nylon. Â Think it's from the 40s. Challenge of the vintage western game is finding stuff that is neither perm press nor totally played out. On ebay, outside of a few brands like HbarC, it's just a search term game. This one is very beautiful, in green gabardine, sized a medium but now a more of a small. Edit: perhaps not gabardine, but still beautiful stitching.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads