• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Weskits - The bastardisation of a style icon!

Flashman

Reaction score
Sirs,

New here, so forgive t'overtly sharp tone of t'note.

Re: Weskit - A waistcoat; a vest

The weskit or waistcoat or even vest as it is known - has been t'staple cherry on t'cake, t'cavair for t'champagne, t'Angelina to Brad...! :cough:
For the discerning gent, for t'refined and sartorially educated it has been an important additional to the complete look in a suit!

In the legal sector in England the barristers favor and wear it (as do many solicitors) as it is a look that is not only distinguishable and refined - but is a sign of exemplary effort and sign of additional care and thought taken by the man who could simply wear a 2 piece - but goes the extra mile and hits the 3 piece as his choice of attire!
A CUT ABOVE!

But in the recent seasons badly fitted, annoying pop stars and ignorant buffoons with bad hair cuts have been hi-jacking this most elegant of our gentleman wardrobe and attaching it with jean, t-shirt and trainers!!!

As a lover of the weskit i am aghast and appaled!!!

When will these moronic designers who lead astray the ignorant masses stop the bastardisation of this lovely style icon?
I am sad that person feel that a weskit that should be only ever worn as part of an ensemble feel it can be worn with t-shirts and trainers!

I had no objection to seeing Daniel Craig wearing a tweed jacket with a matching weskit and jean BUT with nice brown leather shoes - he got away with it - but he IS James Bond!

But too many others are causing a crime against fashion and i thinks tis time we stood up against this injustice!

Regards,

Flashy.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.