• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wesco Boots!

Crit_Obs

Reaction score
But don't both of these MP-toe lasts also fit up to 1 width narrower, potentially making for some really cumbersome sizing?

For anyone digging this style, S&S are taking pre-orders on at least one more round of a very special Wesco collab:

34855933_210985672877122_5375100817315463168_n.jpg

This is not how I roll, but gosh that horsehide makes for a fine looking boot.

Iotapa

Reaction score
I think that's referring to the MP95 (low heel) vs MP1339 (high heel) lasts right? I've never heard about any length differences between the two lasts, but Chris told me that the MP95 runs wide while the MP1339 is narrow. I sent my drawings in and was told I was a 7.5C (normally 8D) in the MP95 so I guess they do run wide and long. I did try on a 7400 in 8D which had too much heel slip so I think the 1339 runs long too.

I'm planning on getting the horsehide Foot Patrol through RJL as my first wesco. Hopefully it turns out well.

gte872h

Reaction score
10” British tan Jobmasters, Standard Jobmaster last (9165), double midsole, Vibram 700 outsole, Thought I would be getting packer uppers instead but this is great for me without the heavy white stitching. Plus it makes it unique compared to my other boots.

E1C6B860-AC28-408F-8398-BB6FB1B5B558.jpeg

4C1E12EC-E6B5-4DED-9A0F-3A59E089DBDD.jpeg

AFDE17BA-03CA-4D99-907D-0CA9D242F1AD.jpeg

Plus one pic in the sun

2C2251EF-04BA-490A-BD5D-8788364C6CB1.jpeg

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I would be getting packer uppers instead but this is great for me without the heavy white stitching....
@gte872h
I see you ordered from Bakers with the packer upper, but got the standard jobmaster upper instead. You seemed pretty cool with it. I am thinking of also ordering a jobmaster with packer upper from Bakers...

Did you ever find out what went wrong with your order? How did they mess it up? Where and how did you specify the packer upper? Did they offer to make it right? What would you have done differently vis a vis the ordering if you knew then what you know now?

Thanks for the help...

gte872h

Reaction score
@gte872h
I see you ordered from Bakers with the packer upper, but got the standard jobmaster upper instead. You seemed pretty cool with it. I am thinking of also ordering a jobmaster with packer upper from Bakers...

Did you ever find out what went wrong with your order? How did they mess it up? Where and how did you specify the packer upper? Did they offer to make it right? What would you have done differently vis a vis the ordering if you knew then what you know now?

Thanks for the help...

I’m not sure what went wrong. I didn’t even inquire about it since I was happy everything else was according to spec. I used the same terminology that Wesco uses as far as I’m aware. I ordered a Jobmaster with packer uppers on the standard Jobmaster (9165) last. I’m not sure if the “no white stitching on the uppers” threw them off? I’d recommend reaching out to both Kyle at Bakers and Chris at Wesco to make sure your order goes through correctly.

HolyBootsBatman

Reaction score
D2DDDE10-DF6A-4651-9DFE-610DA67827B9.jpeg
Boots that can take a beating, so that I don’t have to.

I wish this thread was more active.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish this thread was more active.
Me too... how about a pair of Wesco's for the office... the Vibram 100 sole does not even look that out of place! Love these shoes...
Brown Domaine on the 9109 bump toe last... the thickness of this leather is amazing... look at that cap toe.
IMG-3403.JPG

HolyBootsBatman

Reaction score
2A7162AE-EFBF-44E1-BF45-41F0AA2213DC.jpeg

For the LLT & Kiltie wearers out there: I found this knot holds the kiltie in well and keeps the forefoot snug.

Last edited:

crow1503

Reaction score
Lately, I found a great Wesco x obc (Indonesia denim maker) boots, I really wanted those boots.
but I have some worries in my head since the price tag about $600++

1. problem I don't know my sizing with Wesco ( this boot is packer boots base and basic loger heels, I ask directly to Wesco this last is running bigger so I need to downsize maybe about 1 size?) is it true? or you can tell me other option to get my sizing right? (like comparing with other boots or shoes)
2. this packer boots base, did they have great arch support? ( I'm an office worker but I really want comfortable boots for my daily activity and also I want to try the arch support! hahaha)
3. If I'm not wrong the thickness of special leather from Wesco is around 6oz, is it still bearable for like tropical country? ( this boot is without lining and the leather composition is horsehide (upper and backstay) x cowhide (the rest of boots) and the temperature is around 30-34 Celcius)
4. and the last question for all of Wesco fans in here, did Wesco really worth the money? ($400++)

Regards,

Erlando

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lately, I found a great Wesco x obc (Indonesia denim maker) boots, I really wanted those boots.
but I have some worries in my head since the price tag about $600++

1. problem I don't know my sizing with Wesco ( this boot is packer boots base and basic loger heels, I ask directly to Wesco this last is running bigger so I need to downsize maybe about 1 size?) is it true? or you can tell me other option to get my sizing right? (like comparing with other boots or shoes)
2. this packer boots base, did they have great arch support? ( I'm an office worker but I really want comfortable boots for my daily activity and also I want to try the arch support! hahaha)
3. If I'm not wrong the thickness of special leather from Wesco is around 6oz, is it still bearable for like tropical country? ( this boot is without lining and the leather composition is horsehide (upper and backstay) x cowhide (the rest of boots) and the temperature is around 30-34 Celcius)
4. and the last question for all of Wesco fans in here, did Wesco really worth the money? ($400++)

Regards,

Erlando
I will shoot you straight...

1) $600 is quite a large amount of money to spend on boots where you do not know your size. Handmade boots are not like athletic shoes where the sizing is somewhat consistent from brand to brand. Each maker uses different lasts and each last fits differently... the best option is to get fitted and measured in person, the second best is to send tracings and measurements to the manufacturer. Some people get lucky with their first purchase... many do not. For $600 the boots should fit perfectly, not "pretty good" or "ok", or acceptable with thick or thin socks...

It is hard to give sizing advice without knowing the last... in general I find I size down one half American size from my Brannock measurement, but YMMV. Plus it is unlikely you will be wearing these with thick socks, so take that into account.

2) I find Wesco to have good arch support, certainly more than sneakers or dress shoes. I do find White's packers to have even more arch support than Wesco however.

3) Honestly I would never even consider a handmade Northwest (Wesco, White's, Nick's, etc.) boot for a tropical country... you will suffer unbearably even if unlined and with light socks. I tried to wear a similar pair of boots in Florida... not a good idea... seriously, these are heavy boots made with heavy leather, and they get hot... I would hate for you to spend a large sum of money and find the boots just don't work for the tropics.

4) Again, straight up honest... if you are a logger, farmer, construction worker, or in some other outdoor field, the boots are absolutely worth the price for the durability and protection. For office and fashion use, they are overkill, but to each his own and it is your money. In my opinion many of the old classic brands (I am looking at you Viberg) have moved from work boots to fashion...I honestly think you hit a point of diminishing returns quality wise around $400... the cost of a basic Jobmaster or Smokejumper... anything more than that and you are paying for name and "fashion".

In the end it is your money and your decision, but you MUST get the sizing right... if you don't you will resent the money you spent on the boots.

One other point... wear the boots for two weeks (a month is better) at a minimum to break them in... the leather in these types of boots is insanely tough and requires time to break in. In the tropical environment, your feet will sweat, get cedar shoe trees and keep them in the boots... allow 2 days off the foot for every day you wear them... if you do not allow them to completely dry, they will smell and deteriorate faster.

Good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics