• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wesco Boots!

Jmccle2

Reaction score
Out of the box and on my feet! Perfect fit.

2BF9F279-092E-44EC-AD7A-058E9387D2CA.jpeg

miggyramone

Reaction score
Hey y'all

I am thinking about finally giving Wesco Jobmasters a try, as they are my grail boots. I've ordered a few pairs of White's through Baker's and they have me at solid 9.5 F (EEE) in their traditional Smoke Jumper. When I asked about Wesco Jobmaster sizing they recommended a 10 EEE. I then sent tracings to Wesco themselves and they said a 9 EEE would work in a custom fit. Needless to say, I am a bit confused.

For the record, I've worn 9.5 EE in Red Wing's 8 last, 9.5 EEE in Wolverine 1000 Miles, and 9.5 EEE in Allen Edmonds Higgins Mill.

I'd appricate any insight regarding sizing. Thanks!

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all

I am thinking about finally giving Wesco Jobmasters a try, as they are my grail boots. I've ordered a few pairs of White's through Baker's and they have me at solid 9.5 F (EEE) in their traditional Smoke Jumper. When I asked about Wesco Jobmaster sizing they recommended a 10 EEE. I then sent tracings to Wesco themselves and they said a 9 EEE would work in a custom fit. Needless to say, I am a bit confused.

For the record, I've worn 9.5 EE in Red Wing's 8 last, 9.5 EEE in Wolverine 1000 Miles, and 9.5 EEE in Allen Edmonds Higgins Mill.

I'd appricate any insight regarding sizing. Thanks!
My Jobmasters are on the 9109 bump toe last. I find I take the same width as in White's 4811, but I need to go 1/2 length longer in Wesco. I am an 11.5 in White's, a 12 in Wesco. Perhaps the White's arch ease pulls my toes in a little... who knows?

I have never gone wrong trusting Kyle at Bakers... and his advice seems to be the same as mine... go 1/2 size longer in Wesco...

Best of luck

SleepyTexan

Reaction score
Gonna have to agree with the above advice.

In Wesco's 9165 last I take a 9-1/2E or 10D and in their MP95? last I take a 10E, in my White's/Nick's 55 last I take a 9E and in White's MP/Barrie last I take a 9EE, in Red Wings 8 last I wear a 9EE as well.

Jmccle2

Reaction score
Gonna have to agree with the above advice.

In Wesco's 9165 last I take a 9-1/2E or 10D and in their MP95? last I take a 10E, in my White's/Nick's 55 last I take a 9E and in White's MP/Barrie last I take a 9EE, in Red Wings 8 last I wear a 9EE as well.

I take a 10D in the 9165 and 10E in the 1339. I did remove the leather insert from both pairs to give my toes more room.

I have a 10D in the 55 and 4811 and both are comfortable.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m playing around with ordering a pair of Wesco Boss boots. I’m between a 10 and 10.5EEE on the Brannock and a 9F in White’s Bounty Hunters. What sizing advise do you all offer? Thanks!

edit: also, I see that ordering through Bakers there is an option for a 1” narrower shaft. Would you recommend this for fitting under jeans?

another edit: the site illustrations don’t really show much difference between the motorcycle patrol, western and boss toes. Is it no more than a slight variation in roundness or is it more pronounced than that?

Last edited:

SleepyTexan

Reaction score
I’m playing around with ordering a pair of Wesco Boss boots. I’m between a 10.5EEE on the Brannock and a 9F in White’s Bounty Hunters. What sizing advise do you all offer? Thanks!

edit: also, I see that ordering through Bakers there is an option for a 1” narrower shaft. Would you recommend this for fitting under jeans?

another edit: the site illustrations don’t really show much difference between the motorcycle patrol, western and boss toes. Is it no more than a slight variation in roundness or is it more pronounced than that?
I'm assuming you looked at the catalog
but other than the roundness which you can see you're also missing out on toe height which many have found to put some pressure on their toes while breaking them in so they tend to remove the insert for a few wears until it's more manageable.

It's difficult to recommend sizing due to the lasts requiring different sizes but if you stick with the standard boss/round toe then I'd go half a size up from your White's and the same or one less width as it runs a bit long and is a bit roomy. If you go for the motor patrol toe then I'd go TTS and depending on whether you get the MP95 last, which fits wide, or the MP1339 last, which fits narrow, you may need to adjust width.

The above is based on my limited experience, if you've been sized by Baker's then I highly suggest asking them what size they'd recommend for you.

If you don't want the steel shank you can request a leather shank along with a half slip.

I definitely suggest asking for the narrower shaft for jeans but keep in mind that depending on your instep you may experience technical difficulty.

Check out Wesco's stockists like Standard & Strange, Division Road, Iron Heart America, Ship John, etc. for some ideas on what each toe looks like more or less.
I think the 7400/7500/7600 boss all have narrowed shafts but
Ship John
includes some on foot photos.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^
Great info, thank you! After more reading and an email exchange with Kyle I think I’m closer to the 10EEE in the 9165 Boss last - since these aren’t hiking boots like my Bounty Hunters, I reckon I’m better going down if I am right between 10 and 10.5.

I’m still on the fence on the narrower shaft. I thought this was only at the top, around the calf- how would my instep affect things?

I’m also tempted to add the inside leg knife pocket just for fun, but I’m pretty sure that would just feel awkward and catch on everything, right? I had a pistol ankle holster for a while that I hated for those reasons.

SleepyTexan

Reaction score
That works too and honestly, Kyle knows best. On the off chance that it's not enough you can always take out the leather insert for a bit more volume which is a nice option to have.

Your instep may or may not get in the way of you putting on your boots going down the shaft; I may have taken your comment too literally but the entire shaft is narrowed.

The pocket is not something I have experience with but I think I recall seeing a few reviews that did get it, you may want to talk to Kyle about how others have felt about it.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks again for your help. Another question:

I’m going to get one heel lift for comfort when standing - that was my only regret with my Bounty Hunters. Plus the extended curve on the loggers’ heel looks nice. What about the double midsole? I have no practical need for it (or anything else on this boot, if I’m really being honest) and I’m thinking it may add to heel slip. But in looking at photos, I alternate between thinking it’s an added subtle degree of sturdiness that looks nice- to thinking it turns them into something you’d expect to see Ace Freeley wearing on stage!

SleepyTexan

Reaction score
When you mention one heel lift do you mean the standard height or an additional 1/4" on top of that?
I also really dig the logger heel.
Adding a another midsole will definitely make the boot feel stiffer out of the box until you break them in, or until they break you, but if you'd like a compromise you could always opt for a half slip.
Personally if I were to use the pair for work I'd definitely get a double midsole but if it's not gonna take too much of a beating I would opt for a half slip or the single midsole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads