• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wes Anderson, Any Fans?

dganderson

Reaction score
Any fans of Wes Anderson's films? I actually started out backwards by watching The Darjeeling Limited first and then going through them all until I got to Bottle Rocket. I have to say that they're great, although The Royal Tenenbaums is probably my favorite with The Darjeeling Limited in a close second.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like how he has all the adult characters of his movies treat all the children characters as adults.

I also enjoy this bit from Rushmore
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I'm more annoyed by Wes Anderson worship than I am by the actual movies. Bottle Rocket and Rushmore were pretty good, and Life Aquatic had some fun visuals, but the appeal of empty, hopelessly naive caricatures of people as characters wears thin after awhile. The emphasis on obscure indie soundtracks for hipster cred is a bit stale too. Anderson is essentially one dimensional as a director. He could never direct an action film, horror film, or serious drama the way a great director should be able to. He basically makes stylish two-hour infomercials to sell the life of Williamsburg coffee shops.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Recently watched The Darjeeling Limited and quite enjoyed it. Have been unable to find out what the lighter is that Jack uses in the movie though ....
ffffuuuu.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
Recently watched The Darjeeling Limited and quiet enjoyed it. Have been unable to find out what the lighter is that Jack uses in the movie though ....
ffffuuuu.gif

Probably a Dunhill.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I can assure you he spent more time trying to find the perfect lighter than he did trying to find the perfect plot.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rushmore, yes. The others, not so much. There's only so much moping I can take in one movie.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I thought Rushmore was hilarious; I am not sure I have seen any of the other ones from start to finish.

MHH89

Reaction score
He basically makes stylish two-hour infomercials to sell the life of Williamsburg coffee shops.[/quote]

+1

For further reference watch that crap show "Bored to Death"

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
I'm more annoyed by Wes Anderson worship than I am by the actual movies. Bottle Rocket and Rushmore were pretty good, and Life Aquatic had some fun visuals, but the appeal of empty, hopelessly naive caricatures of people as characters wears thin after awhile. The emphasis on obscure indie soundtracks for hipster cred is a bit stale too. Anderson is essentially one dimensional as a director. He could never direct an action film, horror film, or serious drama the way a great director should be able to. He basically makes stylish two-hour infomercials to sell the life of Williamsburg coffee shops.

I can agree to that sentiment wholeheartedly. Whether or not most of his characters are empty, that's up for debate. But, the Wes Anderson worship and overall appeal to him because his aesthetic, prose and/or indie appeal is pretty annoying. I'm with the OP, I actually really enjoyed the Darjeeling Limited and Royal T a whole lot...I mean, Gene Hackman's character is in no way,shape or form empty...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz
I actually really enjoyed [. . .] Royal T a whole lot...I mean, Gene Hackman's character is in no way,shape or form empty...

I agree with you completely about Hackman. He was hysterically funny in that movie. My problem was, he was the only one. Everybody else was just a vacuous sack of sad Andersonness* who frowned for two hours straight.

*new word coined by Teacher. Copyright 2009

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
Recently watched The Darjeeling Limited and quite enjoyed it. Have been unable to find out what the lighter is that Jack uses in the movie though ....
ffffuuuu.gif

everytime someone says this about Darjeeling, I feel so dense. Did I miss something or is this an intellectual movie because I am a simple man and I found this movie dragged on and was rather boring. And I like Owen Wilson.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MHH89
For further reference watch that crap show "Bored to Death"
That show sure does suck Williamsburg's nuts pretty dam hard, but i can look past that. I find there are some hilarious one-liners, if nothing else..and Olivia Thirlby certainly helps. e.g. There was a scene where jo-nose-than swartzman was trying to seduce parker posey and this classic one-line gem came out: "I'm a vegan at heart, but my mouth is what lacks discipline"

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero

I haven't seen all of his movies, but I've enjoyed the ones I've seen. I also have the ones I haven't seen in my Netflix queue. I don't know if I'd call myself a "fan," but I happily take the chance to see his movies when it's presented.

That said, the above paragraph might be the best description of his work I've ever seen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads