• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Were to buy a great Navy Blazer?

slaavwmr

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a nice Navy Blazer. This will be my first one. Obviously, I don't want to break the bank, but I'm not afraid of spending money on it. The only thing I know is I want the classic single breasted. Anyone have some good ideas?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
any number of places have navy blazers, thrift shops, ebay, malls, etc... I'd say a Brooks blazer wouldn't be a bad choice, and you can find them all over ebay for $30-50.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J. Crew has a pretty nice one, half-canvassed, for $348.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
post or PM me your jacket size-- I can keep my eye out for a couple you might consider on ebay; I consider myself a self-proclaimed Ebay Jedi Master.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest spending some money to buy high quality, since a blue blazer is one of those timeless classics that will never go out of style. I didn't do that and now regret it, as I need to replace my original blazer.

jester

Reaction score
I'm actually going to be in the market for a new blazer soon; my current model--a lovely doeskin from J. Press--is nearing the end of its life. Not sure whether to stick with a standby like Press or Brooks, or get something from Chan or whatever--I don't really need it to be "stylish", I need another workhorse.

jester

Reaction score
More or less. Twin vents would be nice. Maybe a burgundy lining. It's never easy, is it?
wink.gif

linux_pro

Reaction score
No, it isn't. I am actually replacing most of my wardrobe currently, and am stuck at the navy blazer. Not sure whether to go DB or SB. Not sure which type to pick up. I am currently thinking Brioni 3-button SB, and not sure which to pick up if I go DB, because I've never owned one. I saw a gentleman last night out dining who was wearing a DB navy blazer and it looked dashing.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hm, I have a couple diff navy blazers that I have had good luck with.

I have two Brooks blazers, 1 346, 1 collection, a Corneliani Linea Sartoria, and two Oxxford blazers, all of which seem to work quite well.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a gentleman last night out dining who was wearing a DB navy blazer and it looked dashing.
I have several blazers (5) and my favorite is a Charvet DB 6-button in navy flannel. More character and interest than the typical SB 120s (which I also have) and least like a school uniform.

linux_pro

Reaction score
Exactly. That's the exact reason I've always preferred DB jackets. I've always avoided the DB blazer because people say skinny guys shouldn't wear them. I started a new thread about that to avoid changing the topic on this one.

I asked that gentleman last night where he got his blazer, he said his wife picked it up for him somewhere in London. I really wish I knew where, because it was very dignified looking, very handsome, and the buttons were not those tacky outlandish super-gold ones, they were more subdued (still gold), although I'm not sure how to explain it. The overall look was extremely sophisticated. I couldn't get up the nerve to ask what brand. That would have been quite tacky.

And I couldn't agree more about wanting to avoid the prep-school look, it does make me feel like a dorky little kid whenever I try to wear a SB navy blazer. So I really haven't worn one much since graduation. But I'd like to, and that's why I'm now investigating some DB blazers.

jester

Reaction score
As I said over in that (or some) other thread, a DB jacket generally makes me feel Dressed Up. And when I want to dress up, I wear a suit. For me a blazer is almost an accessory; I want it to look good for kicking around, but it has to follow me, not vice-versa. Hence the need for a SB, at least now.

Aside from my wearing-out J. Press one, I have a wearing-out tropical weight Brooks blazer. But I have a few more months to worry about that, for obvious reasons.

linux_pro

Reaction score
Do you like your Brooks blazer? I haven't ever bought from BB, because I always thought their blazers looked a little cheap, or too plain or something. How does yours wear? Has it held up well over time? I want to pick one up that will last a while, and will look as good in a year or two as it does when I purchase it. I have a Canali (I think) navy SB, and I rarely wear it, but it has really kept up quite well over the 4 years I've owned it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads