• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Went Shopping for Overcoats Today in SF

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went shopping for overcoats today in San Francisco. I only had time to shop around the Westfield San Francisco Centre where the new Bloomingdales is located. I went wearing a sweater and a blazer to be sure that I had enough layers on for when it might get really cold so I could get a better idea for the sizing.

I went to H&M, Bloomingdales and Zara.

At Bloomingdales I found a beautiful brown cashmere (maybe it was a blend) from Z Zegna.

Zara had many cool topcoats, but I was surprisingly a size XL, which was even a little bit small.

At H&M the price was right at $99, but the jackets were kind of plain and the wool gave me a rash just looking at it.

Out of all the topcoats, they were very very form fitting. More like a long, warmer blazer is how they all fit. H&M had the most room I'd say.

Is this the new style of how things are going? Seems like the style is to just wear one of these over a shirt and tie. This would be fine but what do I wear over my clothes when I am wearing a blazer? Do you just get two separate coats?

In the end I decided to save my money for now and use my INC polyester jacket from last year layered with sweaters underneath. Should be enough to get me through a California winter.

I currently have nothing to wear over a blazer.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I currently have nothing to wear over a blazer.
You should at least have a raincoat.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of all the topcoats, they were very very form fitting. More like a long, warmer blazer is how they all fit. H&M had the most room I'd say.

One of the reasons why I keep all of my old, topcoats. Too much of what's currently available is geared to very young people, with very stylish bodies.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Go to Wilkes Bashfrod, Saks, NM, etc and find out what you like. Then wait until January and get our overcoat at 2/3 off.

Yes I'm not going to buy one this season I've decided. I'll just see if sweaters and my heavy windbreaker with gloves and scarf will be enough.

I have a mens wearhouse overcoat that is full length that actually works quite well over suits. It is basic plain black, looks fine. Since it is full length though I can't really wear it with anything else other than a suit. It protects against rain well but looks much too formal with anything but a suit. Wish I had gotten the 3/4 length.

I'm very slim, but there is no way anyone with any muscle tone could wear a suit under any of these topcoats that I tried on. I couldn't even hardly move with them on when I had the blazer. I will use this winter to better determine what my needs are.

Maybe I'll just have to end up wearing my winter blazers on warmer days it isn't raining and wear the topcoat over a sweater.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not sure what kind of sweater you were wearing, but wouldn't a suit/dress shirt be a bit less bulky than sweater/blazer? Sizing up is also an option.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I'm not sure what kind of sweater you were wearing, but wouldn't a suit/dress shirt be a bit less bulky than sweater/blazer? Sizing up is also an option.

I was wearing a thin cotton sweater and a thin quarter lined cotton blazer as well. The winter blazer I have is being tailored at the moment. It is a much heavier wool/cashmere blend.

Thing with sizing up is that the shoulders tend to get a bit wide. The Z Zegna has been "flying off the racks" and there wasn't another size available. I already wear the biggest size there is at Zara. And H&M was a little too drab I think.

I'll reassess things if I start freezing ****** off.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A topcoat ideally should be rather formed in shape.

I have noticed, however, that there are numerous sales-help of the homosexual persuasion in high end stores in San Francisco; I fear their emotive restraint.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I fear that they might be ********** on to of the tie table.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll save you the agony of the stories I've heard in regards to the dressing rooms
wow.gif

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
To clarify, do you usually get one size larger for your overcoat, or are overcoat sizes already one size larger?

I think I have broad shoulders so, looking around for OTR overcoats, I was wary of getting something too wide and shapeless.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
To clarify, do you usually get one size larger for your overcoat, or are overcoat sizes already one size larger?

I think I have broad shoulders so, looking around for OTR overcoats, I was wary of getting something too wide and shapeless.

I don't think my shoulders are so broad. I have a big chest with naturally large pec muscles so I always have a hard time in the chest. Upsizing usually works in the chest, but then the shoulders are too wide for my liking.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal

If anything I get one size smaller in an overcoat.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I'll save you the agony of the stories I've heard in regards to the dressing rooms
wow.gif

No more than three items at a time?
eek.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads