• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Welted shoes: Metal toe taps (indented) in Los Angeles area?

FourierX

Reaction score
Do we know of any cobblers in the Los Angeles area who can do indented metal toe taps on welted leather soles?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I've never had it done to my shoes, tho I have had shoes that came with metal toe taps integrated into the soles (on heel and toe). Personally I hate metal toe taps, I dont like the way they clack when you walk on harder surfaces like a wood floor. Also I've always had problems slipping when the metal heel tap slides on a slick surface, making them a slight safety hazard. Not sure if you ever had shoes with metal taps but if not, while they seem cool, in real world functionality, I wouldnt recommend them and just prefer rubber heel/toe taps that you can replace as they get worn. but YMMV

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
as far as a cobbler that could do it...there is a place I like in San Marino (just south of Pasadena) on Huntington Drive, nearest larger cross street is Granada (shop is east of Granada on south side of huntington) I dont remember their name, I just go in there, and tbh I never really paid attention as it's a generic shoe repair name, but they do really good work and I'd imagine adding on indented metal taps would be no problem, assuming you have the taps (I doubt they'd want to go thru the legwork of finding you taps esp if you're going to be picky on their size/appearance)

but I'm sure there's plenty of other smaller cobbler shops that would do it just fine (i do find cobbler shops to be getting fewer and harder to find, as many have closed down due to the owner retiring etc...seems to be one of those lost art businesses)

FourierX

Reaction score
Thank you, Sir. I have a couple of shoes with toe taps (not heel taps - they do no good and make a ton of noise indeed, toes alone are a different story) and I want these on the rest of my arsenal. I'll give your proposed cobbler call and see. The cobblers I've talked to have pretty much no idea what I'm talking about which does not instill much confidence.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads