• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Welted Shoe?

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
How does one determine whether a shoe is welted?

If one were to see stitching on the bottom of the sole, is this a reliable indication of welting?

What about stitching only on top of the sole (rubber on the bottom)? Is this just decorative, and not actual, functional stitching?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Look for stitching on the outter edge of the sole's bottom that is basically parallel to the stitching on the welting, and nothing else. Blake stitching will be "inside" the verticle line of the uppers, if that makes any sense.

Also be aware that, with very expensive shoes, the bottom stitching will be hidden by a flap of leather. This flap can be detected by looking closely at the outter edge of the sole's bottom, where you'll see a seam.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How can you tell the difference between that and faked welting? Does anyone fake it, for that matter?

Duveen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
How can you tell the difference between that and faked welting? Does anyone fake it, for that matter?
A lot of glue-job specials will fake stitching (e.g. around the top on the outside of the sole), which is the visible manifestation of a welt, but I don't think anyone fakes welting on the inside of a shoe - where you'd see Blake stitching. You can usually tell fake stitching on the top of a shoe if you look closely - it is clear that it does not serve a functional purpose.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone fake stitching under the sole?

I'm curious because I have a pair of boots from J Crew, and I really don't know if the welting's real or not. My suspicion is no, but it'd be nice if it were.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never seen fake stitching on the undersides. That doesn't mean it's never done, but I don't see that most people who buy cemented shoes would think to check or even care.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
I am still confused.

So if there is stitching only on top, but not on bottom, it's decorative (fake)?

I saw an Allen Edmonds that had the stitching on top, but rubber on the bottom (no stitching). I thought all A-E are Goodyear-welted?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it's leather soled, then yes (unless the bottom stitching is covered by a flap of leather...but you should be able to see that up close). If the shoe is rubber soled, it's not a clear-cut issue. Better rubber soled dress shoes are welted, and the welt is sewn to a thin layer of rubber. That layer of rubber is cemented to the thicker outsole, so there is no stitching visible on the bottoms. Most rubber-soled AE's are like this. You can tell by looking at the area between the welt and the outsole: if there's a thin third layer in there, it's truly a welted shoe. If the "welt" is affixed directly to the rubber outsole (again, with no stitching visible on the underside), then this really isn't a welt at all, but a cosmetic piece, and the entire shoe is cemented.

By the way, cemented shoes can be resoled...buy why would one do that?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The best rubber dress shoes actually have the rubber sole sewn on. AE is a bit more mid-market, and is constructed in a less labor/cost intesive way.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some A-Es of the recent past like the Dellwood and (I think) the Canton did have sewn-on rubber soles.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, if I have a boot with stitching on top and stitching visibule on the bottom of the rubber sole, what does that mean? I have trouble believing that a pair of boots from J Crew would be extremely well constructed, but I guess it's not impossible.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Some A-Es of the recent past like the Dellwood and (I think) the Canton did have sewn-on rubber soles.

Those weren't full rubber soles, but rather partial soles. But yes, they had stitching visible on the undersides.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, if I have a boot with stitching on top and stitching visibule on the bottom of the rubber sole, what does that mean? I have trouble believing that a pair of boots from J Crew would be extremely well constructed, but I guess it's not impossible.

It could be welted construction, or it could be Blake stitched (hence the visible stitching on the bottom of the sole) with fake stitching around the welt. If it is Blake stitched, the stitches on the bottom of the sole will not line up with the welt. With my Blake stitched shoes, you can look inside the shoe and see the stitching on the inside. Sometimes the sock liner covers the stitches on the inside of the shoe, but even then you can feel them.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The stitches don't line up, so I guess it could be Blake stitching (I have no idea what this is), but I can't feel (let alone see) stitches inside the boots, either.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The stitches don't line up, so I guess it could be Blake stitching (I have no idea what this is), but I can't feel (let alone see) stitches inside the boots, either.
Blake stitching is where the stitches go through the sole on the inside of the upper leather. If you peel up your insoles, you may see stitches around the edge of the front of the boot. That would be Blake stitching.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads