• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Well-written comics/graphic novels

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they exist? I think the stories of superheroes like Batman, Superman, etc are engaging, but what little I've read of comic books has shown them to be simplistic and really lacking much depth. Part of the problem is the media itself, I know, but have I been looking at the wrong things, or is there something actually good out there?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Yes.

animeman05

Reaction score
Watchmen by Alan Moore was placed on Time's best 100 novels of the 20th century. Other notable titles are Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller, Pride of Baghdad, Jimmy Corrigan Boy Genius, Sandman by Neil Gaiman, and many more.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Walking Dead series is pretty good.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^

My name is Burningbright, and I approve of this list. :stands with shirt sleeves rolled up and jacket slung over one shoulder and one knee on a children's school desk:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
anything by naoki urasawa or mitsuru adachi

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really liked Maus and Kingdom Come.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing about kingdom come, the dark knight returns and watchmen is that so much of their narrative focus is on comics as a medium and superheroes as a genre, which makes them hard for new readers to "get"

If you choose to read watchmen, try to see each character as an analogue of a different superhero archetype but taken to the extreme. Also, one of the big themes is why people become superhefroes in the first place. Of all three it probably stands best in its own, but its still very much an insider's book IMO.

For DKR, you have to see it as the radical incarnation of batman that it was. While, at the time, batman wasn't Adam west-level cheesiness per-se, it was a lot brighter and much less niorish. TDKR reimagines batman as the character we know today, which his why some readers find it so underwhelming.

For KC, know that, in the 90's, comics were all about grim n gritty, mostly due to urge influence of DKR and watchmen.most of the superheroes were portrayed as amoral antiheroes, and KC is a critique of that

We3 was short and really good. Sandman is pretty awesome as well.

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Persepolis

American Splendor

Preacher

The Cape

Powers (also somewhat "meta")

AstroCity (very meta)

The Goon

Many, many people say that The Sandman is the best comic series ever, but reading the whole thing is a significant undertaking. It can be read in pieces, but taken as a whole it is a modern epic.

Last edited:

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Watchmen by Alan Moore was placed on Time's best 100 novels of the 20th century. Other notable titles are Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller, Pride of Baghdad, Jimmy Corrigan Boy Genius, Sandman by Neil Gaiman, and many more.

Persepolis

Many, many people say that The Sandman is the best comic series ever, but reading the whole thing is a significant undertaking. It can be read in pieces, but taken as a whole it is a modern epic.

Great rec on Sandman by Neil Gaiman. It was a toss-up between the first volume of that series, or the first volume of LXG, but I ended up going with Sandman because a) I liked the artistic style better and b) I like some of Neil Gaiman's work (American Gods, Neverwhere) and think he's generally a pretty good writer.

Anyways, I got the first volume of Sandman (Preludes & Nocturnes) and I'm about halfway through it. It's pretty cool, and while it's certainly a different experience from reading a book, I've enjoyed it thus far.

Last edited:

esswhykay

Reaction score

SF might be the perfect demographic for this book.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads