• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Well Stocked Pantry

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I frequently find myself lacking the ingrediants needed to cook foods found in my cookbooks. Anyone have a list or a link to a list pantry essentials? I'm think largely about dry goods or things with long shelf lives.
I usually stock(not counting spices)
Coconut milk
Confectioners Sugar
Baking powder
Baking soda
Indian Head Cornmeal
cocoa powder
All purpose Flour
Sugar
Brown Sugar
Sugar in the Raw
Shortening
Granulated Sugar
Condensed Milk
Sweet Condensed milk
Cream of Mushroom/Chicken/Broccoli
Cornstarch
Unsweetened chocolate
Semi or bitter sweet chocolate
Oatmeal
Cereal
Crackers
Dried breadcrumbs
Pasta
Tomato paste
Canned Tomatoes
Stewed Tomatoe
Red Hot hot sause
Calypso sauce
Pukka Brown Scotch Bonnett Hot Sauce
Peri Peri Hot sauce
Red Wine Vinegar
White Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinagar
Balsamic
Truffle Oil
Kidney beans
Pigeon Beans
Pickled Scotch Bonnett peppers
Olive Oil
Bullion
Honey

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
So, so personal.

I will say that you should get a high smoke point oil like canola, and don't try to saute everything in olive oil. First, the flavor is much less neutral than other oils. For some things, that's good, but for others, you just don't want it. Second, it burns at really high heat.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good list (and certainly more than I stock). Not much too add but there a few other items I usually keep on hand:

Instant polenta
Canned corn
Panko
Rice (basmati, Kokuho Rose)

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I would also add

a few types of rice
rice wine vinegar
soy sauce
sciracha
fish sauce
maple syrup
salted capers
canned sardines/anchovies
fish sauce
worcestshire
lentils
couscous

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I would also add

a few types of rice
rice wine vinegar
soy sauce
sciracha
fish sauce
maple syrup
salted capers
canned sardines/anchovies
fish sauce
worcestshire
lentils
couscous

Good stuff. I do keep soy, and I like fish sauce but never thought of buying it. Is couscous very hard to prepare? What is sciracha?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Excellent list so far. Off the cuff, I'd add:

bread flour
pastry flour
garbanzo beans canned
canned clams, oysters, and smoked salmon
olives
molasses
variety of dried beans

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Good stuff. I do keep soy, and I like fish sauce but never though of buying it. Is couscous very hard to prepar? What is sciracha?
Couscous is simple (I'm talking the pasta itself, not the more complex dishes based on it, also sometimes referred to as "couscous".) One thing that makes it a great staple for me is it's quick. Basically pour boiling water over it, cover and let steep 5 minutes or so, and you're set. Sciracha is hot sauce. You're well-stocked in that department, but sciracha is indispensable for me. Also referred to by some as "cock sauce". Insert your own joke here: http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Excellent list so far. Off the cuff, I'd add:

bread flour
pastry flour
garbanzo beans canned
canned clams, oysters, and smoked salmon
olives
molasses
variety of dried beans

I've heard of bread flour what is pastry for?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
I've heard of bread flour what is pastry for?

It's flour with a lower protein content. I think it's got 8-10%, whereas bread flour is like 14%. The lower protein content affects how much gluten is developed once heat and water get applied, so pastry flour helps make flakier stuff like pie crusts, biscuits, etc.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
It's flour with a lower protein content. I think it's got 8-10%, whereas bread flour is like 14%. The lower protein content affects how much gluten is developed once heat and water get applied, so pastry flour helps make flakier stuff like pie crusts, biscuits, etc.

Thank you Sir.I like making pies I may get some of this.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, criminey. I stock something on the order of four times as many goods as the OP. I like to be able to make....whatever when I feel like it. It's the fresh ingedients that catch me up.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, this is pretty impressive, everyone has really stocked pantries.

My "pantry" consists of cans of tuna, rice, beans, pasta, cans of tomatoes, a few types of flour, white sugar, brown sugar, honey, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, a few "ethnic" ingredients, wine, tea, and coffee, and not much else.

It is getting increasingly rare that I have the time to make the elaborate meals I used to make. I'd say it has been two years since I've made fresh raviolis, for example.

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
Did I miss salt & pepper?
smile.gif

I think it is a pretty good list you have there, but don't forget that many things don't keep well for a long, long time. Even spices loose some flavor, so buy small amounts (but good quality), if you don't need them often.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

lol8[1].gif

That's just too funny.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads