• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Well, I'm f****d

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last semester, I went through the transfer process to get out of here, and at the end of it, I was trying to decide between UConn, Columbia, and Bard. I didn't really like the atmosphere at Columbia when I visited, but Bard had overenrolled its freshmen and waitlisted all of its transfers. My community college offered me a scholarship if I stayed a semester to finish my degree (never really cared about it before; I was always just planning on transferring after two years), and as the scholarship was very substantial and as my bank account was very not, I decided to wait a semester before going to Bard. Towards the end of this semester, I found out that the scholarship I'd been promised was now in jeopardy, and after spending the last three weeks fighting for my life and politicking to hold onto this thing, I found out yesterday that it's over, and there's nothing else I can do. There is no more scholarship, and I'm on my own. I also just wasted the entire semester, and because I thought I had my finances pretty well taken care of, I hadn't been looking for additional scholarships or planning on loans anywhere near as big as they're going to be now. (In case anyone's feeling litigous, the school's kept separate from the school foundation and its endowment, and if I caused any more trouble, it would probably just result in a number of people I care about getting hung out to dry.) So, once again, I'm fucked. PS: anyone remember my car? The one that this happened to? The one that did this to me? It is now trying to kill me, and I need to buy a new one.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
frown.gif

Bitten *********** again. You have been having some seriously rotten luck, which is awful...

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I am surprised that someone with such a sunny outlook in life has all this crap happen to them.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^sorry dood. sounds like my luck. had to sit out a semester due to scholarship/tuition issues years ago.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sucks.

Spend your time making money.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sucks they screwed you like that. FWIW, school endowment funds and foundations are under severe pressures now due to enormous losses in the markets. I've heard many are down 30-40% this year and there will be significant cutbacks in scholarships and endowed chairs in the next year(s).

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
I am surprised that someone with such a sunny outlook in life has all this crap happen to them.
You're an asshole.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan

That's a low blow.

Hope everything works out for you, Arethusa.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
It sucks they screwed you like that. FWIW, school endowment funds and foundations are under severe pressures now due to enormous losses in the markets. I've heard many are down 30-40% this year and there will be significant cutbacks in scholarships and endowed chairs in the next year(s).
Yeah, that's basically what happened here. It used to be one of the biggest community college endowments in the country by a very wide margin (and maybe it still is), but it hemorrhaged a lot.
Originally Posted by visionology
What happened to Uconn?
Nothing, but I declined there. It's not a bad school. In fact, it's a rather good public school. But it was my safety, and at 17 (they offered me no aid aside from mildly subsidised loans), it was really expensive. Bard covered 25/50 and offered another 5 in federal loans. It's also enormous, and I think Bard is much more the kind of place that would suit me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads