• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Well, I crashed my car

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guy in front of me stopped to turn. I braked, wheels locked in the rain and I slid right into him. His car looked reparable and we were both ok, but my 2000 Civic's totaled. I can't afford a new car and now I can't get to work. It's been a fun afternoon.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. No insurance?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It'll cover the other guy, but not me. Insurance to cover replacing my car would have cost more than the car was worth every year, and I guess that's only going to go up now.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
It'll cover the other guy, but not me. Insurance to cover replacing my car would have cost more than the car was worth every year, and I guess that's only going to go up now.

Not if you don't make any claims.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bummer. I feel for you dude.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fuckin' rain. Sorry to hear that Areth, sounds like one rough day.
frown.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ugh, that sucks. Maybe a cycle of some sort is an option? They are a lot cheaper than a car.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Ouch. Glad neither of you was hurt, though.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weren't you just a victim of identity theft? This hasn't been a good year for you. I hope things get better.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
weird car crash story: on July 9, 2004, I was in a bus going through an intersection in Weimar, Germany. A dutch long-haul trucker asleep at the wheel plowed into the right side of our bus and jack-knifed, pushing us into the embankment where we were abruptly stopped by a 200 year old wall. on July 9, 2005, I was driving my VW Golf through an intersection in Boston, enjoying my dunkin donuts iced coffee when a Toyota SUV crashed into the right side of my car, forcing me onto the island between two lanes, where I was stopped with a jolt by my axl ramming the curb. I wasn't wearing a seatbelt either time, and walked away unscathed both times. It was only while I sat by my totalled Golf waiting for the tow-truck that I looked down and realized that I was wearing the very same green t-shirt on both occasions. I still wear the shirt, but I never drive on July 9th. Dunno what this story is meant to mean for you Aretusa (or me for that matter), but I guess just be happy no one was hurt.
blush.gif

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Not if you don't make any claims.
Don't I have to? I mean, I hit someone. It has to be reported. Isn't that enough to increase my policy cost?
Originally Posted by GoSurface
Weren't you just a victim of identity theft? This hasn't been a good year for you. I hope things get better.
Last year, over the summer, my last car cracked a piston rod and was totaled in the middle of Iowa while I was trying to move to California for school. And there's worse. This past year has been a cavalcade of disasters.
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Where do you work?
At a market research startup. Don't think anyone here would have ever guessed that.
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
weird car crash story: on July 9, 2004, I was in a bus going through an intersection in Weimar, Germany. A dutch long-haul trucker asleep at the wheel plowed into the right side of our bus and jack-knifed, pushing us into the embankment where we were abruptly stopped by a 200 year old wall. on July 9, 2005, I was driving my VW Golf through an intersection in Boston, enjoying my dunkin donuts iced coffee when a Toyota SUV crashed into the right side of my car, forcing me onto the island between two lanes, where I was stopped with a jolt by my axl ramming the curb. I wasn't wearing a seatbelt either time, and walked away unscathed both times. It was only while I sat by my totalled Golf waiting for the tow-truck that I looked down and realized that I was wearing the very same green t-shirt on both occasions. I still wear the shirt, but I never drive on July 9th. Dunno what this story is meant to mean for you Aretusa (or me for that matter), but I guess just be happy no one was hurt.
blush.gif

I don't believe in luck, but I'm wondering if I should start. I appreciate the support, everyone. If anyone's in the Northeast and selling a Subaru in good condition for less than 5000, let me know or something.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Don't I have to? I mean, I hit someone. It has to be reported. Isn't that enough to increase my policy cost?

Under no-fault insurance rules here, the other driver's insurance will cover damages to his vehicle so if yours is not being repaired and you don't file a claim, it should have a negligible impact on your premiums.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We don't have no-fault insurance here. As far as I'm aware, that's very rare in the US.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads