• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Well, at least I didn't get raped

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Literally, anyway. Figuratively, pretty much did.​
Trip started off ok. Bit of New York I went through was alright, and Pennsylvania was bland and weirdly hickish (unlike the coastal area, which is just depressing post industrial), but nothing terrible. Ohio was another matter. Ohio is a terrible, terrible place. Depressingly post industrial and determined to turn out of state drivers into sources of revenue. Got my first speeding ticket for driving just as fast as I would during the day. Next few states weren't memorable, but nothing bad happened. Indiana was bland, but nothing bad. Illinois wasn't much fun around Chicago, but farther out, it's actually kind of pretty. Then I got to Iowa, and my engine cracked a piston rod. Spent the night stranded at a rest stop, then spent the day trying not to get fucked by the local Nissan dealership. By the end of the day, I'd run my mobile bill up $150 in overages, gotten a rental, and sold my car for scrap. Good times! Pushed on to Nebraska that night, which was pretty terrible, and fell asleep at a rest stop on the Colorado border. Drove into Colorado, which was quite beautiful in places, and pushed on through Utah (which was actually also beautiful in places), and made it as far as Arizona (which is most ******* not beautiful in any places). Then fell asleep at the side of a road somewhere in Arizona. Not sure why, exactly, I decided to take advice to see the grand canyon, especially after how terrible the trip had gone so far, but I did. Woke up, drove to the grand canyon, paid the $25 entrance fee, and was summarily unmoved by its majesty. Big brown hole in the ground was impressive, but not exactly pretty, and not worth the entrance fee or the money and time out of my way. Kept on through the rest of Arizona, where I discovered small town American on Route 66: the only place you'll find a depressed local economy completely dependant on $3.60/gallon gas. Turned right back around and got ****** back on I40. Kept on through the rest of the day, and closer to the California border, Arizona has apparently discovered sane gas prices and cell phones. From there, ignored speed limits into Barstow (where the drugs started to kick in), then did about the same and headed towards LA and into Orange County. And that was where I discovered that the person I was originally going to be staying with had apparently changed her mind, and I really can't stay here for very long without wondering if my stuff's going to get thrown out the window. So, I have a rental car, a speeding ticket for a car that no longer exists, and no place to stay for very long. Called basically everyone I knew, and the one guy I knew out here isn't really in a position to help me. A friend at Stanford said I could probably crash with him indefinitely, and I know one guy in LA that I might meet tomorrow. If Stanford/Palo Alto doesn't work out, I'm very seriously considering turning around and driving back to Connecticut, where I'll either try school there or finally join up (hoorah, etc). If I disappear again after today, well, more of the same. Ohio sucks. Internal combustion sucks. California sucks. 'Merica sucks.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy Crap

Earthmover

Reaction score
I would... watch out for your cornhole, bud.

Sorry to hear about your trip. It sucks that nothing went right. I don't know if it was the low expectations, but I found Bryce Canyon in Utah to be phenomenal; I've never been through Grand Canyon, and after what you said, probably will never go.

I hope it will get better; and if you do go to Palo Alto, drive up via Pacific Coast Highway (route 1). It'll make you feel better.

Bryce Canyon:
IMG_1674.sized.jpg

IMG_1680.sized.jpg

IMG_1687.sized.jpg

IMG_1703.sized.jpg

PCH:
IMG_1754.sized.jpg

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa

Ohio sucks. Internal combustion sucks. California sucks. 'Merica sucks.

Well, keep going. The Pacific is beautiful.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wow

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ouch. Ohio is sweet though (not Dayton).

mr_economy

Reaction score
Might I suggest a trip around Europe for your next big adventure? I found it far more interesting and exciting than either road trip I've made from here to the respective coasts. Granted Muir Woods is still one of my favorite places every visited, but aside from that the States simply do not compare.

Trilby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr_economy
Might I suggest a trip around Europe for your next big adventure? I found it far more interesting and exciting than either road trip I've made from here to the respective coasts. Granted Muir Woods is still one of my favorite places every visited, but aside from that the States simply do not compare.

I've done various road trips in western Europe and I haven't seen anything that compares to the drive up the Pacific Coast Highway in California (and then across the Golden Gate Bridge up to Muir Woods).

However, if you can bear getting in a car ever again, I highly recommend the drive around the Costa de la Luz (the Atlantic coast of Andalucia).

muelleran

Reaction score
From Lisbon to Perm
europe.gif
lisbon.gif
VfFR591646.jpg

Earthmover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trilby
I've done various road trips in western Europe and I haven't seen anything that compares to the drive up the Pacific Coast Highway in California (and then across the Golden Gate Bridge up to Muir Woods).

It's a minor nitpick, but I think driving south on PCH is actually far nicer than going north. For me, the best drive is South from Muir Woods down to Santa Monica. But going North is not too shabby at all.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, I appreciate the suggestion, but I wouldn't be in this mess if I had the money for that.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I mean, I appreciate the suggestion, but I wouldn't be in this mess if I had the money for that.

Well perhaps if you'd had your butler check the oil before your driver pulled the Bentley out of the Chateau, you would still have a car!

Oh well... I guess you'll just have to buy another car. Might I suggest a Maybach? I hear they have a champagne cooler in the back for just such emergencies.

CaptChaos

Reaction score
Man, that was a rough trip. I suggest you get some new shoes or a suit to console yourself.

mr_economy

Reaction score

Understood.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads