1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome Back!!!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cuffthis, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Michael66

Michael66 Active Member

I´m not here and on AAAC for too long (since January and just few weeks like registered member), but I don´t think AAAC is so bad .... and I´m VERY glad they both exist....

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

3. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

It is said that to assert dignity is to lose it.

Though I am not registered at AAAC, I admit that I lapse into Victorian diction now and again, especially if I am reading too much...

Regards,
    Huntsman

4. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Indeed, j, glad to see SF back online.

Regards,
    Huntsman

5. j

j Senior member Admin

I'm glad too - though I had nothing to do with it going down or coming back up this time. I only even knew it was down when Steve called me on Tuesday morning to tell me so. Apparently the database server blew a disk controller and lost the array (hard drives) that held the forum database, and yesterday when I called they were rebooting the server and "hoped the backup was good". Not very reassuring. So we may have lost some posts from just before the disk crash. I am now downloading a full backup of the forum and I will probably do so every day until we get it moved. To those of you forced to do actual work, I am truly sorry. I felt your pain yesterday. Once I realized I was powerless over the SF situation, I got a lot of stuff finished and cleared off my desk. Not to mention that the DSL was down at work most of the day yesterday. [​IMG]

6. ATM

ATM Senior member

Yes, I found that thread quite bizarre. It reminded me of that "People Like Us" documentary on PBS where the guy who really was an old money WASP had an aquaintance who asked him to teach him how to be a WASP. The title of the segment was "WASP Lessons". Â [​IMG]

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

With last name changed to a more Anglo-Saxon one? Jon.

8. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

(Mike C. @ June 02 2005,10:54) I suspect that some of the guys on there parading like WASPs are in fact, probably jews from the bronx  [​IMG] .
    RJman, formerly RJManischewitz

9. RJman

Let me venture that the SF is not _completely_ back until marc37 posts, hopefully about the proper diet.

Which reminds me, where's ernest been?

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(imageWIS @ June 02 2005,14:29)
    I suspect that some of the guys on there parading like WASPs are in fact, probably jews from the bronx [​IMG] .
    Heh. [​IMG] Jon. (The true sign that the forum is back: RJMan is making witty jokes)

11. PreppyBoy

PreppyBoy Well-Known Member

Welcome Back SF.

I read more than I post. However, I do agree with bry2000,
    in regards to the SF participants today from a year ago.

Back to my reading.......

12. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

(RJMan @ June 02 2005,17:31)
    I suspect that some of the guys on there parading like WASPs are in fact, probably jews from the bronx [​IMG] .

Heh. [​IMG] Jon. (The true sign that the forum is back: RJMan is making witty jokes)
    RJMan, The boy with the wit on his side. I too am glad for SF being back as I've never understood the whole wasp thing. On to important matters. j, where do we send money to you?

13. RJman

Thank you, thank you. To whom do I make out the check? Or did that come out sounding too AAAC?

I was having severe withdrawal cravings for the proper diet thread... can someone page Australian Mike/Ron and get him to post???

14. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

It's only three pages long, but trying to read that thread is like trying to read a phone book. Â [​IMG]

15. j

j Senior member Admin

(bch @ June 02 2005,09:47) Welcome back. Â I blame SF's absence for my unfortunate participation in the inane "WASP's have bad hair" thread over on AAAC.
    It's only three pages long, but trying to read that thread is like trying to read a phone book. Â [​IMG]
    I'm so glad I don't get the DTs enough to start reading everything over there. The thread title seems self-evident. What is there to discuss? BTW, totally tangentially related/OT, but my new hobby is tearing phone books. So WATCH YOURSELF. [​IMG]

16. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

[​IMG] Is there some kind of trick to it? You should just hang out in cafes, tearing their phone books in half. Anyone gives you any lip, light a match off their teeth.

17. Mr Checks

Mr Checks Senior member

RJMan wrote:
    No, the proper AA version is:

'To whom would one make out the check...."

18. j

j Senior member Admin

Yes, you do have to do it right or it's impossible. It's actually not that hard once you figure it out. The main thing, though, is the manly grunt required at the pivotal moment.

19. ATM

ATM Senior member

To whom do I make out the check? Â Or did that come out sounding too AAAC?
    No, the proper AA version is: 'To whom would one make out the check...."
    Or, "To whom shall I make out the cheque?"

20. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

(Mr Checks @ June 03 2005,00:52) RJMan wrote:
    No, the proper AA version is: 'To whom would one make out the check...."
    Or, "To whom shall I make out the cheque?"
    Oh, tut, tut. This is merely good diction, and one would be well advised to not mock the tenets of our language. Indeed, the pronoun 'one' ofers considerable facility, and it is only appropriate to use 'shall' with 'I.' Know that you have, My regards, Huntsman