• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weird white marks on new loafers -- ?

bluesdance

Reaction score
Hi there. I recently bought my first AE shoes, and my first loafers -- the made in Italy Rimini loafers that are currently 50% off. I have worn them once, only indoors, to dance (ballroom). They were quite comfortable and earned some compliments but now I'm noticing a weird mark in the front of each shoe. It is a horizontal white mark where the leather creased.

See image: http://db.tt/gWOH7n0

My question is -- what does this mean? Is this a normal part of wearing in a loafer, or is there something unusual going on here?

Thanks,
YH.

khaki sack

Reaction score
Is probably case of ,man-scent.

bigstar[1].gif

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like scuffed leather to me. Polish them and see what happens.

bluesdance

Reaction score
@KS: Not sure what that means... I was wearing socks.

@AIW: Will do, and report back. Based on the suggestions in Leffot's vid, I have Saphir Renouv and neutral polish; do you think neutral will be enough to handle this situation? Thanks

bluesdance

Reaction score
Thanks. I would hope the shoes are not CG; based on a previous discussion here, it seemed to be a consensus that shoes listed as "calf" on AE's site are not CG. http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...ategory=127607 I have not been polishing for long but as I noted I do have a collection of supplies and I have read the epic old post on SF about shoe care. I pretty much do the Leffot sequence from his video because it doesn't take real long. Thanks, YH.

IronRock

Reaction score
You were dancing right? Had a few drinks? Music getting to you on an emotional level? Yeah baby you know you were getting that feeling on the dance floor...

So in your dancing rapture you dragged your toes, one after another across the floor in a typical MJ manoeuvre and scuffed the toes. Bit of spit n polish'll do the trick.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...6QyJ2ht_Tmx9IQ

Icehawk

Reaction score
The focus is not in a position so we can see clearly but I'd think those are scuff marks from dragging your toe at some point - should buff out with polish for the most part depending on how deep into the leather you got. I have a pair of loafers I always need to be a little bit more careful with to keep from scuffing on the toe but they polish up fine even when I do.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You're definitely hitting the tips of your feet on something. Reno will work, but don't use neutral polish, use a color that is close to the color of the shoe.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The soles were McKay stitched on.
With some, your toes will "roll" over the front of the sole leaving no protection for the uppers.
That's what's causing the scuffing. Others may roll out to the side rather than the toe.
Treat the scuffed area with polish and keep an eye on it. If it continues to get worse bring your shoes to a local cobbler and ask them to put extended tips on them. That will extend the sole slightly while preventing the scuffing.

bluesdance

Reaction score
Whoa... McKay stitching. I googled that and got nothing. Still, it makes sense... what kind of price range are we talking about for extended tips? I can come visit your shop cuz I live in NYC

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluesdance
Whoa... McKay stitching. I googled that and got nothing. Still, it makes sense... what kind of price range are we talking about for extended tips? I can come visit your shop cuz I live in NYC

PMed

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads