1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  2. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Two Pairs of Grant Stone Boots, courtesy of Grant Stone

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction of the year is for two pairs of Grant Stone boots, courtesy of Grant Stone. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Weird question - Nice fitting scrubs?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TeeKay, Aug 18, 2010.

1. TeeKay

TeeKay Distinguished Member

So I doubt this gets asked too often...anyone have a heads up on some nice fitting medical scrubs?

2. VictorJB

VictorJB Well-Known Member

You get shit, blood, and guts all over them. Buy the cheapest ones you can find, forget finding fitted scrubs.

3. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Distinguished Member

tailor... take all the shirt and pant seams and sew in by an inch -> slimmer without ruining. No cutting makes it cheap too.

4. VictorJB

VictorJB Well-Known Member

Master-Classer and you agree with doing this to scrubs? I just dont see the sense in wasting money and saving that and going out and buying something else. Maybe, because Im not in the medical field but dont people ruin these quite frequently ??

5. hamish5178

hamish5178 Senior Member

Not everyone is a trauma surgeon. Some people wear scrubs and sit behind desks/clean teeth all day.

Also, they can be washed.

6. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Distinguished Member

tailor... take all the shirt and pant seams and sew in by an inch -> slimmer without ruining. No cutting makes it cheap too.

+1

As someone who meets regularly with docs and nurses, I can definitely say that those who take the trouble to tailor their utilitarian scrubs stand out from the crowd.

7. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior Member

I've met several doctors who tailor their scrubs

8. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Distinguished Member

I'm not in the field but just from having been in hospitals a few times, I don't generally see people's scrubs covered in biomaterials... like 90% of the people there are just various admin or even your average doctor who mostly just says "say ah" and makes some notes.

It never hurts to have clothes fit well, and in this case a pretty simple trim along all the seams can make the whole thing fit a lot better without taking a lot of time or energy (ie $). So IMO for $10-15, at least I can say I've made an attempt to make this look good. I do this for even my basics, like t-shirts. Costs me a few $, everything fits just a little better, and if I don't like it I can just undo 1 line and it's back to normal.

9. JPYPSU07

JPYPSU07 Senior Member

10. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Distinguished Member

Bespoke lab coats and MTM scrubs... I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but I kinda am...

11. TeeKay

You get shit, blood, and guts all over them. Buy the cheapest ones you can find, forget finding fitted scrubs.

I think you watch a little too much tv. [​IMG]

12. TeeKay

http://www.aetnashirt.com/medicalcoa...al_scrubs.html

I found this site a long time ago, you can get custom made white coats and scrubs to your measurements.

Awesome! I'm definitely going to check this site out! Thanks!

13. erdawe

erdawe Distinguished Member

I've happen to notice relatively well fitting scrubs on a few male health professionals come in contact. Pretty sure it was just how they were cut, along with being sized properly. Can't name a specific maker or anything. But, relatively trim cut with high-ish armhole isn't impossible if these people were wearing them. You may not need to tailor if you look around and know your size.

Just like cheap shirts you can buy some that fit in the shoulders and go from their, same with seat of pants slim leg if they look like pontoon pants. Of course, take it to your cheaply priced corner dry-cleaner, versus an expensive suit tailor. Not too much to worry here. They still should be somewhat loose enough to have full ranges of motion. I would not get scrubs tailored if the type of care you do would have any common contact with body fluids, especially highly hands-on bedside care jobs like nurses and nursing assistants. Would be ruined far too quickly to bother.

I do know about Dikies scrubs because they carry a logo on the sleeve. I've noticed they tend to fit like shit.

Hah, I'd love to pass someone in the halls one day with tailored scrub pants that were MC'ed out... all tailored slim and wide cuffs. Get a nicely freshly pressed crease down the leg. Would bring a few minutes lulz to my day. [​IMG]

14. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Distinguished Member

i've actually stolen scrubs from other hospitals when i see they fit better, but you can have them made easily. just get the prescribed color down find the fabric and find a tailor... I've had my white long coats MTM. the scrubs are very very easy to make, just get your favorite sized tshirt and bring it to the tailor for comparison.

but a lot of the time (especially in surgery) you'll end up wearing the hospital issue scrubs which are autoclaved daily (boiled in a pressure cooker at 121F for 25min) so they will disintegrate eventually... if thats the case... save your money and wear whats cheapest/free/provided.

15. wysiwyg

wysiwyg Senior Member

I think everybody is trolling everybody in this thread.