• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weird Facebook Encounters

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This week, I received a Friend request from a high school friend. He was a part of the crowd I ran in, but not a really tight friend. Haven't talked to him in about 15 years. So I accept the request and send him the usual, "How's life?" initial message. He replies, and asks me the same question. So next message, he asks me if he can "crash" at my house while he comes and "explores" where I now live.

Umm, no.

Anyone else have an odd FB encounter like this?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
This week, I received a Friend request from a high school friend. He was a part of the crowd I ran in, but not a really tight friend. Haven't talked to him in about 15 years. So I accept the request and send him the usual, "How's life?" initial message. He replies, and asks me the same question. So next message, he asks me if he can "crash" at my house while he comes and "explores" where I now live.

Umm, no.

Anyone else have an odd FB encounter like this?

FB suggest a new friend, no common friends, not same city, I slept with the chick before. Do they have a file on all of us somewhere!!?? Freaky.

needler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
FB suggest a new friend, no common friends, not same city, I slept with the chick before. Do they have a file on all of us somewhere!!?? Freaky.

Maybe it's based on her looking at your profile or something...

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I sat on a university committee in grad school with a professor for whom I had nothing but contempt. I think the only time we spoke to one another directly was when I was attacking his ideas. He probably couldn't even guess my name.

Somehow, Facebook has decided we should be friends, and it keeps suggesting him. We don't have any common friends, and he's in a different network - I'm in the university network, and he's in the university faculty network. He also teaches a subject that is vastly different from what I studied. Aside from people with common friends, he seems to be the only person from campus Facebook suggests. Very strange. It's like Facebook wants to broker some sort of peace. Either that or it wants to torture me by repeatedly showing me people I hate. What I don't understand is how it knows we know one another. I blame the NSA.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma

It's some freaky software.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What they should work on is a suggestion for chicks who will sleep with us easily.

armorarmylt

Reaction score
i got a message from a guy that i went to school with(for about 2 months) in africa asking me to send him a letter of invitation to get a visa...... i couldn't believe how casually he asked!

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a MySpace friend request from a guy I had gone to high school with who had since come out of the closet. I don't have my high school listed on my MySpace page, so he had to have searched for me by name.

Anyway, I agreed to meet him at a bar, and I had only figured out when I got there that this was a gay bar. We had a few drinks, then went back to his place and I watched him browse MySpace. Then I went home. I never heard from him again.

Back in high school he was a short fat runt who was shorter than me. Now he's something like 6'2 (and indeed, most of the guys at the gay bar seemed considerably taller than me.) He spoke with a pronounced lisp, and, in formulating a nickname, my braincase classmates ingeniously explotied a phonetic similarity between his last name and the word "gay". During our night out, he told me that he had a sexual encounter in high school with the hunky boy who worked with us as library assistants. I realized this was a jucier piece of gossip than anything I was ever privvy to when I was actually in high school.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In this case I'm the wierdo. I was trolling the confirmed guest list of some event I was considering going to. See cute chick. Click on profile and she is indeed cute and very ditsy. I have no clue who she is but I send her a friend request with the following message, " As you requested when we met I'm facebooking you. How are you?" Couple of days later we're "friends" now. Hopefully I'll have an amusing entry in the How we Roll thread. If she asks how or where we met, I'll say "I forget I must've been drunk but I had your name and a note from you on the back of my business card reminding me to friend you. Can I tap that? Time is of the essence!"

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
In this case I'm the wierdo. I was trolling the confirmed guest list of some event I was considering going to. See cute chick. Click on profile and she is indeed cute and very ditsy. I have no clue who she is but I send her a friend request with the following message, " As you requested when we met I'm facebooking you. How are you?" Couple of days later we're "friends" now. Hopefully I'll have an amusing entry in the How we Roll thread. If she asks how or where we met, I'll say "I forget I must've been drunk but I had your name and a note from you on the back of my business card reminding me to friend you. Can I tap that? Time is of the essence!"

You have a cute Facebook friend?

Well Conne has 600 of them, and you can see how much good it's done him!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ My point was she some random chick i've never met but I added her as a friend because she's cute and a ditz. I'll invite her out sometime and we'll see what will happen.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I got a MySpace friend request from a guy I had gone to high school with who had since come out of the closet. I don't have my high school listed on my MySpace page, so he had to have searched for me by name. Anyway, I agreed to meet him at a bar, and I had only figured out when I got there that this was a gay bar. We had a few drinks, then went back to his place and I watched him browse MySpace. Then I went home. I never heard from him again. Back in high school he was a short fat runt who was shorter than me. Now he's something like 6'2 (and indeed, most of the guys at the gay bar seemed considerably taller than me.) He spoke with a pronounced lisp, and, in formulating a nickname, my braincase classmates ingeniously explotied a phonetic similarity between his last name and the word "gay". During our night out, he told me that he had a sexual encounter in high school with the hunky boy who worked with us as library assistants. I realized this was a jucier piece of gossip than anything I was ever privvy to when I was actually in high school.
Did you come out to him?

stamp0102

Reaction score
got 2 good ones:

1) i work as a firefighter/emt and had a bad accident one day where a 19 local college student was killed. i was the first one to make contact with the victim and worked him the entire way to the hospital. it was a rough call as i was only 20 myself (ie. coulda been me in the car). about 2 years later, some girl messages me on facebook asking about the kid in the accident. turns out it was his sister and she wanted to know about his last moments. the lawsuits were all settled, etc. and she just wanted to know about the last few minutes of his life. i told her what i felt comfortable (legally and ethically). needless to say, it was awkward.

2) met a girl on a cruise in italy 2 years ago. stayed in touch and saw her a few times as she only lives about an hour from my parents house. about a year after i met her i noticed that her and one of my friends from college were having a wall to wall conversation. turns out they met each other on a trip to israel. they live about 3 hours apart and would never have met each other except for their trip together.

alexwgoody

Reaction score
I once got a request from some cougar in Austin, whom I'd never heard of, and one from Bespoke Norwich, some guy from London with an awesome name, but who I've never met.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads