Weightlifting increase shirt size?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by crtman, Jan 18, 2011.

1. crtman

crtman New Member

In general how much does a moderate amount of weight lifting increase shirt size starting from no muscle mass? Not body building or anything just going from a sedentary lifestyle to a decent amount of bulk. I've been redoing my clothing collection and don't want to buy too many smalls if that will go to a medium in half a year. I'm a 35-chest, 31 sleeve right now and the smalls have a bit of extra room in them.

Also, how does this apply to outerwear? I find that smalls in shirts have a bit of extra room for me, whereas outerwear fits just right. Are you always supposed to size up 1 for outerwear?

Thanks!

2. Harbin

Harbin Senior member

There is no general answer for this question...just work out and if your small shirt becomes too small, get a medium. Simple..

3. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Senior member

I would advise holding off on large ticket items, and stick with what works for now (basics). when you get to a level of mass you'd like to sustain, start buying clothes then. depending on how fast you grow, you may experience your shirt size increase from 1/2 a size to a full size, maybe even more.

4. stylenooob

stylenooob Well-Known Member

In general how much does a moderate amount of weight lifting increase shirt size starting from no muscle mass? Not body building or anything just going from a sedentary lifestyle to a decent amount of bulk. I've been redoing my clothing collection and don't want to buy too many smalls if that will go to a medium in half a year. I'm a 35-chest, 31 sleeve right now and the smalls have a bit of extra room in them.

Also, how does this apply to outerwear? I find that smalls in shirts have a bit of extra room for me, whereas outerwear fits just right. Are you always supposed to size up 1 for outerwear?

Thanks!

There is no one answer -- this is highly individualized question. "Moderate amount" can mean many different things. It depends a lot on your program, how diligently you stick with it, and how much muscle you already have. Most importantly, you can't add mass (muscle or fat) without eating more. So ultimately you control mass gain.

Probably best to start by asking what your goal is and how likely you are to achieve it.

5. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Senior member

With all due respect, your chest is so small that unless you plan on doing dedicated neck work, which is highly doubtful, you won't have anything to worry about unless you train for about 2 years under a pro trainer and nutritionist. Oh, and you will need to cycle steroids a few times, too.

6. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

LOL at somebody worrying about shirt sizing when having 35 inch chest.

7. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

He's probably just a young kid. His shirt size will change as he grows and hits puberty, not just from lifting weights.

-LR

8. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

I'd watch out for deadlifts, as they make your arms grow longer.

9. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

sorry was drunk when I poasted my poast

10. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Over 3 years I went from a small to a large, but of course the large still needs to be tailored at the waist.