• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weightlifting at Home?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Moved apartments nearly a year ago. Switched from a building with a full gym to one without a gym and don't want a membership. Therefore, considering setting up a [limited] home gym in my apartment bedroom. Right now I'm looking at a bench (something like this: http://www.amazon.com/TRION-Fitness-...389169&sr=1-6).

Haven't looked at weights much though someone told me to expect to pay a dollar per pound and I want to [eventually] get a range between 25 and 50 lbs. Kettle bells will be added to the mix as well.

Anything I need to know? I don't do power lifting, as I weightlift to tone up.

Don't worry about Cardio as I do my running/biking outside.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How come you don't want a membership?

I think the place by my Barneys in Friendship Heights is decent. Considering it might cost a few g's for a good home setup and sort of tie you down to your current place you might want to reconsider joining one....

touchthesky

Reaction score
The bigger fitness centric stores will sell you weights for like 60 cents a pound too, if I remember correctly.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont recommend working out at home.

unless your highly motivated it's tough to keep it up.
just doesn't have that same feeling.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How big is the apartment? Do you really want to have a bunch of workout equipment in your apartment instead of going to a gym?

Furthermore, at least in my experience, I always found it more difficult to get a full workout in when having equipment at home because you can be so nonchalant about lifting. When you actually make a trip to a gym, you're there for only one reason until you go home.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on your goals, its feasible. If you're interested in serious weightlifting, you're going to need a squat rack/cage, bench, and an oly bar with enough plates. If you buy all this stuff at retail you're already in the 1000$ range, plus the issues with getting it set up in your apartment.

If you're doing more conditioning/cardio stuff, I'd just get a few kettlebells and be done with it. A bench wouldn't hurt, but KBs would be your best option. Far more portable, too.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd just do weighted push-ups and save the money and space. Make some cheap parallettes to get that deep push-up. Mount a pull-up bar and call it a day.

If you are in it for "toning up," meaning you aren't interested in getting strong nor tons of muscular hypertrophy - then low body fat and diet are going to be more key than doing bench press.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically, if you're benching to "tone up," you'd be just as well served with weighted pushups, since they also hit the core (assuming you do the normal BP technique, not a PL bench). Those + chins + kettlebells and you should be decent.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
******* son of a
ffffuuuu.gif
, I really really really hate the phrase weightlift to tone up. That's like saying you want to cure constipation by getting a gay guy to **** you **********.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seriously, if people just said i want to lean out it'd be that much better. sounds like he just wants to do conditioning; you could do all kinds of awesome stuff only with kb's, and a dip/pullup bar. Off the top of my head...

pushups- weighted, incline, deficit
dips- high, low, leaning forward/back, weighted
pullups - narrow, wide, commando, chins, weighted
kb stuff - floor press, a million awesome ab exercises, cleans, snatches, press, all of these mixed together...

honestly i think investing 100% in kbs would be the best option. a bench would let you do pullovers, flies, etc etc. but like other people have mentioned you can smoke your chest by only doing weighted dips/pushups.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ 0:20

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads