• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weight Lost = New Wardrobe

The Muffin

Reaction score
Hey everyone, first of all I'm new to the forum. I recently lost about 80 lbs and have come to realize that all my dress clothes doesn't come close to fitting me. Now that I feel much better about my looks I want to take this opportunity to complete change my look and wardrobe. I usually wear polo shirts and jeans but I want to put that behind me.

On black Friday I picked up about 5 suits, mainly due to the sale prices. My problem is now I'm realizing how small I am. A 36 suit on me isn't exactly form fitting but smaller than that is either impossible to find or out of my budget.

My father just gave me pair of burgundy Ferragamo, I have never worn a shoe of that color and have no idea what it matches with. Ideas?

Also, I currently own one watch but would like to start collecting. Whats a good way to get started? I was thinking of buying a vintage watch.

Basically three questions:
1. How can I find suits for someone who is 5'6" 145lbs?
2. What will match with the Ferragamo and how can I restore them?
3. How can I start looking into buying vintage watches?

Thanks!

Ivar

Reaction score
Hi and welcome!

Buying five suits at the same time is rarely a good idea, and for a rank beginner to do so is basically tantamount to pouring money down the drain. Harsh words, but that's the way it is.

Size 34 suits are not that hard to come by. H&M, in particular, make excellent entry-level suits in that size.

The Muffin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivar
Hi and welcome!

Buying five suits at the same time is rarely a good idea, and for a rank beginner to do so is basically tantamount to pouring money down the drain. Harsh words, but that's the way it is.

Size 34 suits are not that hard to come by. H&M, in particular, make excellent entry-level suits in that size.

Thanks. I have worn suits before and brought someone along who I trust their opinion on the style. The sale was so good that all 5 suits came out to the price of 1 suit so I wasn't too worried.

I have never tried H&M, I will definitely look into it now.

pdial

Reaction score
Slow.
Down.

Find out what you want to wear, what clothes you look good , what doesn't work for you, and most importantly what fits you properly. If you don't you will end up with a closet full of clothes that you don't necessarily like because you bought them all on sale. Don't get in a rush to "catch up" with your skinnier you.

MTLGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Muffin
Thanks. I have worn suits before and brought someone along who I trust their opinion on the style. The sale was so good that all 5 suits came out to the price of 1 suit so I wasn't too worried.

I have never tried H&M, I will definitely look into it now.

Five suits for the price of one??
eh.gif

Never forget - quality over quantity.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
congrats on the weight loss.

how long have you kept this weight off?
Is your method sustainable?
If not, give it time and see what happens before really investing in an expensive wardrobe.

AlmostFullBenefits

Reaction score
Hey everyone, first of all I'm new to the forum. I recently lost about 80 lbs and have come to realize that all my dress clothes doesn't come close to fitting me. Now that I feel much better about my looks I want to take this opportunity to complete change my look and wardrobe. I usually wear polo shirts and jeans but I want to put that behind me.

On black Friday I picked up about 5 suits, mainly due to the sale prices. My problem is now I'm realizing how small I am. A 36 suit on me isn't exactly form fitting but smaller than that is either impossible to find or out of my budget.

My father just gave me pair of burgundy Ferragamo, I have never worn a shoe of that color and have no idea what it matches with. Ideas?

Also, I currently own one watch but would like to start collecting. Whats a good way to get started? I was thinking of buying a vintage watch.

Basically three questions:
1. How can I find suits for someone who is 5'6" 145lbs?
2. What will match with the Ferragamo and how can I restore them?
3. How can I start looking into buying vintage watches?

Thanks!

Here are my suggestions:

1) Return the suits you bought. A RTW suit that doesn't fit your shoulders isn't worth keeping. Here's a quick and dirty link to get started if you are unaware of how a suit should fit.

2) Know your measurements. Get measured if necessary. If you know this, you're better prepared to pick out your own suits/clothes without the help of a salesperson. If you don't, you'll find yourself at the mercy of a salesperson, who's competency you always assume is lacking until proven otherwise.

3) Be patient. Buy 1 suit at a time. I would start with a navy, either in a solid or a very faint pattern (windowpane or pinstripe). Buy 100% wool (some people could argue a 5% PA or something helps, but given all variables, sticking to 100% wool for now is the safest bet). Navy should go well with the burgundy Ferragamos.

4) Consider getting a bespoke suit made. Maybe not for your first, but if you have a difficult to buy-for body size, it might be best to make the move to bespoke clothing early. There is a wealth of knowledge in the contained collective minds of seasoned posters here that will benefit you greatly, if you take time to do searches and ask questions.

And don't mind them if they seem rude at first. It's just the internet, it's the same everywhere you go.

The Muffin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdial
Slow.
Down.

Find out what you want to wear, what clothes you look good , what doesn't work for you, and most importantly what fits you properly. If you don't you will end up with a closet full of clothes that you don't necessarily like because you bought them all on sale. Don't get in a rush to "catch up" with your skinnier you.

I got suits I like. 1 black, 2 navy and 2 grey. I just want to learn how I can aaccompany them properly. I know how to pick out a decent to an extent but I'm horrible with matching ties, shirts and shoes. Thats my problem area.
Originally Posted by MTLGuy
Five suits for the price of one??
eh.gif

Never forget - quality over quantity.

They were'nt exactly poor quality. Maybe not what everyone on the board wears though. Alfani, Lauren, Calvin Klein.
Originally Posted by antirabbit
congrats on the weight loss.

how long have you kept this weight off?
Is your method sustainable?
If not, give it time and see what happens before really investing in an expensive wardrobe.

Thank you. its been about 10 months. I have lost weight before and know exactly what you mean of making sure to keep it off. I currently compete in triathlons and have changed my lifestyle instead of being on a diet.
Originally Posted by AlmostFullBenefits
Here are my suggestions:

1) Return the suits you bought. A RTW suit that doesn't fit your shoulders isn't worth keeping. Here's a quick and dirty link to get started if you are unaware of how a suit should fit.

2) Know your measurements. Get measured if necessary. If you know this, you're better prepared to pick out your own suits/clothes without the help of a salesperson. If you don't, you'll find yourself at the mercy of a salesperson, who's competency you always assume is lacking until proven otherwise.

3) Be patient. Buy 1 suit at a time. I would start with a navy, either in a solid or a very faint pattern (windowpane or pinstripe). Buy 100% wool (some people could argue a 5% PA or something helps, but given all variables, sticking to 100% wool for now is the safest bet). Navy should go well with the burgundy Ferragamos.

4) Consider getting a bespoke suit made. Maybe not for your first, but if you have a difficult to buy-for body size, it might be best to make the move to bespoke clothing early. There is a wealth of knowledge in the contained collective minds of seasoned posters here that will benefit you greatly, if you take time to do searches and ask questions.

And don't mind them if they seem rude at first. It's just the internet, it's the same everywhere you go.

RTW?

I knew my measurements up until I lost the weight. I was about a 42R with a 16" 32-33 shirt

Thank you, the navy with burgundy was the answer I needed. I got one navy with a faint pinstripe. Looks great.

Honestly, Ive thought about getting a bespoke suit made just wasnt sure on the price.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got suits I like. 1 black, 2 navy and 2 grey. I just want to learn how I can aaccompany them properly. I know how to pick out a decent to an extent but I'm horrible with matching ties, shirts and shoes. Thats my problem area.

They were'nt exactly poor quality. Maybe not what everyone on the board wears though. Alfani, Lauren, Calvin Klein.

Thank you. its been about 10 months. I have lost weight before and know exactly what you mean of making sure to keep it off. I currently compete in triathlons and have changed my lifestyle instead of being on a diet.

RTW?

I knew my measurements up until I lost the weight. I was about a 42R with a 16" 32-33 shirt

Thank you, the navy with burgundy was the answer I needed. I got one navy with a faint pinstripe. Looks great.

Honestly, Ive thought about getting a bespoke suit made just wasnt sure on the price.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

at 5'6" there is NO FRIGGIN way you are a size Regular in suits. So that calls into serious question your self-reported "ability" to judge fit.

Lauren, CK are the exact definition of Poor quality.

Go ahead and do what you want. You seem to want validation for what you DID instead of suggestions to change.

come back again when you are ready. Do let us know where you dispose of those five high quality suits though.

The Muffin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
at 5'6" there is NO FRIGGIN way you are a size Regular in suits. So that calls into serious question your self-reported "ability" to judge fit.

Lauren, CK are the exact definition of Poor quality.

Go ahead and do what you want. You seem to want validation for what you DID instead of suggestions to change.

come back again when you are ready. Do let us know where you dispose of those five high quality suits though.

I was extremely overweight/obese Short would not fit me correctly because of how my weight was distributed. Am I that the level everyone here is on? Of course not, but do I understand at least the basics? More than most my age.

I honestly had no idea they were considered "Poor quality".

I want no validation, I wanted advice and I wanted to learn.

I never said they were high quality but they're not terrible either. They were a bargain and I need something to wear. A couple months back I picked up about 4 pairs of pants. Perry Ellis, which I'm going to assume isn't that good either?

pnin22

Reaction score
This discussion would be more meaningful were we given the opportunity to see how any of these suits fit on you.

The Muffin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pnin22
This discussion would be more meaningful were we given the opportunity to see how any of these suits fit on you.

Ah yes, very true. Only one has been taken to the tailor. As soon as I get home I'll take a picture.

The Muffin

Reaction score
So imagine my situation, I went from a 40-42 waist to a 28-29 waist. I haven't been this weight since about the 3rd grade.

WoolPants

Reaction score
So imagine my situation, I went from a 40-42 waist to a 28-29 waist. I haven't been this weight since about the 3rd grade.

wow.gif

Congrats on the weight loss.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads