• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weight Lost = New Wardrobe

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Congrats on the weight loss. I have done the "big loss" thing myself (70lbs) and it is pretty cool, I still go up and down about 20lbs on a two year cycle, but never gotten close to my top weight again.

The suits you bought aren't great, but they will do. For a short guy like you I would stick with 2 button suits and maybe a 3 button 3 roll. I am not a fan of pinstripes, as they are kind of limiting and can be harder to match a shirt/tie. You also shouldn't wear pinstripes for anything but buisness wear (ie not to a wedding, the opera etc). You really do need a solid suit, navy or charcoal would be best.

saiyar1

Reaction score
Hey Muffin, (ok that just sounds inappropriate
facepalm.gif
)

First of all, having lurked around here for a while, these guys don't mean to be rude, even if it seems like they are. Let's start over. Do read this whole post since I think I can give some good guidance.

FIRST THINGS FIRST:

- Can you put on a white dress shirt, tie, the dress shoes you got, and take a picture in each of the four suits?

- Not sure what sale you found, but buying 5 suits at once is probably a bit much. In general, most will agree it's better to go slow and really buy something you love. Funny thing is... you won't realize it NOW if you don't love them but it will happen shortly when you spot something better.

WHY THEY ARE "LOW" QUALITY:

- Those suits are fine for almost everyone. However, for the clothes enthusiasts here they obviously won't do. It's like going to ask a semi-professional pianist what a good quality instrument to learn on is. He'll get flustered when you show him a middle of the road vertical piano instead of a Steinway Bros. grand piano... he's got the ear and experience for it.

3) In my experience (which ends up being EVERYONE's experience if they even become the slightest bit of a clothes enthusiast), you will slowly have opportunities to purchase nicer and nicer clothes and eventually realize looking back that you have become much more sophisticated in terms of attention to detail, construction quality, and fit.

MAKING WHAT YOU HAVE WORK:

- If you must, keep a navy and a dark grey max (assuming they all fit just as well on you).

- The burgundy goes with navy no question. It could work with grey but it depends. We need pics.

- Pick up some decent ties. What's decent? Look for something preferably made in the USA, 100% silk only. More importantly, when you feel it make sure it's not super thin and shiny. Get the ones that are thicker silk and with darker, conservative colors with very subtle or solid pattern. It will make dressing easier for someone who has trouble coordinating. Get 1) maroon (complementing the shoes but not exact match), 2) dark red, 3) dark blue.

- Get a burgundy colored belt. It must match shoes... the leathers you wear must always be the same.

- Since you're a beginner, just wear white shirts. Since you are much slimmer now (I'm going to get KILLED here for saying this), go to Express and buy yourself some plain white dress shirts. They have a slim fit (the "modern fit" version or even "fitted" if needed) and are cheap. Sign up for their email newsletter and you get a 15% coupon which brings them to about $25 each since they're 40% off now.

LOOKING AHEAD:

- One advantage you have now is your size when it comes to higher quality European makers. If you begin to enjoy clothes, you'll see that they make suits with higher armholes, trimmer waists, a higher drop (i.e. - smaller waisted pants), slimmer pants, and better shoulder construction.

- The common person often thinks he needs to be able to workout in the suit and tries waving their arms or trying to "raise the roof" in their jacket. You don't do those things in a suit... EVER. So what you'll come to find out is that what initially felt waaaay too tight is later on really your perfect size. (hence why people keep saying your "tastes" will change)

*** One thing I do believe is that EVERYONE has to go through this evolution on their own. We are just trying to help you through it asap with the LEAST amount spent along the way.

While these recommendations are not SF approved, I think they are a hell of a lot better at getting you from A to B than letting you wander from A to D to F to M to D to T to eventually B.

Wow.... that was way to long. Sticky this and hope the next person reads it!!!

celeste_pista

Reaction score
muffin - the reson you are getting so much criticism is most of us have been in your position before. The story goes...one discovers clothing...an overzealous entree results in a closet full of hasty purchases that, a year later, won't do because the fit/fabric/style/construction/etc is just not good enough. Then one tries to get rid of it and unless you donate it to goodwill, it is guaranteed to be a dissapointing, money losing, time consuming venture (at least with goodwill you avoid the dissapoinment and time sinks).

While hard to accept, no matter how good the 'deal" is, items that do not fit or are poorly constructed turn out to be WORTHLESS.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketprotector
Or you could just be happy with your 5 for 1 deal, be happy that you lost weight, and have several suits that you can bang around in without fear of damaging. It's your money, man, and not a ton of it by the sound of things. I'd be stoked, too.

I've lost 60 pounds myself (25 more to go) and I know the sheer joy of just being able to fit into decent clothes for once and check out your reflection as you walk past windows.

As for "growing into" things...one thing for sure is this: after wearing all these, you'll definitely know how much you like/dislike the look on you. You will either have thrown a little money away or you will have gotten the deal of your life. Sounds like you're willing to take the chance. Bravo.

Only one question: are you sure about all the pinstripes and buttons?

no you idiots. that goes against the notion of StyleForvm. You see those people with thousand of post count posting, they probably have spent enough money on clothes to buy a car, so when they speak, take notice!. By spending enough money, they have gained experience as to what is right, and what is not, and they can save you money by not buying the wrong suit i.e. a fashion suit.

If you want to continue along your ignorant ways, fine, but this is not the place to ask for advice.

WoolPants

Reaction score
The truth is. You can fix anyone of these suits to look SHARP (like a razor blade) by simply going to a good tailor.

Hem pants to very little to no break.
Slim the pant legs.
Make sure the Shoulders are perfect (most important thing)
Take in the side of the jackets
Shorten arms if necessary
Slim the arms

Rathbone

Reaction score
As someone who was in a very similar position and has gone through this process, first things first: congratulations! I'd lost around a hundred pounds (and gained about twenty back over my "extended holiday", working on slimming way back down), and i've never felt better. Especially now that i feel so much more comfortable in nicer clothing.

I won't suggest that you take all of your clothes back (you can no doubt have them altered and end up with something that looks reasonably sharp), but i will advise you to slow down! I was a little overzealous in the early days and having a job that required, if not a suit, then a nice shirt and slacks, simply bought up whatever i thought i needed. Now i have a closet filled with ill-fitting pants and jackets and i end up mixing and matching a lot of the same clothing week-in, week-out.

At the same time, i'm glad for it, because it's given me the opportunity to really refine my tastes. What i thought i liked at the time, i don't like quite so much now. So, while it cost me at the time it ended up helping in the long run.

Finally, LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE. They might seem rude and confrontational and blah blah blah, but it's foolish to assume they don't know what they're talking about.

Also, and i might be in the minority here but as tempting as it is to buy up a lot of neat accessories and **** i would focus on the essentials. Maybe another pair of shoes, a nice collection of socks in a variety of colors and styles, some ties, etc. A sweater, since it happens to be that season. Suits are not the end all of fashion, and a larger, perhaps eclectic selection of clothing to choose from gets a lot of life out of what would otherwise be a few simple suits.

celeste_pista

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WoolPants
The truth is. You can fix anyone of these suits to look SHARP (like a razor blade) by simply going to a good tailor.

Slim the pant legs.
Slim the arms

but this much time, effort, & $$$ on alterations is not worth it for mid-level suits.

and i'd ask do you want to look sharp (which to me has a merrill broker sleazy connotation to it
devil.gif
) or do you want to look well dressed
bigstar[1].gif
?

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LOL. Not happening with those suits. Who the hell is going to spend a few hundred dollars tailoring a suit that should be donated to goodwill.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by celeste_pista
but this much time, effort, & $$$ on alterations is not worth it for mid-level suits.

and i'd ask do you want to look sharp (which to me has a merrill broker sleazy connotation to it
devil.gif
bigstar[1].gif
?

Not even. more like garbage level.

R-H

Reaction score
OP, you should reward yourself with a few nice items. Take that other cheap stuff back and reward yourself with nice suit.

The Muffin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay
If you want to experiment to develop your style, that is great. However, you already know 36R is too big for you, so why buy 5 suits that are too big for you? You should return two or three of these suits because you will not want them in a few months when you figure out how a suit is supposed to look/fit on you. Since you put all that effort into losing weight, you should show off your trim figure with a well fitting suit. You will also want to only buy two-button suits because they will make you appear taller, which you will want to do since you are 5'6".

Since your job doesn't require a suit, you only need two suits in case you have two interviews with the same firm. If you get a job that requires suits everyday (I'm guessing they will pay you more), then buy more good suits.

I've been trying on the suits to show a few people and theyre all telling me Im being too harsh on me and I fit fine. I even measured myself Im right at 36.
I didnt know about the two buttons making me look taller. That helps alot.
The position I will most likely be taking in January will actually be a equal or lower income and even relocating.

Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
Ugly is ugly, and those suits are ugly. Take it however you will, they don't even look half decent in the pictures that you've posted. I can just imagine what they would look on you. Take what other senior members have said, return them while you can. Remember quality over quantity. You will look extremely well in one good suit as opposed to look like **** in 5 different suits
Whats a good suit?
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
Congrats on the weight loss. I have done the "big loss" thing myself (70lbs) and it is pretty cool, I still go up and down about 20lbs on a two year cycle, but never gotten close to my top weight again.

The suits you bought aren't great, but they will do. For a short guy like you I would stick with 2 button suits and maybe a 3 button 3 roll. I am not a fan of pinstripes, as they are kind of limiting and can be harder to match a shirt/tie. You also shouldn't wear pinstripes for anything but buisness wear (ie not to a wedding, the opera etc). You really do need a solid suit, navy or charcoal would be best.

Thanks. Whats a 3 roll?
I hadnt thought about a solid suit for events like that.
Originally Posted by saiyar1
Hey Muffin, (ok that just sounds inappropriate
facepalm.gif
)

First of all, having lurked around here for a while, these guys don't mean to be rude, even if it seems like they are. Let's start over. Do read this whole post since I think I can give some good guidance.

FIRST THINGS FIRST:

- Can you put on a white dress shirt, tie, the dress shoes you got, and take a picture in each of the four suits?

- Not sure what sale you found, but buying 5 suits at once is probably a bit much. In general, most will agree it's better to go slow and really buy something you love. Funny thing is... you won't realize it NOW if you don't love them but it will happen shortly when you spot something better.

WHY THEY ARE "LOW" QUALITY:

- Those suits are fine for almost everyone. However, for the clothes enthusiasts here they obviously won't do. It's like going to ask a semi-professional pianist what a good quality instrument to learn on is. He'll get flustered when you show him a middle of the road vertical piano instead of a Steinway Bros. grand piano... he's got the ear and experience for it.

3) In my experience (which ends up being EVERYONE's experience if they even become the slightest bit of a clothes enthusiast), you will slowly have opportunities to purchase nicer and nicer clothes and eventually realize looking back that you have become much more sophisticated in terms of attention to detail, construction quality, and fit.

MAKING WHAT YOU HAVE WORK:

- If you must, keep a navy and a dark grey max (assuming they all fit just as well on you).

- The burgundy goes with navy no question. It could work with grey but it depends. We need pics.

- Pick up some decent ties. What's decent? Look for something preferably made in the USA, 100% silk only. More importantly, when you feel it make sure it's not super thin and shiny. Get the ones that are thicker silk and with darker, conservative colors with very subtle or solid pattern. It will make dressing easier for someone who has trouble coordinating. Get 1) maroon (complementing the shoes but not exact match), 2) dark red, 3) dark blue.

- Get a burgundy colored belt. It must match shoes... the leathers you wear must always be the same.

- Since you're a beginner, just wear white shirts. Since you are much slimmer now (I'm going to get KILLED here for saying this), go to Express and buy yourself some plain white dress shirts. They have a slim fit (the "modern fit" version or even "fitted" if needed) and are cheap. Sign up for their email newsletter and you get a 15% coupon which brings them to about $25 each since they're 40% off now.

LOOKING AHEAD:

- One advantage you have now is your size when it comes to higher quality European makers. If you begin to enjoy clothes, you'll see that they make suits with higher armholes, trimmer waists, a higher drop (i.e. - smaller waisted pants), slimmer pants, and better shoulder construction.

- The common person often thinks he needs to be able to workout in the suit and tries waving their arms or trying to "raise the roof" in their jacket. You don't do those things in a suit... EVER. So what you'll come to find out is that what initially felt waaaay too tight is later on really your perfect size. (hence why people keep saying your "tastes" will change)

*** One thing I do believe is that EVERYONE has to go through this evolution on their own. We are just trying to help you through it asap with the LEAST amount spent along the way.

While these recommendations are not SF approved, I think they are a hell of a lot better at getting you from A to B than letting you wander from A to D to F to M to D to T to eventually B.

Wow.... that was way to long. Sticky this and hope the next person reads it!!!

Im working on the picture now. Havent been able to.I know I will learn eventually but I went from having 5 suits to none as they are all 40-42.
I know Ill eventually develop an eye for it like I have with other things but I havent yet.

The burgundy with navy helps alot. Thanks. I currently own about 20-22 ties so I think I'm ok for now.
I havent thought about the burgundy belt I need to get that ASAP.
Express? Really? Never purchased there and wasnt exactly planning on doing it.

Thank you for your advice, I really want to have some experience with European suits. I only own one from Italy and its a 42 so its a bit big.
muffin - the reson you are getting so much criticism is most of us have been in your position before. The story goes...one discovers clothing...an overzealous entree results in a closet full of hasty purchases that, a year later, won't do because the fit/fabric/style/construction/etc is just not good enough. Then one tries to get rid of it and unless you donate it to goodwill, it is guaranteed to be a dissapointing, money losing, time consuming venture (at least with goodwill you avoid the dissapoinment and time sinks).

While hard to accept, no matter how good the 'deal" is, items that do not fit or are poorly constructed turn out to be WORTHLESS.

I completely understand and agree that I dont want to regret the purchases.

Originally Posted by Insensitive
I've got to ask...

What kind of man refers to himself as The Muffin?!?

Signed,

Insensitive

Old nickname

Slim the pant legs.
Slim the arms

I have a great tailor who can help with that. Thanks.
Originally Posted by Rathbone
As someone who was in a very similar position and has gone through this process, first things first: congratulations! I'd lost around a hundred pounds (and gained about twenty back over my "extended holiday", working on slimming way back down), and i've never felt better. Especially now that i feel so much more comfortable in nicer clothing.

I won't suggest that you take all of your clothes back (you can no doubt have them altered and end up with something that looks reasonably sharp), but i will advise you to slow down! I was a little overzealous in the early days and having a job that required, if not a suit, then a nice shirt and slacks, simply bought up whatever i thought i needed. Now i have a closet filled with ill-fitting pants and jackets and i end up mixing and matching a lot of the same clothing week-in, week-out.

At the same time, i'm glad for it, because it's given me the opportunity to really refine my tastes. What i thought i liked at the time, i don't like quite so much now. So, while it cost me at the time it ended up helping in the long run.

Finally, LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE. They might seem rude and confrontational and blah blah blah, but it's foolish to assume they don't know what they're talking about.

Also, and i might be in the minority here but as tempting as it is to buy up a lot of neat accessories and **** i would focus on the essentials. Maybe another pair of shoes, a nice collection of socks in a variety of colors and styles, some ties, etc. A sweater, since it happens to be that season. Suits are not the end all of fashion, and a larger, perhaps eclectic selection of clothing to choose from gets a lot of life out of what would otherwise be a few simple suits.

I completely trust everyone's advice here. I know I might need to learn from my mistakes. I do need some accessories, like right now those ferragamos are the only decent pair of shoes I have. The other ones are just embarrasing like a pair of bostonians or nuun bush
facepalm.gif

devil.gif
bigstar[1].gif
?

Sleazy broker during the week and well dressed on the weekend?

Originally Posted by R-H
OP, you should reward yourself with a few nice items. Take that other cheap stuff back and reward yourself with nice suit.
What are some nice items?

R-H

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Muffin
What are some nice items?

A suit. Buy one good quality suit and go from there

The Muffin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by R-H
A suit. Buy one good quality suit and go from there

What constitutes a good suit? If I knew, I wouldn't have bought these.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads