• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weight loss workouts?

aspriel

Reaction score
I got the first part down: Cut calories.

The second part is of course... exercise.

But what? I definitely favor the 30 minute workout, as I generally have a bunch of stuff to do. Anyone want to give me 30 minute workout guidelines that will help me lose weight?

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re. the calories . . . you may want to cut back on your carb. intake. Shortly after I did, my weight maintained itself, with less effort. At dinner, don't eat any bread . . . even that, will help.

As far as exercise, my 'take off a pound or two' workout, includes plenty of kick boxing. I strap fifteen pound weights to my ankles, and kick away! Twenty minutes of kick boxing, mixed with moderate lifting, is what works best for me.

SartorialSheepdog

Reaction score
As long as you are in reasonable shape to begin with and can handle hard work, you should sprint.

Rest twice as long as each sprint interval. Maybe do 30 second sprints.

I prefer 400 yds, 1 minute on, 2 minutes off roughly. 10 of these works quite well.

You won't find a much better way of loosing fat than sprinting, short of liposuction.

Sprint. Rest. Sprint.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Aerobic Benefits of Sprinting"

HIT Cardio - High Intensity Training
What if I told you how to lose all your unwanted bodyfat in just two short weeks with little or no effort?

Well, dream on, buddy. It ain't gonna happen. Losing bodyfat takes work. There are no shortcuts or magic pills (yet). But I will let you in on an effective way to lose bodyfat without turning into some automaton that sits on a stationary bicycle for hours on end daydreaming about the things it would rather be doing. . . .

The Tabata Method - Thrusters
(generally the same idea with different exercises)

Rolo

Reaction score
You might want to check out Core Performance Essentials (adapted for everyday use).

Combined with a lot of time on the rowing machine, it's worked pretty well for me. It's a program designed for folks who only have 30-40 minutes a day to dedicate to working out.

http://www.amazon.com/Core-Performan...e=UTF8&s=books

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
30 minutes of steady-state low-intensity cardio will do a world of good. Running is king, but anything that gets your heart rate up will do. Move the legs every day and remember, low intensity is key. Here's why: You'll be doing this every day and have to recover so tomorrow you aren't burnt-out or injured.

Also, run in the morning - your metabolic rate rises with your heart rate but doesn't come down nearly as fast.

As you go a few weeks, you'll either want to run faster or longer. Both are good things and indicative that your body is successfully adapting to your new workload. Good luck

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
running up the steps in my apartment building did a pretty good job for me.

123 stairs x 5. Takes me about 20 mins, paid off pretty well.

Reflection

Reaction score
Pilates works for me. It's simple, it's fun and it doesn't take much time.
smile.gif

And the results really ARE seen after a week or so.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
As long as you are in reasonable shape to begin with and can handle hard work, you should sprint.

Rest twice as long as each sprint interval. Maybe do 30 second sprints.

I prefer 400 yds, 1 minute on, 2 minutes off roughly. 10 of these works quite well.

You won't find a much better way of loosing fat than sprinting, short of liposuction.

Sprint. Rest. Sprint.
Sprinting is great cardio and certainly will whip your butt into shape, but as someone else stated, lower-intensity (than simply sprinting) workouts for a prolonged period are generally better for burning fat.

http://www.lifescript.com/channels/d...eight_loss.asp

Try riding the fitness bike for 40-50 minutes or running on the treadmill at around 6 mph for 45 minutes or so. You will definitely notice the difference in a few weeks.

SartorialSheepdog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
Sprinting is great cardio and certainly will whip your butt into shape, but as someone else stated, lower-intensity (than simply sprinting) workouts for a prolonged period are generally better for burning fat.

http://www.lifescript.com/channels/d...eight_loss.asp

Try riding the fitness bike for 40-50 minutes or running on the treadmill at around 6 mph for 45 minutes or so. You will definitely notice the difference in a few weeks.

Please never take cardio advice from a website that has a headline "How to get a tighter tush"

As the article said excessive eating was possibly the reason for the difference.

Low-intensity cardio is easier and will help shed fat. But, for those of you that have run a non-competitive marathon, remember all the fat people that finished it...even a guy in a gorilla suit ran (though I heard he was in bad shape after downing a couple mimosas mid-race) the last one I entered. It's quite easy to do low intensity cardio and be fat and stay fat. I would only recommend low intensity cardio to someone so out of shape that they could not do high intensity.

Rarely do you see a fat person run 8 timed 400s.

Sprinting is harder and more difficult but fat loss is dramatic and muscle mass is usually better preserved. I will never do low-intensity cardio for my summer slim-down again.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright - I'm 5'11, 195, trying to shed 20 pounds. I have a relatively big frame, 17.5 neck, so I'm not really a tiny person one way or another. I weighed 185 for about 6 years, and though I was slightly out of shape then.. now I feel fat.

I bought an elliptical machine and was hitting it for 40 minutes a day on level 3. Planned on bumping that to 45, slowly building to an hour.

What would you recommend, if possible, utilizing the elliptical?

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Please never take cardio advice from a website that has a headline "How to get a tighter tush"
Hah hah. I didn't even notice that it was a women's site.......I just typed in "low intensity" and "weight loss" and pasted the first link I saw so it wouldn't seem like I wasn't completely blowing things out of ******. Either way, I did not say you should not do sprints, I was merely suggesting that a good way to burn fat is through low intensity exercise over a prolonged period; by low intensity I mean anything less intense than sprinting, however, I do not mean a brisk walk. Running a 9-minute mile for 5 miles is a pretty damn good workout and that is "low intensity".

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion on this, but I would be very discouraged if I had to try to spend an hour pounding that treadmill or pumping that elliptical trainer. I would sure get one that required some arm involvement in the workout.

In addition to the links I posted earlier, you might find this one interesting:
Smart Cardio for Strength, Mass, and Fat Loss

There are lots of studies about the benefits of increasing the intensity of the exercises. Sure, the recent report of the benefits of the 10,000 steps idea show that all exercise has merit. However, if you want to get more bang for your minutes, there are lots indications that you should try to work harder for less time. Some info on that can be found here: Never Do Aerobics Again!

Something else that could be interesting as a change up is the Heavy Hands power walking program.

SartorialSheepdog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
Alright - I'm 5'11, 195, trying to shed 20 pounds. I have a relatively big frame, 17.5 neck, so I'm not really a tiny person one way or another. I weighed 185 for about 6 years, and though I was slightly out of shape then.. now I feel fat.

I bought an elliptical machine and was hitting it for 40 minutes a day on level 3. Planned on bumping that to 45, slowly building to an hour.

What would you recommend, if possible, utilizing the elliptical?

I vary things a bit but when I use an elliptical I typically like doing a 20 minute session consisting of 10 sets, each set being 30 seconds balls out as hard as you can go, with the next 1.5 minutes being a low-medium intensity pace. Try it and see what you think.

mizanation

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SartorialSheepdog
I vary things a bit but when I use an elliptical I typically like doing a 20 minute session consisting of 10 sets, each set being 30 seconds balls out as hard as you can go, with the next 1.5 minutes being a low-medium intensity pace. Try it and see what you think.

yeah, definitely doing 20 minutes with 30 second sprints is better (and less boring) than doing 45+ minutes of medium pace cardio.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads