• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weight loss, dressing in "transition"

bvbellomo

Reaction score
I've always minimized purchases while losing weight - toss 2 of the largest pairs of pants that look silly with a belt and replace with 1 cheaper pair I can barely fit in. With more money and higher expectations, you'd buy more, more quality and better fit, but the same logic applies - get to a sustained weight before spending significant money.

Contrary to what others say, I don't think there is a huge difference in clothing between super-shredded and slightly overweight, especially for more muscular people - much less than between slightly overweight and moderately obese. My waist is 37 inches now (measured, not vanity sized) and I could lose a few pounds. If I were super shredded, it would still be 36 inches - you'd see a lot more muscle definition, but unless you are a superhero, you aren't buying shirts so tight you can see ab muscles.

SChudley

Reaction score
One suggestion...as my wife and I are undergoing massive weight loses - don’t be afraid to shop in thrift stores. We have actually picked up many higher end pieces at pennies on the dollar...for example I picked up a BB 1818 suit hardly worn (I know this would not classify as “higher end” but it still is a fairly decent quality suit...don’t roast me!) for $13 cdn. I have to spend about $40 on tailoring and I have a great suit for ~$55. If the clothes fit for a year or less then become too large...we don’t feel bad flipping the pieces. Think cost per wear! Personally I would steer clear from the bespoke or even the MTM idea until you have maintained for at least a year plus. Just my 2 cents! And congrats on the weight loss!!

aelred

Reaction score
You know, the thrift store honestly hadn't occurred to me. Getting into "normal" sizes gives me so much flexibility, and I'm still stuck in a different mentality.

BTW, closing in on the 110# mark now...

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift stores FTW!

I am an old guy who has taken up long distance hiking, BJJ and a new way of eating over the past few years. I am still not sure where I will level off, so even though I have thousands of new Brooks Brothers items on hand I am hesitant to use any of them myself.

papa kot

Reaction score
Having gone your route, I can tell you a few things I wish I had known.

First of all, figure out what is your end goal. For me, the initial goal was to go from 215lbs to 185lbs. I achieved the goal, but it was not realistic. The weight was too little for my frame and the desired active lifestyle. In the end, I saw 185lbs on the scale only for a few month before going back up.

Secondly, absolutely no pricey purchases until your weight stabilizes. I have $1000++ in clothing items that are now too tight for me. Most of my clothes come from micro-brands, so it is hard to resell them at an acceptable price (and loss) unless I constantly relist on eBay. Example: brand new Incotex are now listed at less than $100 at a local consignment shop that will take 45%. Somebody will get a killer deal on my pants...

Thirdly, do not get rid of the clothing you "will not ever need again." As I started losing weight, I gave away a few well-broken-in RRL jeans and many other things. Now that I am back to the original weight, more on that later, I miss them. I was smart enough to resist the urge to purge my sport coats.

Fourthly, extreme weight loss and crash diets won't hold. You have a certain DNA makeup that dictates how your body works. If you lose 100lbs and do not do anything about the weight thereafter, you'll end up gaining most of the weight back. For me, the weight loss was a bit transitional as I intended to become more active and gain muscle later. Now I am back at about 207lbs with a totally different body composition, none of the clothing that I owned prior to my transformation or before it fits, so back to the stores again...

Finally, if your weight tends to fluctuate, stick with the clothing items that can give you some room for small-to-moderate error. Now wardrobe consists of the following:

- Warm weather stuff is mostly polos, t-shirts and other non-structured tops that can tolerate up 5-10lbs of fluctuation. Bottoms: chinos and pants that I can take in or let out.

- Cold weather items include anything that a tailor can alter. I own very few shirts and mostly get away with knitwear. Most of my shirts have some room for movement, and I layer accordingly.

As for the shoes, I noticed a difference of about 1 size in width as measured by my experience with Alden lasts. My rules are as follows: buy only shoes with laces and err on the larger size. You can always use thicker socks or tighten the laces. Any shoe that does not allow for an adjustment is out.

Joefitz

Reaction score
Ebay! Never buy new stuff until your weight is stabilizes.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
Having gone your route, I can tell you a few things I wish I had known.

First of all, figure out what is your end goal. For me, the initial goal was to go from 215lbs to 185lbs. I achieved the goal, but it was not realistic. The weight was too little for my frame and the desired active lifestyle. In the end, I saw 185lbs on the scale only for a few month before going back up.

Secondly, absolutely no pricey purchases until your weight stabilizes. I have $1000++ in clothing items that are now too tight for me. Most of my clothes come from micro-brands, so it is hard to resell them at an acceptable price (and loss) unless I constantly relist on eBay. Example: brand new Incotex are now listed at less than $100 at a local consignment shop that will take 45%. Somebody will get a killer deal on my pants...

Thirdly, do not get rid of the clothing you "will not ever need again." As I started losing weight, I gave away a few well-broken-in RRL jeans and many other things. Now that I am back to the original weight, more on that later, I miss them. I was smart enough to resist the urge to purge my sport coats.

Fourthly, extreme weight loss and crash diets won't hold. You have a certain DNA makeup that dictates how your body works. If you lose 100lbs and do not do anything about the weight thereafter, you'll end up gaining most of the weight back. For me, the weight loss was a bit transitional as I intended to become more active and gain muscle later. Now I am back at about 207lbs with a totally different body composition, none of the clothing that I owned prior to my transformation or before it fits, so back to the stores again...

Finally, if your weight tends to fluctuate, stick with the clothing items that can give you some room for small-to-moderate error. Now wardrobe consists of the following:

- Warm weather stuff is mostly polos, t-shirts and other non-structured tops that can tolerate up 5-10lbs of fluctuation. Bottoms: chinos and pants that I can take in or let out.

- Cold weather items include anything that a tailor can alter. I own very few shirts and mostly get away with knitwear. Most of my shirts have some room for movement, and I layer accordingly.

As for the shoes, I noticed a difference of about 1 size in width as measured by my experience with Alden lasts. My rules are as follows: buy only shoes with laces and err on the larger size. You can always use thicker socks or tighten the laces. Any shoe that does not allow for an adjustment is out.

Sorry but I do strongly disagree with you. I did 210 to 160 in a couple years and also got very active at the gym. You don't gain back the weight if you respect your calories daily intake. If you loose weight and then start eating the same as before you are ofc going to gain the weight back. In this case you are not building a wardrobe for weight loss but you are building a wardrobe for weight loss / gain / loss / gain / loss / gain ...

To me discarding my wardrobe was a game changer. I did buy a lot of nice stuff when I stabilized my weight. Everytime my pants feel a little tight, I know that I have been eating too much at mcdonalds ( :D ) and that I need to be careful about eating more healthy food. I tend to take weight very quick so I am just careful about it. Not a big deal.

papa kot

Reaction score
Sorry but I do strongly disagree with you. I did 210 to 160 in a couple years and also got very active at the gym. You don't gain back the weight if you respect your calories daily intake.

Everything depends on your end goal. Your weight is nothing but a number. If you want to see a lower number on the scale, then stick to a diet and you should be all set. However, there is danger there: if you focus only on the diet, you may go from a large body that is out of shape to a skinny body of a rather odd appearance. Think narrow shoulders, no chest or back muscles, skinny arms and legs, a bit of fat around the belly. Not a good sight.

If you want to look athletic, then you'll have to lose extra padding and get some muscle mass, the good weight. In process your body geometry will change. The transformation will affect your wardrobe one way or another. And you're right, there is some loss-gain-loss-gain going until you can figure out where you want to end up. At some point you may be changing your extra roomy shirt for slim fit only to realize that the armholes are too high and tight for your lats in three months.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
Actually I do agree with you on that. Doing a diet and building muscle is two ways to destroy your wardrobe. If you plan on loosing weight and then building some muscle, you should wait before buying expensive cloth. It took me about 3 years to go from a skinny fat build to a more slim athletic build. I bought a few trousers that I finally gave to charity. Don't loose weight, buy new cloth and build muscle mass after ... it can not end well for you wallet.

JBad28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eBay or Grailed, can find so many nice pieces for cheap. You can still look good while losing weight, you don't have to shop at Walmart/Thrift stores (there are nice pieces at thrift stores though, if you have good ones around).

Also, utilize your tailor, especially for T-Shirts or even jeans.

smbc

Reaction score
one thing that can mitigate having problems when you lose weight is to weight train and bulk up the shoulders.

the pants are a different story, but they are usually much cheaper than jacket (i.e. suit separates) and alot cheaper to take in..................

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exercise encourages your brain to work at optimum capacity by stimulating nerve cells to multiply, strengthening their interconnections and protecting them from damage.

nerve cells don’t multiply. Do your homework.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads