• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

weight gainers

brap

Reaction score
hey i've been working out for about 7 weeks now, 3 times a week, i've been taking protein supplements (whey protein) twice a day (2 scoops each). BUT i've not gained weight nor have i seen the results i wanted to. I was talking to a friend who told me to add to my diet a weight gainer. Anyone have an affordable suggestion and is this a good idea?

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seven weeks isn't very long. Have you seen any improvements in strength, power, or endurance? What was your caloric intake before you began training? What is your caloric intake now?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How much are you eating besides the protein? Your calorie intake needs to exceed calories used for you to gain weight. Clearly this isn't the case.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I'm thinking about it, here is the Harris Benedict equation (for men).

66.473 + (13.7515 * weight) + (5.0033 * height) - (6.755*age)

Use kilograms, centimeters, and years. This equation outputs your caloric intake necessary for base metabolism (it is used in hospitals to determine how much to feed you while you are stuck in bed). I use this equation for planning purposes because it is better than random guessing. There are estimates out there for calories used in various activities, so you can add x number of calories to make up for y minutes of z activity. Chart your body weight and caloric intake, and you'll see the trends over time and be able to adjust caloric intake up or down to meet your body weight goals.

G79

Reaction score
3 days a week , and u dont see benifits because its only 3 days a week ! You need to push it up to 5 days a week and kick up the intensity levels to build muscle mass. Try getting 2 work outs per week for the muscle group and like 'Milhouse' said, you could use the eq for calculating ur requirments and see if ur intake is enough.
all the best
GK

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by G79
3 days a week , and u dont see benifits because its only 3 days a week ! You need to push it up to 5 days a week and kick up the intensity levels to build muscle mass. Try getting 2 work outs per week for the muscle group and like 'Milhouse' said, you could use the eq for calculating ur requirments and see if ur intake is enough. all the best GK
That's absolutely untrue and potentially counterproductive advice. There are many workouts that induce large amounts of hypertrophy with 3 days a week of lifting, including HST. Overtraining is one of the worst things a beginner can do. He should be gaining weight with even a rudimentary workout in seven weeks if his nutrition is set up correctly, which it clearly is not.

kapay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
That's absolutely untrue and potentially counterproductive advice. There are many workouts that induce large amounts of hypertrophy with 3 days a week of lifting, including HST. Overtraining is one of the worst things a beginner can do. He should be gaining weight with even a rudimentary workout in seven weeks if his nutrition is set up correctly, which it clearly is not.
Correct. That statement was untrue. If he wants to gain weight, he need to increase the # of meals not the # of workouts. Split your day up into 5-7 meals a day. Start with four meals. Personally, I did/do it every four hours starting at 8 a.m. (8:00, 12:00. 4:00, 8:00) Then every three hours (8:00, 11:00, 2:00, 5:00, 8:00). Now that doesn't mean eating dinner sized portions every meal. Eat slightly smaller portions with breakfast obviously being the largest one further preventing you from overeating the rest of the day. And finally watch just what kinds of food you eat. Depending on your body type, you may need to watch your food more than others but since you're looking to gain weight, I'm assuming you're an ectomorph and can pretty much eat anything w/out gaining weight. There are many "diets" and formulas that are supposed to be the best way to to gain muscle and weight. Find one that works for you or just eat healthier and more often. You're skinny, you can laugh at everyone else who actually has to count calories. As far as workouts go, it's been said compound exercises work well for beginners. Look it up.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the diet I've been following recently with excellent results. I've been able to gain muscle weight while keeping my body fat low. Energy level on this meal plan has also been great.

Meal 1:
7egg whites, 1 whole egg scrambled in a nonstick pan.
2 slices of high fiber, whole grain toast.
12 oz non-fat milk

Meal 2:
Light yogurt
Large piece of fruit

Meal 3:
I cup of instant oatmeal microwaved in 8 oz of non-fat milk

Meal 4:
2 baked skinless, boneless chicken breast
Large mixed green salad

Meal 5: pre-workout
1 cup of high protein, whole grain pasta
4 oz of lean ground turkey
1 cup of streamed broccoli

Meal 6: post workout
EAS Myoplex protein shake

G79

Reaction score
I apologise if my advice was incorrect, its personally worked for me and hence I generalized. All th best with ur routines.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meal 2 would be better with some liquid protein. Beyond that, the plan sounds worth following.

Another thing to consider is nutrient levels. Low vitamin D levels, for example, can make it hard to gain muscle mass. For your reading pleasure.

tbabes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
Here's the diet I've been following recently with excellent results. I've been able to gain muscle weight while keeping my body fat low. Energy level on this meal plan has also been great.

Meal 1:
7egg whites, 1 whole egg scrambled in a nonstick pan.
2 slices of high fiber, whole grain toast.
12 oz non-fat milk

Meal 2:
Light yogurt
Large piece of fruit

Meal 3:
I cup of instant oatmeal microwaved in 8 oz of non-fat milk

Meal 4:
2 baked skinless, boneless chicken breast
Large mixed green salad

Meal 5: pre-workout
1 cup of high protein, whole grain pasta
4 oz of lean ground turkey
1 cup of streamed broccoli

Meal 6: post workout
EAS Myoplex protein shake

How many calories does this represent? Doesn't look like very much....

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tbabes
How many calories does this represent? Doesn't look like very much....

It's approximately 1,800 calories, but I'm a small guy 5'5" 125 pounds. I really helps me to stay lean.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL 1800. I have to eat 3,000 just to maintain. Cut on 2,500 or so..

Then again my friend cuts on 3,000 and needs 3,500 or a tad bit more to maintain. Bulking sucks for him.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
It's approximately 1,800 calories, but I'm a small guy 5'5" 125 pounds. I really helps me to stay lean.

How the hell can you bulk on a 1800 calories diet if you maintain an active lifestyle outside the weightroom?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I couldn't maintain on 1800 if I was in a coma.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics