• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

weight gain vs clothes size

stinger70

Reaction score
Im 6'1 and was 135lbs, in 2 weeks ive got up to 138lb, i've set out a pretty good diet plan to eat more regularly and better foods, and intend to reach 160lb eventually. Im doing mainly push ups because i want the weight on my chest and shoulders mostly. What i want to know is will that extra 25lb change my clothes size? I currently wear a small in almost everything. Will i need a medium at 160, because it doesnt seem like a lot of gain when spread over your body but at the same time it has to go somewhere so im wondering if i should buy new clothes at a medium?
eh.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stinger70
Im 6'1 and was 135lbs, in 2 weeks ive got up to 138lb, i've set out a pretty good diet plan to eat more regularly and better foods, and intend to reach 160lb eventually. Im doing mainly push ups because i want the weight on my chest and shoulders mostly. What i want to know is will that extra 25lb change my clothes size? I currently wear a small in almost everything. Will i need a medium at 160, because it doesnt seem like a lot of gain when spread over your body but at the same time it has to go somewhere so im wondering if i should buy new clothes at a medium?
eh.gif

At 135lbs and 6'1 you can still wear small, it will just look much better because you'll fill out. Right now I'm guessing that you look extremely thin and kind of mangy. You will look much healthier at 160lbs and much better too. Your clothes will be more fitted. I wouldn't go to medium.

300zx1985

Reaction score
6'1 and 160? You will definately be past the small....

darnelled

Reaction score
If you are 6'1, don't small sizes look too short on you?

I'm 6'2 and 185lbs wearing large or large-tall shirts.

You're not going to get very far by doing push-ups. Your body needs gradual, increasing loads (higher weight lifted) in order for exercise to present enough of a challenge to make muscles grow.

You are also gonna need to change your diet quite a bit to allow enough fuel for the wanted growth.

stinger70

Reaction score
My diet is changing from eating nothing all day and then eating big evening meals, to eating 4 times a day with a good spread of foods and snacking on nuts and raisins etc...adds up to roughly 3000 calories per day. Im not desperate to be muscular, just have a bit more bulk. From what ive read, i can just do push ups while they are hard, and then add weight to my back when they become too easy. small sizes dont generally look too short on me, some things do but then i just dont buy them. Some of my clothes seem to be made for people my size and are spot on size and length wise. I just want to put on enough to look a bit more healthy and make people notice ive grown a bit, but definitely retain the slim look.

hastur

Reaction score
You aren't going to gain 25lbs of lean mass doing pushups and situps. If you want to put on that kind of weight you're going to have to join a gym =)

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awaiting thread in 3 months where op complains he is too fat

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eh.gif

Depends on the brand, but 160 is a bit shy from medium for most american brands. small will still look better

Petrus1

Reaction score
eh.gif

You will need a larger size and in fact at 6'1" you should be wearing a large even if you're slim (I'm assuming your're fully grown and not 20) Even if you weigh the same at 40 as you did at 20 you will still wear a larger size because your bones will just be bigger.
An overweight man when he loses 20-30 lbs loses the weight from around the middle and almost nothing from the chest so he can still wear the same size sportcoat(of course I'm not talking about some 300 pounder whose arms are fat and has man boobs)

Monaco

Reaction score
you should be fine, if anything you'll look better. I'm 6ft 166 and most of my clothes are small, some more of the premium brands fit more slimmer so you'll go up from there but you'll be ok man.

stinger70

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Petrus1
You will need a larger size and in fact at 6'1" you should be wearing a large even if you're slim (I'm assuming your're fully grown and not 20) Even if you weigh the same at 40 as you did at 20 you will still wear a larger size because your bones will just be bigger.
An overweight man when he loses 20-30 lbs loses the weight from around the middle and almost nothing from the chest so he can still wear the same size sportcoat(of course I'm not talking about some 300 pounder whose arms are fat and has man boobs)

wtf? So tall people should automatically buy a size large with a 44" chest regardless of their actual measurements? No. You wear clothing that fits regardless of the size on the label, and for me thats almost always a small.

freeAgent

Reaction score
It's hard for me to imagine what 6'1" and 135 pounds looks like, but I'm thinking it's concentration camp-like. I'm 6' and around 170lbs (I almost never weigh myself, I just make sure I don't get flabby). Medium-sized shirts usually fit pretty well. If I want a tighter fit, I could probably go with small. At that point I'd probably look either like a hipster or homosexual, though.

iampeter

Reaction score
what brands are you currently buying? i am 5'7 130lbs and on small sizes i have difficulty getting sleeves that are long enough(on slim fit styles). I can't imagine you at 6'1 and wearing smalls with those arms.

i dont really fit into my shirts since i have no mass so gaining an upper body would help me :p

stinger70

Reaction score
lol never had a problem with sleeve length really. Recently bought a NDG knit size small which has an 18" p2p and sleeves are perfect length for me and so is the body. Who else could fit something with those proportions
eh.gif
most higher end clothes are made for tall thin people.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads