• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weekend in Philly - suggestions?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ It took a thread on Philly to get you out of your SF exile. Good to see you around here.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duveen
So painful that Wayne is gone. I have several pairs of shoes, a shearling and other treasures from the good old days.

I believe that Wayne will be back when the economy improves.

Boyd's and Govberg's parted ways, so the watch collection on the first floor is no more. There is a lot of boring clothing at Boyd's, but there are also more interesting pieces. It just takes looking.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duveen
Other places to check near Old City are:

Sarcone's at 9th and Christian, best hoagie in the city, IMO.

Tria Wine Bar - half price beer, wine and cheese all day Sundays (called 'Sunday School)

Dinic's Roast Pork sandwich in the center hall of Reading Terminal Market

Greek - high end - Kanella at 10th and Spruce, pricy but good
Greek - cheap - South Street Souvlaki at 5th and South

I've had South Street Souvlaki and wasn't the least bit impressed, though it is the best place in a very weak souvlaki town. Kanella is very good, though.

+1 on Tria. Excellent craft beer selection (more of a reason to go than their wines-by-the-glass, if you ask me).

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If just going for drinks, I highly suggest the Franklin Mortgage and Investment Company over Southwark (which is also excellent), unless, unless, unless, you are an aficionado of American Rye of Gin, of which Southwark has a stunning selection. Southwark is a restaurant with a superb bar/barstaff. The Franklin is a serious cocktailian bar.

I'm not in Philly too often, so if I am eating I am usually eating seriously, but I can rec Monk's for an excellent restaurant/beer bar -- they have one of the country's best beer selections. If you like Vietnamese food, Vietnam on the East side of 11th is excellent (mind you, there is another Vietnamese place on the West side of the street which is not nearly as good. East is to your right when you are headed up the one way). Village Whisky is another great choice -- their pickled vegetables of any stripe are also quite yummy.

~ H

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
Better make reservations ASAP if you want to get into some of the more popular Restaurant Week places.
Lacroix for restaurant week is the best dining deal I have ever had hands down. I paid $100 for a very similar meal on V-Day at the same restaurant. Lee How Fook is not great. The other suggestions listed are quite good--the Italian Market around Paesano's are quite fun, too.

bburkava

Reaction score
Places to eat in Old City:
Amada - Spanish tapas from Jose Garces (Iron Chef)
Zahav - Israeli tapas - best hummus you've ever tasted - you can get a 4 course meal for $38 I think, and the food is excellent

Cheesesteak - If you want a couple of places that are a little off the radar, I'd recommend John's Roast Pork (easily my favorite in the city), or Jim's on South St.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads