1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Weekend in Montreal

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by HotlantaHoward, Dec 8, 2010.

1. leftover_salmon

leftover_salmon Senior member

That wasn't a ranking, just a list of five.

2. latkaguy

latkaguy Well-Known Member

3. pstoller

pstoller Senior member

I would eat at the following places in Montreal:

1. Schwartz's
    2. Au Pied du Cochon
    3. Ferreira
    4. Le Mas des Oliviers
    5. Milos

That said, I haven't ever eaten at Toque or Europea...I don't think Montreal does that type of haute cuisine well. The lone exception was Anise, which is unfortunately now closed.

Is L'Exotique still in business? I haven't been to Montreal for @15 years, but my one dining experience there was memorable.

4. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

The crowd is going to be a bit diverse. We have two guys who are still in school (one in law school, one in undergrad) who are both getting married this year as well so they have little money to spend. A few of us are at six figures or close to it, and two guys are shitty paid school teachers. [​IMG]

Some guys wouldn't mind spending something in the 4 digits while others would cringe at spending over $400 either because they simply can't afford it or are cheap.

Good luck to your budget conscious freinds. It is expensive as shit. I suppose it comes down to what you do while you are there. We went with the typical drink morning to night, bars and strip clubs. Our meals were typically on the cheap. We also stayed there on the cheap. I highly recommend checking out:

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/canada/quebec#a322

We had two apartments (2 bedroom) that were phenomenal. The nice thing about apartments is there is a lot of room to pack people in and you have all the benefits of home-full kitchen, living room, etc. It came out to $75 each.

We did splurge on one dinner where we went to Globe. Surprised it has not been mentioned. Has a very Hollywood trendy feel to it. A lot of famous people eat their when they are in town. The food was great. Expect to pay $100 each minimum.

Even with saving some money with the apartment, having booze at the apartment and meals it was crazy expensive. I would say plan on $500-$600 minimum a day. It adds up very quickly.

5. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

it's been a few years, but imo toque was far superior to europea. au pied de cochon ranks up there as well.

while not a great value, or best restaurant, queue de cheval can be a good choice for a bachelor party.

6. leftover_salmon

leftover_salmon Senior member

Is L'Exotique still in business? I haven't been to Montreal for @15 years, but my one dining experience there was memorable.

Was that the place on Laurier that served stuff like ostrich and zebra? If so, it's been closed for about 10 years, I believe.

7. pstoller

pstoller Senior member

Was that the place on Laurier that served stuff like ostrich and zebra? If so, it's been closed for about 10 years, I believe.

Probably the same place. It was cuisine of Madagascar.

8. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I'm going to Montreal this coming long weekend for Jazz Fest. I'll be staying at the Sofitel. I would appreciate any suggestions for touristy things to do (other than taking in the jazz, of course) for a first-time visitor. Thanks!

9. SField

SField Senior member

I'm going to Montreal this coming long weekend for Jazz Fest. I'll be staying at the Sofitel. I would appreciate any suggestions for touristy things to do (other than taking in the jazz, of course) for a first-time visitor. Thanks!

Across the street is an amazing store called Giorgio's. You're near Peel so check that out. Have lunch and breakfast in the courtyard garden in the Ritz (more or less across the street.)

Spend a lot of your time in old port. I'd say for someone older and more into culture, exit the sofitel, cross the street, then walk west. A ton of art galleries, boutiques, and a museum or two. East of that is pretty shitty and pointless. In fact most of Sherbrooke east of McGill is useless if you're a bit older. That changes if you go south or north, I was never a big Plateau fan but if you like East Village (is that the right equivalent?) maybe check it out. But yeah, mostly Old Port and Montreal West.

10. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Across the street is an amazing store called Giorgio's. You're near Peel so check that out. Have lunch and breakfast in the courtyard garden in the Ritz (more or less across the street.)

Spend a lot of your time in old port. I'd say for someone older and more into culture, exit the sofitel, cross the street, then walk west. A ton of art galleries, boutiques, and a museum or two. East of that is pretty shitty and pointless. In fact most of Sherbrooke east of McGill is useless if you're a bit older. That changes if you go south or north, I was never a big Plateau fan but if you like East Village (is that the right equivalent?) maybe check it out. But yeah, mostly Old Port and Montreal West.

Thanks for the recommendations.

11. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

Need a recommendation for a good hotel over Thanksgiving weekend in October. Requirements are:

- Downtown near all the good bars/restaurants/shopping, Rue St-Catherine etc.
    - 'Romantic', i.e. jacuzzi in the room and not a friggin Best Western. Boutique hotel is a plus.
    - Nothing that will break the bank (i.e. under $250 a night, if they have a gov't rate even better)

I haven't been to Montreal in years, and when I did it was like 10 of us crashing in some dive hotel room, all we were there to do was drink. Now I'm trying to romance a lady for the weekend.

Added bonus if its near some classy strip clubs too (she's a bit kinky).

12. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

How about the W.....
    Don't think they have jacuzzi's but she will dig it!

13. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

Thanks for the recommendation...that's a pretty nice looking place (good location too).

14. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

heading out to MTL next week with some co workers (young designers) and looking for inspiration. Any suggestions on retail, galleries, off the beaten path type stuff ? Staying at the omni, but will be mobile. Thanks!

15. highfalutin

highfalutin Senior member

I am also headed to Montreal next month. Should I bring my Verizon phone from the US or just plan to be unreachable? Never been to Canada before and I don't want to be charged extra for international use.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  16. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Why not phone your office/home from the hotel. Most hotels have some voicemail system. It might be cheaper to phone from the hotel than using an out of country cell.

C

17. Nil

Nil Senior member

You're going to get charged for international use. Plan accordingly

18. highfalutin

highfalutin Senior member

Good to know. I wasn't sure if that would happen or not.

19. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

You do know Canada isn't in the U.S. right?

You could start a rebtel account. You get charged for international calls but on a steep discount to market rates.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  20. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

The W is nice, but expensive. I like Hotel St. Paul as well. You can get pretty decent rates on a jr. suite. Montreal has a ton of boutique hotels though. There's also the Vogue, and another one that's also got a really nice restaurant that i can't remember right now.