• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weekend in Boston - Food & Shopping Recommendations?

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be travelling to Boston for a weekend and was wondering if anyone had any Food and Shopping Recommendations for me.

I'm not looking for anything super fancy like places to get Bespoke Shirts and Suits. Just good shopping places. Maybe some discount bargain places, equivalent to Century 21 in NYC.

Cheers!

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few years ago Filene's Basement (the original FB) in Downtown Crossing closed up shop to make way for a mixed use space in its location. This was in my opinion the best place to shop as they had the inside track on most of the post sale overflow from stores like Barneys, Wilkes, Mario's, Mr Sid, and Louis. Since this location shuttered and subsequent other FB stores have closed the discount opportunities here in Boston have died.

There are still the usual suspects at full retail like Neiman's, Saks, Barney's, and Louis in Boston. The 1st three are all in Copley/Prudential mall right in Back Bay with Louis being on the waterfront by the ICA. Newbury St is a good walk with Ralph Lauren, Scoop (never been) and Stel's. Take the redline to Cambridge adn you have Gary who owns Drinkwater's (close to Porter Red Line stop) and Andover Shop (Harvard stop). If you are coming from NY I wouldn't get too excited but if you are from somewhere that doesn't have some of the higher end stores listed above you can hit them all relatively quickly.

There are tons of great food options in Boston, Cambridge and Somerville too. I can offer some suggestions if you tell me what you want and where you are staying. Notables include Craigie on Main, The Hungry Mother, Butcher Shop, Hamersley's, Island Creek Oyster Bar, Neptune Oyster, etc. Many good places for beer bars as well: Deep Ellum, Redbone's, Lower Depths, Mead Hall, Bukowski's.

Forgot to mention Bobby From Boston - you need to go here. Vintage men's clothing without absurd prices. He has been written up in Esquire and has been doing this for years.

http://www.selectism.com/news/2011/03/28/bobby-from-boston-shop/

Last edited:

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated :)

Looks like I'm going to make most of my time on food and sight-seeing. Being that I have access to the same designer stores back home and also discount stores.

I will definitely check Bobby From Boston, looks real neat!

I plan on updating this thread in the coming days with a general list of places I plan on visiting/eating.

drewtronius

Reaction score
I agree with pscolari - Bobby from Boston is a must ... As far as food, the North End is the Italian end of the city, over 100 restaurants within say 6 blocks and very close to Downtown/Faneuil Hall ... Other shopping destinations I would say Newbury St. as well, hit up Stel's and Rescue ... Then again you could always venture off the beaten track and come visit Bodega, close in proximity to Newbury St. / Copley ...

Hope you enjoy your time in Boston!

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oleana in Cambridge is worth looking into. Terrific.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pscolari, do you have any good recs for North End. I have heard of too many terrible Italian places there and have no desire to sort through the worthwhile ones. I've also not heard anyone who has decent taste in food recommend anything there.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pscolari, do you have any good recs for North End. I have heard of too many terrible Italian places there and have no desire to sort through the worthwhile ones. I've also not heard anyone who has decent taste in food recommend anything there.

Every time I try to eat in the N. End it has been a shitshow, especially at Neptune. The one place I would pass along to check out is Carmen but haven't been there. I have heard from a few different people who I trust that this is the best restaurant there. My wife and I tend to avoid N. End for some reason. I think it is the fact we always pick the most inopportune times to try to eat there. We stopped going there once Sage moved from N. End to S. End ( fwiw - the S. End space is now The Gallows as it was too big for their britces). That was one of our favorites.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Every time I try to eat in the N. End it has been a shitshow, especially at Neptune. The one place I would pass along to check out is Carmen but haven't been there. I have heard from a few different people who I trust that this is the best restaurant there. My wife and I tend to avoid N. End for some reason. I think it is the fact we always pick the most inopportune times to try to eat there. We stopped going there once Sage moved from N. End to S. End ( fwiw - the S. End space is now The Gallows as it was too big for their britces). That was one of our favorites.

Will do. It's also a pain ********** to get to it on the T. The whole neighborhood us a huge pain ********** the couple of times I've gone.

I've heard of good things from The Gallows, their menu looked decent. I haven't been to many places in S End.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're going to Bobby from Boston, you should grab a bite at Myers and Chang. For non-shittastic Italian, I recommend Trattoria Toscana near Fenway.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Will do. It's also a pain ********** to get to it on the T. The whole neighborhood us a huge pain ********** the couple of times I've gone.
I've heard of good things from The Gallows, their menu looked decent. I haven't been to many places in S End.

Service at The Gallows is hit or miss when it is busy. Entrees are overpriced. I live around the corner from Toro so it is close to me and is fine but wouldn't go out of the way for it.

Myers and Chang is a good call.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you're going to Bobby from Boston, you should grab a bite at Myers and Chang. For non-shittastic Italian, I recommend Trattoria Toscana near Fenway.

Thanks for the recommendation! Will be sure to check it out.

I will be posting a list of stores/eats in a day or two. Thanks again gentlemen!:worship:

graphite

Reaction score
travelling alone or w/ a partner?

if with partner, i recommend Cuchi Cuchi as a decent date. It's a pretty girlie restaurant, all about cocktails and tapas-style eats.

http://www.cuchicuchi.cc/

Then go for a nice walk on the Mass Ave. bridge. It's supposed to warm up this weekend.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They have some hot chicks that work at cuchi cuchi in skimpy outfits. However, I would not really recommend going there.

Last edited:

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For tapas, your search should begin and end at Estragon. By far, the most authentic tapas in the city...and pretty cheap too.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cocktails at Estragon are lacking severely.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads