1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Weekend in Boston - Food & Shopping Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by plei89, Mar 31, 2012.

1. plei89

plei89 Senior member

I'll be travelling to Boston for a weekend and was wondering if anyone had any Food and Shopping Recommendations for me.

I'm not looking for anything super fancy like places to get Bespoke Shirts and Suits. Just good shopping places. Maybe some discount bargain places, equivalent to Century 21 in NYC.

Cheers!

2. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

A few years ago Filene's Basement (the original FB) in Downtown Crossing closed up shop to make way for a mixed use space in its location. This was in my opinion the best place to shop as they had the inside track on most of the post sale overflow from stores like Barneys, Wilkes, Mario's, Mr Sid, and Louis. Since this location shuttered and subsequent other FB stores have closed the discount opportunities here in Boston have died.

There are still the usual suspects at full retail like Neiman's, Saks, Barney's, and Louis in Boston. The 1st three are all in Copley/Prudential mall right in Back Bay with Louis being on the waterfront by the ICA. Newbury St is a good walk with Ralph Lauren, Scoop (never been) and Stel's. Take the redline to Cambridge adn you have Gary who owns Drinkwater's (close to Porter Red Line stop) and Andover Shop (Harvard stop). If you are coming from NY I wouldn't get too excited but if you are from somewhere that doesn't have some of the higher end stores listed above you can hit them all relatively quickly.

There are tons of great food options in Boston, Cambridge and Somerville too. I can offer some suggestions if you tell me what you want and where you are staying. Notables include Craigie on Main, The Hungry Mother, Butcher Shop, Hamersley's, Island Creek Oyster Bar, Neptune Oyster, etc. Many good places for beer bars as well: Deep Ellum, Redbone's, Lower Depths, Mead Hall, Bukowski's.

Forgot to mention Bobby From Boston - you need to go here. Vintage men's clothing without absurd prices. He has been written up in Esquire and has been doing this for years.

http://www.selectism.com/news/2011/03/28/bobby-from-boston-shop/

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. plei89

plei89 Senior member

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated :)

Looks like I'm going to make most of my time on food and sight-seeing. Being that I have access to the same designer stores back home and also discount stores.

I will definitely check Bobby From Boston, looks real neat!

I plan on updating this thread in the coming days with a general list of places I plan on visiting/eating.

4. drewtronius

drewtronius Senior member

I agree with pscolari - Bobby from Boston is a must ... As far as food, the North End is the Italian end of the city, over 100 restaurants within say 6 blocks and very close to Downtown/Faneuil Hall ... Other shopping destinations I would say Newbury St. as well, hit up Stel's and Rescue ... Then again you could always venture off the beaten track and come visit Bodega, close in proximity to Newbury St. / Copley ...

Hope you enjoy your time in Boston!

5. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

Oleana in Cambridge is worth looking into. Terrific.

6. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Pscolari, do you have any good recs for North End. I have heard of too many terrible Italian places there and have no desire to sort through the worthwhile ones. I've also not heard anyone who has decent taste in food recommend anything there.

7. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

Every time I try to eat in the N. End it has been a shitshow, especially at Neptune. The one place I would pass along to check out is Carmen but haven't been there. I have heard from a few different people who I trust that this is the best restaurant there. My wife and I tend to avoid N. End for some reason. I think it is the fact we always pick the most inopportune times to try to eat there. We stopped going there once Sage moved from N. End to S. End ( fwiw - the S. End space is now The Gallows as it was too big for their britces). That was one of our favorites.

8. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Will do. It's also a pain in the ass to get to it on the T. The whole neighborhood us a huge pain in the ass the couple of times I've gone.

I've heard of good things from The Gallows, their menu looked decent. I haven't been to many places in S End.

9. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

If you're going to Bobby from Boston, you should grab a bite at Myers and Chang. For non-shittastic Italian, I recommend Trattoria Toscana near Fenway.

10. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

Service at The Gallows is hit or miss when it is busy. Entrees are overpriced. I live around the corner from Toro so it is close to me and is fine but wouldn't go out of the way for it.

Myers and Chang is a good call.

11. plei89

plei89 Senior member

Thanks for the recommendation! Will be sure to check it out.

I will be posting a list of stores/eats in a day or two. Thanks again gentlemen!:worship:

12. graphite

graphite Senior member

travelling alone or w/ a partner?

if with partner, i recommend Cuchi Cuchi as a decent date. It's a pretty girlie restaurant, all about cocktails and tapas-style eats.

http://www.cuchicuchi.cc/

Then go for a nice walk on the Mass Ave. bridge. It's supposed to warm up this weekend.

13. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

They have some hot chicks that work at cuchi cuchi in skimpy outfits. However, I would not really recommend going there.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  14. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

For tapas, your search should begin and end at Estragon. By far, the most authentic tapas in the city...and pretty cheap too.

15. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Cocktails at Estragon are lacking severely.

16. graphite

graphite Senior member

I had tried Estragon last week for restaurant -- I thought the tapas were pretty nice. The other tapas place is Toro.

http://toro-restaurant.com/

For some decent cocktails, there's a speakeasy sorta bar that was recently redone in Central square Cambridge called "brick and mortar." It's right above Central Kitchen.

And then for some really nice drinks there's a place called "drink" near the waterfront.

http://drinkfortpoint.com/

small scene, great custom drinks and good atmosphere. expect a line though, or show up early.

17. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Another vote for Drink. It's a Barbara Lynch creation (of Nr 9 Park, Butcher Shop, Menton, etc.).

Also very close to Bobby from Boston is Gaslight.

18. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

If you are looking for an interesting place to go out for drinks, I recommend the Back Bar. It is basically a speakeasy in an alley. They have excellent cocktails and some decent food, specifically the meats.

19. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Lobster roll from James Hook and cannoli from Mike's Pastry.

20. Sean9

Sean9 Senior member

Filling in some blanks/echoing some things.

Most of the time the good bars and restaurants all share staff, chefs, ex-staff...

As mentioned with No. 9, Drink etc.
    Same goes for The Hawthorne, Lineage, Eastern Standard

These are the only two shops you really need to hit assuming you have your typical high end shops in your city.
    Bobby's
    Bodega

These are the only worthwhile boutiques to visit
    Alen Blizerien (Yohji, Rick, etc) Dotty is really cool and stylish and the staff is usually pretty helpful too. Had very few bad experiences here.
    Riccardi (Junya, Comme Des Garcon, D&G, NBHD, best denim in the city) sometimes Riccardi is a grumpy dick especially if he doesn't know you or doesn't think you're going to buy anything. The staff sucks.

maybe
    Stel's (probably not)

For drinks (in no order)
    Drink
    The Hawthorne
    Green St
    No. 9 Park
    Russell House Tavern
    Eastern Standard
    Deep Ellum

Food
    Toro