• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weekend bag, Rimowa trolley or Filson Duffle?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys prefer for a 2-4 day trip, a rolling piece of luggage or a duffle? The trip could be via car or plane, and either a vacation or simply going to stay at the girlfriend's over the weekend.

I like the casual style of something like a Filson 266(Sportsman's Bag) or a similar Jack Spade bag, but the trolley seems more practical.

Any thoughts? I have an old cheap trolley bag presently that is carry-on sized, so I"m looking for something to replace that and add versatility, or complement it. I pack light, just a toiletry bag, rolled up clothes, and maybe a pair of shoes.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Tumi Alpha Dog bag that I sometimes use, and a fancier Hermes one that I don't like to use as much.

godofcoffee

Reaction score
Duffels are clearly more stylish, and can be more practical depending on the situation. I don't like the look of the Filson 266, but it's clearly a quality piece of gear.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At trolley verses a duffle is like boots verses flip flops. They are both great but serve two very different purposes. Get the duffle for car or casual travel. Get a trolly for maximizing the amount of clothing and having it arrive neat and folded. Heavier loads - you will love a trolley.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
At trolley verses a duffle is like boots verses flip flops. They are both great but serve two very different purposes. Get the duffle for car or casual travel. Get a trolly for maximizing the amount of clothing and having it arrive neat and folded. Heavier loads - you will love a trolley.

This.

I have a great Mulholland Brothers duffle/weekender that I use for short trips when I pack lightly. Trips that are 5+ days, or if I'm required to bring something heavy, will usually require some kind of rolling carry/on. I do prefer the looks of my weekender and get a TON of compliments on it.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many times you can get a soft side onto a plane where they will make you check a wheeled bag.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filson. I have the 246 medium travel bag. http://www.cranes-country-store.com/...6-p-16307.html http://www.filson.com/products/trave...ium.70246.html Love how it looks, very durable. Only complaint is its a bit wide for sizers if its filled to capacity, had a gate agent kind of stare at it but I walked quickly through and she didn't say anything. I'd get a narrower version. It really is wide when you carry it too... I'd go with a duffel or something longer and more narrow. Its pretty similar to the dimensions of the 266 it seems. I'm probably going to get a Rimowa soon. If I'm going to an airport with long walkways, shoulder bags really aren't that fun, esp if you have a second carry on. Kind of on the fence about getting one...usually like shoulder bags because you can fit more and less problems on smaller planes/capacity in the bins, etc. (I use a Briggs and Riley 235x shoulder bag for longer trips..hate the black ballistic nylon though but its quite functional).

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
Many times you can get a soft side onto a plane where they will make you check a wheeled bag.
I thought that if it fits into the proscribed measurements then its ok, no matter what its got on it. Am I wrong?

Sazerac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I thought that if it fits into the proscribed measurements then its ok, no matter what its got on it. Am I wrong?

Sometimes on small regional jets they'll make you check anything that looks like a suitcase, even if it's under the usual 45" linear inch rule. A soft duffel might be seen as a "personal item" akin to a briefcase even if it's on the larger side.

FWIW, rollaboards are quotidian and common but that's because they work well for their intended purpose. If you've ever schlepped a large duffel with four days worth of crap through a half-mile of sterile corridor to customs, you wish to the gods you'd opted for a cheap-ass American Tourister roller over that sweet sweet pebble-grain duffel.

But if it's a one or two day trip, I really do prefer the style of a leather shoulder bag.

kruze

Reaction score
I travel weekly and for a day or 2 I prefer the duffle. However depending on the airport I go to, I will bring my wheeled small suitcase. Las Vegas airport sucks for terminal switching. Also if you fly southwest and land at the newer terminal in San Jose, itll take you 15 minz just to get to baggage claim/ground trans area. I am in the hunt for a Rimowa though. Wish prices weren't so high though.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo

When the flight is very full, the first thing they'll make you gate check is anything with wheels. As was already mentioned, the very small regional jets won't hold a wheeled bag in the overhead.

My large tumi duffel (no longer made
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
) has only been flagged a couple times and it's much larger than the current largest cabin rollers. When not chock full it will fit into a regional jet overhead.

kruze

Reaction score
On those regional jets, Ill just stick the suitcase under the seat. Usually Ill have my laptop or a projector in the bag and its a pain to remove unzip everything etc.

latkaguy

Reaction score
As a certified luggage fetishist (more to be pitied than scorned), I'm not a big fan of big duffel bags, as everything gets jumbled up inside. Call me anal, but I like to keep my clothes and stuff organized and neat. If I need to do carryon, I go with an old black Hartmann tri-zip bag with a Red Oxx shoulder strap. It has three equally-sized compartments that keep my stuff organized, plus on one side it has a sleeve compartment and zippered ticket pocket. The other side has yet another compartment that seals up with a flap and latch. The bag is made of a light nylon material. This gives me maximum packing space (no room taken up by a telescoping handle mechanism or wheels) and terrific organization. I also have a somewhat similar Briggs and Riley in Cordura but with two smaller zip up compartments and a larger central one. I can't tell you how much service these bags have given me. For shorter trips when I am simply in casual wear, I have an even smaller ballistic nylon Mountain Equipment Co-op bag that converts to a back pack. It has one large compartment and a flat zip up pocket on the front. Very handy, nearly indestructable and cheap ($46). Alas, both this and the Hartmann are no longer made, but you can find them used on eBay.

Checked luggage is another story. I also have a variety of Andiamo pullmans with wheels and telescoping handle -- the heavy and indestructable Valoroso 20" suiter and 28", as well as the lighter Bravo 26 and 28" ones. Both are trimmed with leather. The Valoroso is simply the sturdiest (if somewhat inelegant looking) suitcase made with a mixed Cordura/Ballistic nylon fabric that looks like fabric, and incredibly heavy YYK metal zippers. The Bravo line is of Tumi-like construction (same grade of Cordura fabric) and appearance, with YYK coil zippers. Both come with a variety of pockets and accessories for packing suits, shirts, and have the sturdiest provision for expansion that I have seen on expandable pullmans. Alas, Andiamo went out of business a little over a year ago. They lost the contract providing luggage for Costco, which is where most of their income came from, and that resulted in the demise of their premium lines as well. Liquidation World is selling off the last remains of their stock at a tiny fraction of what they originally went for -- my most recent acquisition was the Bravo 26" that originally sold for $585. I got it for $100. If you can snap one of these up, I recommend them.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't speak to the other bags, but if you're going to be using it for air travel, I think the Filson Pullman (243) makes the most sense. 21"x15"x9" (45" total) and opens flat. My only wish is that they had added a flap inside the main zipper - that thing will chew through your clothes if you're not careful.

latkaguy

Reaction score
Oops. Correction - the Tumi and Andiamo Bravo bags are made of ballistic nylon, not Cordura. The Valoroso bags weave Cordura and ballistic nylon together - they weigh a ton, and the canvas-like material appears to be tough enough for bullet-proof vests.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads