• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weddings - Groom + Groomsmen

RangerP

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm really sorry to bring this topic up once again on this forum as it has been tackled a few times. I've read most of the threads and I've also seen the AA article: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/T...DINGATTIRE.htm My problem is that I'm trying to steer my sister and her fiancee in the right direction and to be honest, I'm not 100% sure I know exactly what to suggest. I'll be a groomsmen at this wedding btw. Basically, the groom is looking to buy a black suit for his wedding and he has in his head that it will be a Hugo Boss suit... (*shakes head*) For the moment, I'm trying to steer him towards a peak lapel blue or grey suit...but he's not bitting. They then want to have us (the groomsmen) all match perfectly and since one of the groomsmen is struggling financially, they don't want us to all have an MTM made at the same shop. They are thinking of having us all rent a black suit somewhere for the moment. My real question is: Can you please point me in the direction of sources other than AA that discuss this topic? Preferably something that says to not wear black...and preferably something that discusses the issue of "groomsmen don't have to perfectly match each other". If there are pictures...then great. I haven't been able to find many wedding pictures where the groomsmen aren't identical. Seems like the magazines for woman have really really pounded that matching myth into women's heads. I've also see the Put This On discussion on the subject: http://putthison.com/post/334425916/weddingattireformen Please also note that a morning coat or stroller is completely out of the question for them Thanks in advance for your help! P.S. I know it's not really my place to judge what they decide to wear. My only problem is I don't want to be wearing a rented black suit. I'm already having nightmares about it and the wedding is 7 months!!!

RangerP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Can't find the guide I was looking for. Anyway, men don't match... Women probably shouldn't either, but it's more acceptable.

EDIT: Perhaps suggest if he wants something to match, boutinnieres?

Thanks for your input... Let me know if you ever find the guide.

If someone even knows of a book that talks about this, I'll gladly buy it...

The only books I own on clothing are:

Dressing the Man by Allan Flusser
Esquire: The Handbook of Style

Both don't mention anything...

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Tell your brother exactly why that is a poor look, and somewhere thrown in that he needs to give you the specs so you can buy an identical suit, but there's no way you're wearing a rental.

Or

2. If they insist on everyone having the same black suit, go to Jos. A Bank or H&M, or somewhere else that you can get them for under $200 and suggest you and he split the bill for the financially struggling friend.

twistoffat

Reaction score
I appreciate your concerns but don´t forget its their day and not yours. Actually its the brides big day final. If she is not happy then maybe she can influence him.
That said a nice black suit is a good choice which can be pepped up with a nice cravatte and waistcoat. In addition when the weddings over he can always use it for daily wear which is often difficult with wedding specific attire. Try to steer him but not lecture him

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear whatever the bride and groom tell you to, let them be happy, and don't try to tell them what to wear.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by twistoffat
That said a nice black suit is a good choice. In addition when the weddings over he can always use it for daily wear

Only if his day-job is as an undertaker.

twistoffat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Only if his day-job is as an undertaker.

bring out your dead
wink.gif

bigstar[1].gif

Frank Davis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by twistoffat
bring out your dead
wink.gif
bigstar[1].gif

Haha
laugh.gif
very funny. What about you go first. That said I think the wedding is for the bride and grooms and you really should just do what they ask just to make them happy. It doesn't matter if later you tell him what a nice suit is and what is not. Please just do that after the big day.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frank Davis

That said I think the wedding is for the bride and grooms and you really should just do what they ask just to make them happy. It doesn't matter if later you tell him what a nice suit is and what is not. Please just do that after the big day.

Yes, I suppose this is probably sage advice, depending on the OP's relationship with said brother (and said sister-in-law-to-be).

If you are willing and able, I would suggest to your brother the following: explain to him how awful black rented suits will look, and that he and his wife shouldn't want that to be the way their wedding party is immortalized in pictures, so as a present you'd like to take the other groomsmen to a Jos. A Bank or somewhere else with $200 identical black suits (or somewhere nicer if you can afford it) and gift each a suit for the wedding and beyond.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics